PDA

View Full Version : Which shocks are the best and Why? Click here to answer!

Brauap
12-21-2007, 09:16 PM
I want awsome preformace, great travel, relible shocks for the best price possible, if thatseven possible. I need your help! I am not looking to buy off of anyone now, so no offerin gme anything. So, please help me choose best.

I ride flat, jumps, woops (ruts :D ), huge rocks, just about anything. I am looking for the best all around shocks.

Also, I want to know the following:

1) What does like tripple rate mean!?

2) How and what does revalving mean?!

3) whats a remote rezzy (I know what a rezzy is..)

As you can see, I am stupid about shocks, so please, PLEASE explain!

Thank so much!:D
Braaup

glamiskid395
12-21-2007, 10:47 PM
your gonna get A lot of opions on this topic.

1) tripple rate is 3 different springs on one shock, each spring has a different weight rating, when the first/lightest one bottoms out, the 2nd kicks in and then the 3rd and heaviest.

2) revalving, ill let someone else explain that

3) remote rezzy is just a rezzy that attaches to your frame, not the shock, it is usually connected to the shock with one (or 2) braided line(s).

Brauap
12-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Thank you soo much!

Now, does anyone have any opinions?

XXXRACER165
12-22-2007, 01:30 PM
For Quality go for a piggyback rezzie shock, for longevity go with a remote rezzie shock. The difference between the two are cooling, as the shock heats up it begins to fade (valving doesn't work as good when this happens) and it starts to blow through it's travel rather fast & bottoms out easily. The more length the fluid has to travel the better it will cool, thus not fading as fast. Not everybody likes Works shocks on here but I highly recommend these shocks because they have a re-circulating remote rezzie & a thick 5/8" shaft for durabillity.

97WarriorRider
12-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
For Quality go for a piggyback rezzie shock, for longevity go with a remote rezzie shock. The difference between the two are cooling, as the shock heats up it begins to fade (valving doesn't work as good when this happens) and it starts to blow through it's travel rather fast & bottoms out easily. The more length the fluid has to travel the better it will cool, thus not fading as fast. Not everybody likes Works shocks on here but I highly recommend these shocks because they have a re-circulating remote rezzie & a thick 5/8" shaft for durabillity.

Whats the model of those works shocks? I think im going to go with used custom axis shocks this summer

XXXRACER165
12-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Works Pro G series

tanner 222
12-22-2007, 02:11 PM
ya i agree works is awesome. id also recommend pep shocks. both last a long time before revalving needs to take place. around here though (nova scotia, canada) everyone runs elka's. personally i like those too but id try to get pep or works. price wise all shocks are about the same pretty much. as for revalving, all i think it is, is getting the fluid inside changed and if you get it resprung then they change the springs on the shock too. im pretty sure thats all it is. correct me anyone if im wrong.

12-22-2007, 02:13 PM
what about the 450r revalve resprung route? I was thinking PEP race series or 450r fronts and getting all 3 shocks done for the price of just the front PEP.

416exfreak
12-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I was going to do that also (the 450r, revalved etc).

I decided against it after talking with some people. The PEP shocks hold more fluid, have bigger shafts and are higher quality.

Dont go cheap. Good suspension can mean the difference in 5-10 second in your lap times. Ive seen this personally.:)

project400ex19
12-22-2007, 02:38 PM
I have elka piggy backs, that are quad-rate(4 springs) and dual rate rear(2-springs) with the long travel link in the back. Which means I have about 2,355.00 into my shocks alone. I notice them a lot when I go big. Dialing them in takes a lot of track time. I know I don't have mine dialed in after 15 hrs total at a couple different tracks.

Now the real question, are they worth that price? I don't really think so at this point. I am faster with them I know that. But I think after I get them dialed in they will be awesome. I cant hardly get my rear shock stiff enough and cant get my fronts soft enough. With my Elkas not set up correctly the 450R shocks don't feel much different.

I would look into Fox Floats for my next shocks.

12-22-2007, 02:46 PM
but look at the riding. "I ride flat, jumps, woops (ruts ), huge rocks, just about anything. I am looking for the best all around shocks." thats almost exactly how I ride and i'm not so sure it would be worth it to spend so much on suspension. Yeah I would love some nice shocks but for trails and the average rider not racer I think the revalve and respring on all 3 shocks would most likely be more than you would really need. SureI can fly through the trails an over the whoops on stock suspension just adjusted to my weight and the rear the rebound adjusted but anything a little bit better will make the ride so much more enjoyable. The stock shocks are pretty good on small stuff but once you start to go faster and hit things bigger they down right suck. I wish I could ride a 400ex with the 450r shocks on it to justify if its worth doing that or just getting aftermarket. My brother has a Works remote rezzie rear shock its only preload adjustable and its better than stock. His shock feels like your floating over the whoops but i'm not sure if a revalve, respring will make it as or or better than that.

tanner 222
12-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
what about the 450r revalve resprung route? I was thinking PEP race series or 450r fronts and getting all 3 shocks done for the price of just the front PEP.

ya ive seen people do that and they are quite a good shock but its just not the same as an aftermarket shock. not the same quality like fluids and shafts like 416exfreak said. same as having a 450 and a 400ex with say a 416 or a 426 kit. well doesnt matter what kit you have or how much power you have in your 400 its just not the same as a 450. the power just isnt in the right spots if you know what i mean by that. i would just save up and buy some peps or those fox floats are also a great shock but they need to be revalved a lot i hear cuz of they run off just fluids and air.

12-22-2007, 08:57 PM
true the aftermarket shafts are bigger in diameter but fluid wise if you get them revalved and resprung they change the fluids so you would have good fluid. The only complaint I have ever heard from Fox floats is they can add a little body roll. Maybe it wasnt setup right idk. Aftermarket is the way to go if you can afford it.

Brauap
12-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Thank you so much guys! Right now I am leaning aganst the Works Pro G series like XXXRACER165 said above. I do understand I just ride trails and stuff, bt when I go down to West Virgina I go to this little cabbin to ride. There are many trails and half of them and about 5 miles of hills with about 1ft rocks. Now, that may not seem think much but god, after 50 ft your arms hurt!

Also, I dont want to have to revalve alot, for I have no clue on how to do it! :o:p Well, thanks and keep the opinions comming!

Thanks Again,
Braaup

F-16Guy
12-23-2007, 01:43 PM
I personally would stick with a shock that uses traditional deflective shim valving (pretty much every other brand, including OEM). The Works checkball and orifice design may make it hard to get them revalved locally. You may also consider getting a cheap used set of Works shocks with reservoirs and have them sent to Derisi Racing to get their Millenium rebuild. It converts them to shim valving with a new high flow piston, and it's supposed to make them work very well.

exrider49
12-23-2007, 10:45 PM
personally i would look for a used set off shocks on here axis,elka, pep etc..i woulnt buy works because not many places can re-valve them and i dont thing their good shocks because i dont see any pros run them, not bashing, JMO

AtvMxRider
12-24-2007, 07:26 AM
I have owned Works shocks before and they are much better than stock but they would be my last choice if I had to buy again. I have TCS shocks on my 400and my son's 300ex and I love them. For the price and the quality if shock you are getting they can't be beat.

Brauap
12-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
I have owned Works shocks before and they are much better than stock but they would be my last choice if I had to buy again. I have TCS shocks on my 400and my son's 300ex and I love them. For the price and the quality if shock you are getting they can't be beat.

Could I ask you some questions about your shocks please? I want to make sure before even thinking about spending 12 hundred bucks..

My questions are..

how much travel are there?
Is there a different brand I could use? I am not racing, I just want to make riding more comfurtable.
Would a set of Resprung revalved 450R shocks be better for me?
and could you add anymore info please? You sound like you now alot and you know what your talking about.. :D

Thank you soo much! :) :D ;) :p :cool:

buster024
12-24-2007, 10:26 PM
I would highly recommend that you check out Elka as well. Even well used Elkas, will out-perform 450r shocks. I run triple rate, long travel Elka's with remote rezzi's and love them. Admittedly, I've never ran on Works, but I can assure you that if you take your time, you can find high end shocks (used), for less than new Works. I was able to find the shocks I wanted, and ended up paying less than what it would have cost to buy "R" shocks (including a revalve). Between this site and eBay, if you really keep your eye out, I guarantee you'll find some nice gear.

A really good way for info is also to call the manufacturers direct. You can call Elka, Motowoz, PEP, etc, and get a wealth of info about what makes their product different/better than the other guys. Just google search the major manufacturers, and call them direct.

blinkjs
12-26-2007, 07:01 AM
I put 450r fronts on my 400 and had all 3 shocks re-sprung, re-valved for XC. I ended up with triple rate fronts, and dual rate rear. This made a huge difference over stock. Using the 450r shocks I was able to get all 3 shocks done for less then it would have cost to get aftermarket fronts. For what riding you do I would recommend finding some used suspension on here or ebay vs. spending 1200-1500 on some aftermarket suspension that you will still need set up for your weight and riding terrain.

416exfreak
12-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by blinkjs
I put 450r fronts on my 400 and had all 3 shocks re-sprung, re-valved for XC. I ended up with triple rate fronts, and dual rate rear. This made a huge difference over stock. Using the 450r shocks I was able to get all 3 shocks done for less then it would have cost to get aftermarket fronts. For what riding you do I would recommend finding some used suspension on here or ebay vs. spending 1200-1500 on some aftermarket suspension that you will still need set up for your weight and riding terrain.

When you buy aftermarket shocks (higher end) they generally set them up for you. I know PEP builds them to order. Elka will do the same if they dont have them on a shelf somewhere.

12-26-2007, 09:45 PM
the only downside to trying to get used adftermarket shocks is that most are for +2 a-arms or someone a different weigt or riding terrain. On occasion you do find the right set of shocks. But things set up for a wider front end means the valving would make it stiffer on stock width. I was leaning toward 450r fronts and all 3 shocks revalved and resprung only because you can get everything done for the price of just aftermarket fronts or a rear. I ride trails and love to jump when i find 1 but since its all natural terrain and quad made jumps very few have a landing ramp most are just flat land which makes landings so rough. Now you cant say thats because its flat land and it will always be rough because 3 LTR450's 2 of which had stock most likely revalved suspension and 1 with fox suspension would hit this huge jump, flat land it and it barely looked like they landed, they seemed to float. so if 450 shocks just revalved could take that than 450r fronts and the rear done should be plenty for the average guy. The only way I could see stock revalve, resprung being just "alright" would be for someone that was a serious racer like pro. If your riding trails and do occasion MX or play riding the 450r fronts and all 3 revalved/resprung would deffinately be the way to go.

Brauap
12-27-2007, 08:28 PM
I was wondering, could I say, add works triple rate springs to a 450r shock? or is it only for a WORKS 450R shock?

12-27-2007, 08:30 PM
there are a few people on here that bought 450r shocks and also bought the Works spring upgrade and didnt get a revalve and they were very pleased with the shock after that

Brauap
12-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
there are a few people on here that bought 450r shocks and also bought the Works spring upgrade and didnt get a revalve and they were very pleased with the shock after that

Ok, thanks, thats what I will do. I want decent shocks for a price I can afford, I'm only 13..:ermm: