PDA

View Full Version : All You Guys Runnin Methanol....

michaelj
12-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Who is running methanol, does it make that much of a diference compared to race gas? what carb. do I need and how do I set it up? What is it gonna cost me?

Thanks

CarGuy7a
12-21-2007, 07:19 PM
i've not ran methanol in my quad but i do run it in my race go cart engines.

the only difference between methanol and race gas is that the methanol will run cooler.

you will have to jet your carb alot richer running methanol because it takes more methanol to do the same job that race gasoline does which means you will also burn more fuel running methanol.

on the flip side. when running methanol, carb and fuel line maintenance is a HUGE MUST HERE. methanol will make fuel lines very hard and brittle seeing as how it has a fast evaporation rate. it will also (sludge) up your bowl if you let the fuel sit in there for long periods of time, it creates a chalky substance that is nasty and very hard to clean out of your carb. what i do to take care of this problem is i drain the bowl then flush the carb with gasoline and run the engine on gas. then drain the gas out of the carb and flush it again with wd-40.

you will also need some type of racing oil that is compatible with running methanol as it will create condensation in regular oil causing it to look milky. and that's not good having water condensation in your oil.

you probably could get away with running it in a stock carb provided you get the jetting right. but unless you plan on flat track racing or some other sort of racing, i would just stick with regular gas or race gas.