PDA

View Full Version : Got me a new toy 400EX

Myrkk
12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Hey everyone new guy here!!! :cool:

3 months ago I was invited to Pismo Beach with a few riders. After that weekend I was like I have to get me a set up where I can come more often. So I got rid of my sport compact car to get a 4x4 truck and I just got a 02 TRX400ex. So now I got my new toys I need to know a little more about them.

Questions:

Does the 400ex have an alternator? The battery is dead and after I charge it, it dies out after a few days.

I have some rust spots on the frame. What can I do to take care of those? Besides getting the whole frame repainted.

Any other tips or useful information would be greatly appreciated.

dustin_j
12-21-2007, 09:10 AM
The 400ex uses a stator to recharge the battery. It is several coils of wire that create electricity as a magnet rotates around it (in flywheel). If you buy a repair manual there are some checks you can do to make sure your electrical parts are ok.

If you don't want to repaint the whole frame (powdercoating is sweet though), you can just get a can of spraypaint close to the stock gray and touch up some rust spots, you might want to clean them up before painting though.

Enjoy your new toys!

Myrkk
12-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I know the powder coat would be the best way to go. But in the last 3 months I have purchased a new 07 4x4 F150 and a used 02 400ex. Powder coat just isn’t in the budget at the moment. But these rust spots sure do bug me. So I will definitely take your advice on spray paint. What do you think about the navel jelly? ( I think its called that)

maxfior
12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Get a new battery for your 400EX and then head on over to Wally World and grab the 1.5 or so amp maintenance charger, attach that and keep your NEW battery fresh! That's what I do with mine and she's always ready to rip! The battery charger is around $20 bones, pretty cheap investment. You could use it for your truck too if it's going to sit for a while...

Max

Mellow Yellow
12-21-2007, 10:30 AM
WooHoo!!! Another CA rider. Congrats on the new toy. Pismo is an absolute blast. If the battery won't hold a charge, it probably needs to be replaced. It could be the stator but batteries aren't to expensive and they don't last forever. Pick up one of those chargers while your at it like Max said. Good investment.
RIDE ON!

Myrkk
12-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Maxfior

What & where is Wally World. I would definitely like to look in to that charger.

Mellow Yellow

Yes indeed another CA rider. I am in Nor Cal (San Jose). Where are you located? How long can I expect a battery to last in these?

tim colston
12-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Myrkk
Maxfior

What & where is Wally World. I would definitely like to look in to that charger.

Mellow Yellow

Yes indeed another CA rider. I am in Nor Cal (San Jose). Where are you located? How long can I expect a battery to last in these?

walmart dude

Myrkk
12-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by tim colston
walmart dude

HAHAHA ok, never heard it as that. NICE! Thx

416exfreak
12-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Myrkk
How long can I expect a battery to last in these?

If its a good battery, then forever as long as you dont leave your igniton switch and/or lights on.

I have a Yasua. The one that came in it in 2002 actually:)