View Full Version : Best modern day guitarist?

tgreenz400
12-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Who do you think it is?

Personally i've thought its the lead guitarist from Dragonforce...but after listening to to the guitarist from Buckethead it kind of a tie to me...

trx400EXtreme
12-20-2007, 08:30 PM
what about the dude from A7X?

tgreenz400
12-20-2007, 08:34 PM
yea he's probably third to me. go on itunes and buy nottingham lace by Buckethead and you'll see, doesnt go crazy and a little over the top the the Dragonforce dude, but def makes it sound good and def has some rippage in em'.

trx400EXtreme
12-20-2007, 08:49 PM
just bought it.^^^^ not to shaby.:macho

Robin Hood
12-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Eric Johnson is pretty damn good. Other than that, the guys from Dragonforce.

andyman450r
12-20-2007, 09:49 PM
easy sinister gates. avenged sevenfold

Rich250RRacer
12-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I guess this all depends on the kind of music you prefer. I like many different types but lean toward bluesy style rock, and I'd have to say that Jonny Lang has impressed me the most. Even when he started out at 15 years old he had a sound that was comparable to Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Hendrix. And he has the voice of a black sixty year old blues singer. Good stuff.

brendn35
12-21-2007, 07:37 AM
fall of troy has a pretty good guitarist. it definately matters what kind of music you listen to. some screamo bands have excellent guitarists but some people wont listen because of the vocals

trick250r
12-21-2007, 08:06 AM
pat metheny

underpowered
12-21-2007, 08:59 AM
buckethead.............nuff said.:macho

STEVENJANNA
12-21-2007, 09:23 AM
This is a very hard question to answer, mainly because of all the variables to consider. Since guitar is so personal and influenced by the emotions of the person playing you have to ask, what makes a great guitar player? Technique, style, speed, versatility?

John Petrucci
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSlR90VEKlY&feature=related

Andrea Olberg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI2pv9Myrjg

If you want the best though I would have to say, it's hands down Shawn Lane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL4AMwrAcyE&feature=related

He was the worlds fastest guitar player and he was also a true virtuoso. It's ashame he's dead.

The best "rock" guitarist I feel is Zakk Wylde. He is so versed on the history of rock guitar and he is just so darn good.
live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdA4ciUrH-k&feature=related

Shredding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxrz4YYidw&feature=related

Melodic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFQOZ8mL4-g&feature=related

cbrooks118
12-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Zack Wild of Ozzy and Black Label Society is the best ever! check out his videos of him playing the national anthem behind his back. the black label society DVD shows him playing with his teeth. Its amazing.

A close second would have to be Chris Isaac of Anthrax. He's amazing

416exfreak
12-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Synester gates is nowhere close to being the best modern day guitarist. Neither is Hermann Li.:rolleyes:

I would say it would be Petrucci, Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, or the like. Micheal Angelo Batio is amazing too.

Alot of it depends on what genre your talking about. The guitar isnt just used for rock and metal...

NJ450rider
12-21-2007, 02:05 PM
wow im suprised no one has mentioned dimebag darrell of pantera/damageplan. thats were my vote goes. he could shred fast and play slower melodic stuff all the same.

Lonestar_R
12-21-2007, 03:41 PM
I would have say in the modern era:

Still Living: Zakk Wylde

And not among us: Dimebag Darrell Abbott

redlineranger
12-21-2007, 05:22 PM
one of my favorites for modern day guitarist is Synster Gates.

some people might not agree, but i always thought Creed's(when they were a band), there lead guitarist was amazing i thought. i think his name is Mark Tremboni or something like that.

if i really had to pick one though that is alive and still playing, and kicked *ss to all hell and back in the 80's and 90's, i would have to pick Slash:devil:

bulkdriverlp
12-21-2007, 07:55 PM
lyndsey buckingham

(who is that, right?)lol anyobdy dont know

STEVENJANNA
12-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by redlineranger
one of my favorites for modern day guitarist is Synster Gates.

some people might not agree, but i always thought Creed's(when they were a band), there lead guitarist was amazing i thought. i think his name is Mark Tremboni or something like that.

if i really had to pick one though that is alive and still playing, and kicked *ss to all hell and back in the 80's and 90's, i would have to pick Slash:devil:

TREMBONI LOL. Tremonti and he and the rest of Creed (with the exception of Scott Stapp) are now Alter Bridge. You can here there latest work on the trailers for the new Terminator The Sarah Chronicles TV show.

Ruby Soho
12-22-2007, 10:12 AM
dimebag or tom morello (spelling?)

NEPA250R
12-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Jack White

I saw the White Stripes twice this past summer, and was in awe both times. He is one of the few trying to keep the Delta Blues alive. For the record, I've also seen Zakk, Dimebag, Hammet, and a few others live in concert, and I was not as impressed compared to Jack White.

redlineranger
12-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by STEVENJANNA
TREMBONI LOL. Tremonti and he and the rest of Creed (with the exception of Scott Stapp) are now Alter Bridge. You can here there latest work on the trailers for the new Terminator The Sarah Chronicles TV show.

oh lol, i knew it was something like that... i always did like his playing, and he tears into some amazing solo's.

thanks for the info to cause i've been wondering what happened to the rest of them

AtvMxRider
12-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Kirk Hammett

HondaEXrider22
12-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Tom Morello without a doubt.

csr250r
12-22-2007, 07:36 PM
John 5??????

Im not totally into the DragonForce stuff it seems almost technoish. Slash, Dimebag, Zakk, randy rhodes, Vai. these are all amazing guitarist i think that its hard to compare which guitarist is the best when music is a preference.

John 5 is pretty freaking awsome i saw him live in concert, he is zombies lead, but he plays anything from country to blues to metal he can play with his teeth and all that. On a Tele!!

TWISTED
12-22-2007, 08:36 PM
George Lynch- Dokken, Lynch Mob
Tom Scholz-Boston
Trey Azagthoth- Morbid Angel
Ralph Santolla- Deicide, Obituary
Neal Schon- Journey
Eddie Van Halen
Eric Clapton
Peter Frampton
Kenny Wayne Sheppard

The list goes on and on..........

12-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by NEPA250R
Jack White

chadbarger18
12-23-2007, 07:06 PM
craig barger (my dad) lol
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=205470730

redlineranger
12-24-2007, 07:34 AM
anybody like Wes Borland?

i always thought he was pretty damn good too.

12-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
I would have say in the modern era:

Still Living: Zakk Wylde

And not among us: Dimebag Darrell Abbott

those are my votes with a yngwei malmsteen vote also

FreekShow
12-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by redlineranger
anybody like Wes Borland?

i always thought he was pretty damn good too.

Wes Borland is good, limp bizkit was not haha. Wes is singing for Black Light Burns now... i seem them live and they are really good.

my vote goes to mr dimebag darrell.

redlineranger
12-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by FreekShow
Wes Borland is good, limp bizkit was not haha. Wes is singing for Black Light Burns now... i seem them live and they are really good.

my vote goes to mr dimebag darrell.

yea lol, thats why i only said Wes Borland.

i was watchin some of his solos on youtube the other day, and then seen this thread again and that made me think about him.

trick450r
12-24-2007, 05:24 PM
wes borland...dimebag..and my personal favorite tom morello

sn0wrider
12-24-2007, 05:57 PM
MODERN DAY? Mike Einziger from Incubus no doubt... his solo's and acoustic's are amazing