PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

jim_beam_racer
12-20-2007, 07:39 PM
hey i was just seein how many guys blow there head gaskets allot because i got my yfz mid summer and ive blown 2 so far and would an aftermarket high flow impeller help
thanks

ooo what is your opinion for an engine builder

Ride1Rob
12-21-2007, 07:50 AM
A highflow impellar won't help with a headgasket blowing. That's a compression issue. Either your bolts aren't torqued down to spec or you have a highcomp piston and you're running stock headgasket. It could also be because of a warped head and it's not keeping a tight seal like it's supposed to. That'll cause you to blow headgaskets as well.

As far as Engine builders... there are MANY good engine builders. You just have to go with one that you're most comfortable with. It also depends on what you want done.

cbrooks118
12-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Had my YFZ for 6 months, did cam mod, retorqued to 7.2 ft lbs and no leaks. Like said above your head might be warped too, any quality machine shop should be able to mill it down in the high places. Just check for clearance. In engines .001 off makes a difference in whther or not the gasket seals properly

jim_beam_racer
12-21-2007, 03:33 PM
thanx much guys but how do i tell if the head is warped

yfzrider45
12-22-2007, 06:26 AM
I know this might not answer your question, but a hi-flow impeller helps with keeping your bike waay cooler, especially if you add the cv4 hoses

Ride1Rob
12-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by jim_beam_racer
thanx much guys but how do i tell if the head is warped

You can either take it to a machine shop, or you can use the process of elimination. If you have the correct gaskets and the head is torqued to spec and it's still doing it. That's probably the culprit.

jim_beam_racer
12-22-2007, 12:34 PM
thanx guys you help allot
i think once i get the money im gonna go get the impellar and cv4 hoses
what do you guys think about a yfz kick start kit

SRH
12-22-2007, 08:40 PM
are y ou tightening them in the right sequence? and torqing then loosening and then doing the final torque

jim_beam_racer
12-23-2007, 02:51 PM
umm this is the first time im replacin it but the first time it was done by a shop