PDA

View Full Version : Methaol Mix in my built 440

Big - D Racing
12-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Methanol..............
So I am interested in hearing everyone's opinion on Methanol. Good and bad. I am thinking of playing around with it a little and do a little experminting. ANy advice on what to do, what not to, etc. Thinking about running a mix of Methanol and Gasoline. Currently I have a fully built race 440 built from the ground up by Duncan Racing runnning VP C-12 108 octane gas, which is costing me damn near $10 a gallon now. Want to throw some methanol in the mix so I don't have to completely redo my carb setup, still allow my rubber parts within the carb to exist without getting ruined from the methanol, and still pick up some performance and power. Give me your thoughts.

I run an Edelbrock Carb, the eichner edition which has a pretty nice accelartor pump on it so I don't think it will be too big of an issue running a methanol mix in it.

scruff_mcruff
12-20-2007, 09:46 PM
mixing methanol and gas is a bad idea. its one or the other. and the days of methanol eating rubber are done with. we could leave it in race cars with rubber fuel lines for a whole season never flushing the system and didnt have any issues, and many of the people i raced with also did this. but if it brings you sane of mind all you need to do is flush the system with gas, start it up and idle for 30 seconds then shut it off. then fill it up with meth the next time you go out.

Big - D Racing
12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
tell me why it's a bad idea. Other people told me that is how they run it. I want to run what's best and need all the info.

slowleak
12-20-2007, 10:41 PM
how expensive is methanol? we use it in diesels as a mix with water to bring down the egt's, and methanol gives it a little kick. we just run washer fluid in the tank, but our system injects it into the intake. this sounds crazy to me to run straight methanol, but then again im a new guy to the whole go fast on a 4 wheeler scene

Big - D Racing
12-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Methanol is alcohol, you are suppose to get almost a 10% gain in power from using it and it allows your bike to run cooler. I haven't heard really any down sides to it. That's why I am researching it and getting everyone's opinion. And it is cheaper than my race fuel I run, which is VP C-12 @ $9.75 a gallon now. Methanol typically runs below $5 a gallon. SO it will also ease some pain in my wallet.

scruff_mcruff
12-21-2007, 12:39 AM
im just not a fan of mixing fuels, to many variables. i like running stuff straight.

and it takes 2.0-2.3 times more methanol to equal 1 part gas so it might not be as cheap as your thinking if you cant source a better price.

440exadee
12-21-2007, 12:49 PM
All you need is to buy a fcr carb and do a few adjustments as far as wasting more than race gas i have noticed it use the same if not less when im racing. in my opinion methanol is the best thing i could have done to my bike. i havent heard of anyone actually mixing the two i cant image what would happen to the motor when i get home from racing i make sure to empty out the float bowl cause methanol if it sits in the bowl it will turn into water like the morning dew. i been running it this way for about two months now never been happier with the way it performs, the only real hassle is when the temp drops the bike tends to lean out so run it a bit on the rich side other than that its great.

CarGuy7a
12-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by scruff_mcruff
im just not a fan of mixing fuels, to many variables. i like running stuff straight.

and it takes 2.0-2.3 times more methanol to equal 1 part gas so it might not be as cheap as your thinking if you cant source a better price.

^^^^EXACTLY^^^^^

you will get better (gas mileage) so to say out of the racing gas.

my dad used to build dirt circle track engines for dirt modifieds and they always switched to race gasoline for races that were 50 laps or longer because the gas mileage on methanol was terrible. and usually the guys that ran methanol in long races like that, ran out of fuel and were unable to finish.

dudeman_29
12-22-2007, 10:19 AM
What he said^^
We run alky in our dirt late model for most races, but when we go to the world 100 or the dream or any big race like that we run 114 because you cant go 100 laps on alky. Also if you do this add top end lube with your alky. I wouldn't mix alky with gas just a bad idea. Its like mixing cottage cheese with cole slaw both great sides but mixed with blow you up.