PDA

View Full Version : A couple Wiring Qs. and tether switch qs.

beobe99
12-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I know wiring Qs. have been beatin to death (cause ive searched) but none have clearly helped with what I have here.
I'm finished with my complete R build and the wiring is the ony thing holding me back from starting it and riding away. I had everything hooked up to where i THOUGHT it was solid. Kicked it over many times with no reponce. I bought a tester but havnt figured it out yet. after reading the posts I have found and triple checked the manual Im pretty sure I had the wiring wrong the first time around.

What I have

-A used harness from ebay (w/ everything cdi, coil, etc) this harness was a mess.. straightened it up a bit. I think dude had aftermarket lights hooked up.

-Tether kill switch

Im running NO lights.. I just want this to start and go! I took off all the black wire cover to track the wires best I can.

My Qs.

1. how many wires should be coming from the stator?
(I have one blk/red and I forget the other two (grn/yellow yellw/wht maybe) these other two are connected to a plug) to me it looks like these other two may of been added.

2. Is the blk/red my main power?

3. Do I hook the tether to the blk/red? Like just tape it in?

4. Can I cut and forget all wires heading to the rear tail light?

If someone could post and explain best they can the basic way to hook this up to get it running Id HIGHLY appreciate it!!!
If you could just explain one way (if theres other routes) I also appreciate it cause Im confused enough here hehe!

THANKS guys.

Aceman
12-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by beobe99
1. how many wires should be coming from the stator?
(I have one blk/red and I forget the other two (grn/yellow yellw/wht maybe) these other two are connected to a plug) to me it looks like these other two may of been added.
If you have a manual you can follow along with what I'm typing.
Y/Wh, Blk/Rd, Gr/Wh, Bl/Y

Y/Wh is not used if no lights.
Blk/Rd, Gr/Wh, Bl/Y go to the CDI.

2. Is the blk/red my main power?
Yes.

3. Do I hook the tether to the blk/red? Like just tape it in?
No, tether needs the Blk/Wh from the CDI and a ground wire.

4. Can I cut and forget all wires heading to the rear tail light?
I'd leave them myself but yes you can cut them.

Merry Christmas and you're welcome.;)

beobe99
12-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks Aceman. You and a few others are always ready to answer any tuff Qs. posted here on the forums and I appreciate it!!

I tap the tether into the blk/wht not make it the new connection?

After I get this running and it still does'nt start I'll be getting one of my buddies over here to help test the connections and stator, cdi, coil, etc.

Thanks again

means alot

Aceman
12-20-2007, 07:39 PM
I would permanently butt-splice onto the end of the blk/wh, to be clear, this is the wire coming out of the CDI. Squirt a little dielectric grease into the crimp, insert the wires, and crimp it. Either wrap the connection with tape or use shrink tube.

beobe99
12-22-2007, 06:53 AM
I think i got it down. havnt tried starting it yet though...

ONE last Qs. (i hope hehe)

the green wire coming from the CDI that goes to the coil..

Do i just simply ground that out.. like tap the ground into it mid stream?

CDI___________coil
Ground____I

(with having the tether and not running lights the manual made this a real pain in the arse... but after what you said (aceman) I looked at it again and it pop'ed.. I highlighted just the wires i needed to use.. But the manual doesnt point out grounds...(i dont think at least)

Aceman
12-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I think i got it down. havnt tried starting it yet though...

ONE last Qs. (i hope hehe)

the green wire coming from the CDI that goes to the coil..

Do i just simply ground that out.. like tap the ground into it mid stream?

Yes. The grounds all tie together. So you have a ground from your CDI to your coil with a ground tapped off going to your tether switch and another one going to a bare spot on your frame. One butt splice with 2 ground wires shoved in from each end would be what I'd do to connect all these wires. The less splices you have the better.