PDA

View Full Version : Need a Better Holeshot

QuadTrix6
11-11-2002, 02:59 PM
I wanted to know how you guys go about practicing holeshots ? and any pointers would be great, i need to get them down for next years racing

11-11-2002, 05:09 PM
Well if you have a practice gate at your house and have a friend or two, just keep trying on diffirent techniques! That is what me and my friend done,Fast250EX!

crashinmatt
11-11-2002, 07:28 PM
the best way is to have someone flag u to go or like bad_230 said get a gate and have someone drop it for u. the more people u have practicin the better that way u can feel how u do against others. ive seen small sets of gates for sale from somewhere, but cant remember where.

DGR Designs
11-13-2002, 04:53 PM
start in 2nd gear, CONCENTRATE!

Ryan
11-13-2002, 04:57 PM
Start in second gear? Why would you start in second. I always run threw 1st gear first?

AtvMxRider
11-13-2002, 05:02 PM
I've been starting in first but I'm going to pratice starting in 2nd. I can't keep the front wheels down in first. Starting in 2nd also prevents you from accidently shiffting to nuetral.

??300expro??
11-13-2002, 06:29 PM
Well you want to state in 1st gear on hard packed tracks, in sand or mud you want to start in 2nd gear.:devil

QuadTrix6
11-13-2002, 07:25 PM
so if i start in 2nd should i rev it higher so i don't stall ?

Bean
11-13-2002, 08:25 PM
for a 400, i would almost always start in first, unless the track is ungodly tacky, it has to much tork off the line and will bring the front end up which = lets off gas

Nausty
11-13-2002, 10:27 PM
I dragged a stock 400ex when mine was stock and he always started in 1st and I always started in 2nd. I always came out ahead. I never use 1st gear, by the time you you let out your shifting to 2nd right away or your either popping a wheelie or spinning way to much. 2nd gear is much more predictable off the line and faster. Also before the gate drops make sure your clutch is starting to drag but not so much that you move so you don't have to move your hand as much and your able to feather the clutch a little off the line instead of dropping it. I've always been told to watch the little pin that holds the gate up but i've had much better luck watching the very top of the gate and when it flinches is when I let go of the clutch.

Oh and another thing, try not to stage to far on the outsides of the gates because its easy to be pushed off the track as you reach the first corner. I try to stage on the middle to inside or right by the box so that I have some extra room and don't have to worry about rubbing other quads as much and I can just hold it pinned. If you in front and you know the other guys are behind you try to cut to the inside to block them off.

The track I ride at has lights and gates and the lights go off about a second before the gates drop so is what I do is back up all the way to the railroad ties which left me about 2 or 3 feet beind the gate so when the white light came on I could get a head start onto the gate. The thing is though is I didn't fully let out the clutch but just enough so that I was starting to move forward and by the time the gate flinched is when I fully let it out.

ah, holeshots are my favorite part of the race. I can't wait tell I can race again.

crashinmatt
11-13-2002, 10:35 PM
i would start in 2nd gear. 1st is way too slow. i was even havin trouble in 2nd, where i had to shift right away into 3rd. i was thinkin of 3rd gear starts. my one buddy does this on his r. but i decided to change gearin. i was gettin holeshots before and now with the gearin, and i just recently added a FCR. i know they will be that much easier. but u need to practice, so that u r consistant. just try to find some different types of ground, that is similar to the starts at the tracks u go to, and just try starts for a dead-stop. like in a race, but just to see what works out best as to what gear and rpms and body postion. i have never had a problem wheeliein off the line. i end up spinnin more than anything. but just try different things and see what works the best.

QuadTrix6
11-16-2002, 06:01 PM
i have a 14 tooth sprocket in the front so i will probably start practicing 2nd gear starts, should i just rev it high so i don't stall ? and how high should i rev it ?(example- half throttle, ...)

Nausty
11-16-2002, 08:21 PM
actually I don't neccesarily "rev" the motor. I slowly let out the clutch and as the clutch starts to grab I am easing on the gas and as I release the clutch farther gradually, I am gradually getting on the gas to full throttle. That way the transition is smooth enough that I don't have to worry about the front end popping up if I had popped the clutch and I can concentrate on getting maximum traction and having the front tires barely on the ground.

I hope that all makes since but its hard trying to explain something like this over typed words on the internet. Basically try to make it as smooth as possible and just try to take this as a grain of salt to the way you would already do you should really do it all in one motion really and there is no procedure to doing it when you do it.