PDA

View Full Version : Desert/Mx

ADTR14
12-20-2007, 05:08 PM
So heres the plan:

Take an 08 450r and turn it in to a capable racer for both the desert and mx. I have a few questions and would like everyones opinions on what suspension set-up to use. The brands i was considering are walsh, roll, and lonestar. I'm not sure on shocks yet, maybe peps.

I've seen quite a few guys using roll for desert but what about walsh or lonestar?

Am i going to see a definitive performance gain going with the savior or outlaw linkage vs stock swinger and a linkage?

Should i go ahead and save myself some money with a gusset kit? and for those that welded the gussets in themselves what kind of welder did you use?

Finally anyone have pics of their desert/mx bikes?

TRX450RACER174
12-20-2007, 06:20 PM
I will chime in cause the two forms of racing are completely different, i have done both and got the crap beat out of me in the desert cause my mx setup , IMO all the stuff you are asking about is good but the shocks is where its gonna be at, mx is to stiff in my opinion for desert racing you have to decide which form of racing you are gonna be doing more and get it setup for that.

Ty's400
12-20-2007, 09:36 PM
I'd check out Teixeira Tech products. The owner Ed Teixeira won the Best In The Desert championship this year and has great motocross experience as well. He is turning out fine products and just released a new linkage that will work with your stock swingarm for any application. Here is the link www.teixeiratech.com

carlygirl
12-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
the shocks is where its gonna be at, mx is to stiff in my opinion for desert racing you have to decide which form of racing you are gonna be doing more and get it setup for that.

Buying Fox shocks could fix that.

ADTR14
12-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
I will chime in cause the two forms of racing are completely different, i have done both and got the crap beat out of me in the desert cause my mx setup , IMO all the stuff you are asking about is good but the shocks is where its gonna be at, mx is to stiff in my opinion for desert racing you have to decide which form of racing you are gonna be doing more and get it setup for that.

Well i guess it will give me an excuse for two bikes:D I'm leaning toward desert and doing some of the bitd and score events and probably just local mx races. Anyone used the teixeira Lt arms?

TRX450RACER174
12-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by carlygirl
Buying Fox shocks could fix that.

I know i just bought a set and there F in great, but my bike is still more of a mx bike than a desert bike but i do have desert tires for it and plan to do a couple of desert races.

bloodmoney23
12-20-2007, 10:44 PM
well if Lonestar dont take these ELKA "Dune Edition" shocks back that will do me no good cause i live ohio I will have some nice Elka "Dune Edition" shocks for sale soon....brand new in box too.

ADTR14
12-21-2007, 08:14 PM
So i came across a guy today that had a roll and motowoz set up. He had nothing but good things to say about it. Anyone have a similar set up?

BlaineKaiser450
12-21-2007, 08:22 PM
my motowoz/SMC setup is comparable to peps and 100% better than elka IMO

Ex'r Marlin
12-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Well, IMO, having the two quads would not only be a great luxury, but a wise choice too.

Depending on how hard you are on the quad may help in your decision too.

Having a "MX" quad, I think you may want to have more "engine mods" done than compared to a "Desert" quad.

Best of luck to you... Hopefully I will see out at one of the events!

If it means anything, I think the others have given some positive feedbacks. I too have heard good things about the adjustments you can get out of the Fox Evol shocks, like I believe carlygirl mentioned.

Ty's400
12-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Yes Fox makes a great shock and I know that their shock with the Teixeira Tech desert a-arms is dialed in. That is the setup that won BITD. Ed Teixeira told me they had little time to do testing with the shocks before a race and they were really good.

ADTR14
12-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
Well, IMO, having the two quads would not only be a great luxury, but a wise choice too.

Having a "MX" quad, I think you may want to have more "engine mods" done than compared to a "Desert" quad.

If it means anything, I think the others have given some positive feedbacks. I too have heard good things about the adjustments you can get out of the Fox Evol shocks, like I believe carlygirl mentioned.

Well i was mostly kidding being that I'm a college student that also wants a new truck!

Ya thats why i was thinking of doing everything i could except for a high comp piston. Things like sparks exhaust, cam, ignition, and intake.

Lots of people seem to like fox and how they perform, but i've heard that you need to adjust them often and take into account things like elevation to get them set up properly. Lately I've taken interest in maybe a motowoz/Smc combination or something similar. Dunno yet theres just too many options.
Thanks for everyones comments

BlaineKaiser450
12-27-2007, 12:53 PM
i have a motowoz/smc front end and its comparable to a pep/jb setup IMO

Ty's400
12-27-2007, 12:55 PM
As far as adjusting the Fox shocks, they recommend that you do check the air pressure in the two chambers quite often. This doesn't take long at all and is as easy as making sure your tires have the correct amount of pressure. I also know that many people don't check the pressure in the shocks very often and they are fine. The statement people have made about the pressure changing while racing/riding is more or less a myth. This idea came from the fact of the snowmobile shocks, when the race teams worked on their sleds in the 60-70+ degree temps of the semi then took them out to freezing or below temps to race. In that case the air pressure in the chambers may need adjusted. I feel it is worth it for a great shock ;)