PDA

View Full Version : 50 cc Limited class rules

CashCrew
12-19-2007, 10:48 PM
I was wanting to enter my 5 year old in a few races in the atva 50cc limited class. The rules state parental speed limiting devices may be removed. My boys quad came from the dealer with a CDI box that doesn't have this device. Will he be able to run this CDI or do I have to get one that has the speed control device. Also his quad came with a UNI filter, no so called air box. Are we going to run into rule problems? Any help would be great.

quad1rider
12-20-2007, 12:04 AM
Ok the dealer you got the quad from must have already removed the limited cdi as it would have caused the quad to run at approx 5 mph so your good there...

The air box or air filter issue is a might different its says you can change the air filter but not remove the box and then it says you cant in the supplmental ..

this is how you go about it bring a uni and a philips and if everyone else aint using them then take your off... its only 2 screws and an air screw adjustment and your ready to go.

quad1rider
12-20-2007, 12:10 AM
hey keep an eye on rider 80... Boy he is quick jonathan vargo he runs 50 mod . 50 pro and 70 cvt pro fastest bugger i seen on 4 rubbers for his age...

whats your boys name i'll watch for him too.

CashCrew
12-20-2007, 05:32 AM
Problem is I don't have the so called original air box. It didn't come with it.

Hetrick Racing
12-20-2007, 06:40 AM
what kind of atv ? we have a bunch of stock boxs or filters around
the cdi box is probably fine.

etondaddy
12-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by quad1rider
hey keep an eye on rider 80... Boy he is quick jonathan vargo he runs 50 mod . 50 pro and 70 cvt pro fastest bugger i seen on 4 rubbers for his age...

whats your boys name i'll watch for him too.
BIG John............. I see you've made it to the real board.......... good to have yea. Good luck to Jonathan at the nats.

Check out Kyle's White Knight build post......... a couple of WV boys have hijacked it but that's cool.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=326142&perpage=13&pagenumber=1

Mike Kozura

CashCrew
12-20-2007, 09:02 AM
The quad in question is a DRX 50

bulldogfallon
12-20-2007, 09:22 AM
What carb is on your 50....

We have some air filter relocator tubes and DRR does make a direct carb mount filter as well

Marc from Hot Quads is an expert on info for the stk limited class

334-444-6303

CashCrew
12-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Carb in question is a OKO 21 mm. It came with a direct mount Uni filter.

hotquads1
12-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by CashCrew
I was wanting to enter my 5 year old in a few races in the atva 50cc limited class. The rules state parental speed limiting devices may be removed. My boys quad came from the dealer with a CDI box that doesn't have this device. Will he be able to run this CDI or do I have to get one that has the speed control device. Also his quad came with a UNI filter, no so called air box. Are we going to run into rule problems? Any help would be great.

which cdi did the dealer install ?, and are you sure the filter is a UNI or could it be The DRR uni look alike filter? I am not aware of any 2007 DRR's that came with an airbox so you do not have to have one. You may call me Wed the 26th , I will be in the office , I think I can answer any questions you might have.Merry Christmas
marc
334-705-0084

quad1rider
12-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Keep in mind this guy is asking questions to run an honest race , dont tell people they can drill the carb and run without oil injection he is asking about a darn near stock class. You cant change a 2005 single a-arm to a double just because that is how they come today... Most newcomers to the race scene are easily convinced that its ok to cheat because everyone else is... Honest racers are more than capable of winning without cheating...

Check the ATVA/AMA supplimental rules before allowing any modifications to your quad... I found that running a( pure stock )motorcycle class 1 50 that the new 2008 KTMs had seizing problems and after they had over went a slight port job they ended up running fine... PROBLEM they became no longer stock...

If it says you can modify it do so, if not dont cost your child a race by listening to someone else. Better to go to the source at ATVA doug morris...or you can call one of the techs at DRR to see if something was changed on your model and year Quad.

Keep it clean!!!

CashCrew
12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks marc. I will call you wed. I think it may just be the UNI look alike. I will try to find info on the CDI before I call.

bulldogfallon
12-26-2007, 03:43 AM
Your dealer should be able to help you with info too?

Doug Morris is the last stop, so what he says is what is done.

50 limited can be frustrating as most of the time you will end up being slower with the changes.....

For a 50....tune the carb and cvt the best you can and give the rider as much seat time as possible.....ex) practice holeshots, turns, weight placement, jumping....etc) If they ride smart and stay healthy they will be at their best

Remember build for your rider, not what everyone else is doing...

EX) Each rider has a duifferent throttle style etc....some are off and on constantly and some keep the throttle pegged all the time.

I would tune a CVT differently for eah rider....

Your local rules may also be drastically different than the ATVA, so keep this in mind as well....

We have a few series in FL and the rules don't always allow us to tun run the same class witht the same quad.

I would build the quad for the track where you will at 90% of the time...and not worrying about a 1-2 race type thing.

Good luck

CashCrew
12-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the response Gary. Looks like we will likely run the Worcs series out west here. Doesn't seem like there is enough local kids my boys age racing out here. Here in Vegas there isn't even a local track. However they just opened a new one Friday 30 miles south of here. Going to check it out on Friday. Was hoping to put him in a local race this coming weekend in Mesquite, NV. However was told they didn't think they would have enough kids to field a class for him.

Adrian

quad1rider
12-26-2007, 08:31 AM
Gary Fallen, You i must meet at some point ..posts that hold a great deal of info and allow a newbie to make their own choices based on excellent advice ,,, not pushed to change or mislead on how to get around rules

When I was a first timer 3 no 4 years ago the first thing i was told to do by a competitor was plugg the oil injection with a bebee now this was strange to me but the next person i got close to gave me more advice (on how to cheat). It became a race of cheaters until it all blew up in a huge explosive mess. Needless to say I told the District to resolve the issue they should allow the points class to become a 50 production class. It seemed to work an rider ability became the key ingrediant to victory as well as it should be...

Its always in the clutching ....keep that in mind.. then its your riders ability and skill set.... the fastest engine dosent always have the fastest rider on it. I have seen it a dozen times and thats when as parents the winner becomes a cheater...

play fair and ride hard.

quad1rider
12-26-2007, 08:41 AM
cash

promoters are in the business of making money if you show they will find a place for your son to race... it might be combined with the 70 or another 50 class but non the less promoters dont turn down gate and rider fees... at least that's been my experience.

if they run him with the 70 class it could help him get faster if hes competitive. I was worried the first time they did this to us but i soon seen an improvement and there are some slow 70 riders out there that get passed up as well..

GOOD LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU ALL DO!