PDA

View Full Version : C++ Matlab Programming? Help!?

Robin Hood
12-19-2007, 07:23 PM
I have my final for Computer sciences tomorrow at 830 am and I honestly can't figure out this junk for the life of me. Is there anyone on here who could teach me a crash course in it in like.. an hour? Lol.

Or possibly a website that could give me the basics of it? The book that I have from the course is terrible and doesn't teach anything at all.

Also, does anyone else have these courses in college/high school? I'm going for civil engineering and I'm dumbfounded as to why I would need to learn this crap for my major.

parkers30
12-19-2007, 07:51 PM
good luck... none of it ever made sense to me either luckily, I never had a class specifically on it.

wilkin250r
12-20-2007, 02:39 AM
I did quite a bit of Matlab programming. I used it it to solve linear equations.

I don't think I used it a whole lot outside of school, but I can definitely see where it might be useful.

Robin Hood
12-20-2007, 03:49 AM
I think the only connection that I can see is for solving equations like you said. I probably could have learned this material a whole lot easier if both my lecture and lab teachers spoke english... The chinese dude talks so fast that he sounds chinese, and the hindu is just as bad. The class's average on the last mid-term was a 30, just to shed some light on how bad everyone is doing.

I gotta get goin. I commute to college and I want to beat the traffic on 80. Later guys. :scary:

Ralph
12-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I did quite a bit of Matlab programming. I used it it to solve linear equations.

I don't think I used it a whole lot outside of school, but I can definitely see where it might be useful.

Make sure your on the site around 3 then :D I also have a matlab final and i havent been able to work with it much.

I think all we have to do is solve two equations and plot it or something. It shouldnt be too bad considering i got all of the internet to get me through the final

Bradracer18
12-20-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm an engineering major(senior) and have never used it. I know some guys who have, but I don't think its necessary to learn(unless the course makes you). If you are just solving linear equations(two equations two unknowns, or 3 and 3, or 4 and 4)....just solve them the math way....thats how I do it.

Regular_Joe
12-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I am a programmer. Programmers are geeks. Geeks make webpages.

Anytime I want to learn how to program something I go to the web. I haven't bought a book in years. No point. I can find anything I need and more on the web. Generally you can find tutorials, example code, etc.

Go to google and do a search on "matlab tutorials".

Tommy 17
12-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Mat lab is VERY VERY useful in engineering... infact I live on MatLab and Soildworks with comos for FEA analysis...

Matlab is very useful for vibrations due to the fact that it can solve HUGE HUGE matrices in the matter of minutes to see what all the degrees of freedom are doing... I used it to do analysis and draw me a picture of what happens when you hit the end of a beam... it can plot it all out exactly for ya... let me see if i can find the file and I'll show you what i'm talking about...

I know learning it sucks but if you need some help let me know... I'm sure I can help ya out!

Tommy 17
12-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Make sure your on the site around 3 then :D I also have a matlab final and i havent been able to work with it much.

I think all we have to do is solve two equations and plot it or something. It shouldnt be too bad considering i got all of the internet to get me through the final

Ralph I forget my teachers name... I think it was leso but if hes a older guy about 60 and bald and a complete jackass good luck! haha

what I did was tell him my computer locked up... he wrote the entire program for me and gave me a 100 on it! haha

Robin Hood
12-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Ralph

See now here's the problem - We learn matlab through using our computer, but the exams + finals were ON PAPER! Give me 5 minutes MAX with an equation + plot and I can get it done, but if I'm just staring at a black piece of paper how the hell am I going to remember what works and whatnot?

The final was only an hour long, I killed it off in 20 minutes since most of it was true and false with some simple equations. This is the only class that I'm worried about passing. :scary:

Ralph
12-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
Ralph I forget my teachers name... I think it was leso but if hes a older guy about 60 and bald and a complete jackass good luck! haha

what I did was tell him my computer locked up... he wrote the entire program for me and gave me a 100 on it! haha

Yeah, i got leso. The final was easy, i should have at least a 95 in the class but he screwed the whole class on one assignment so my grade got dropped down some. Check this out....makes me angry

JessetheKid
12-21-2007, 06:47 AM
That program was horrible if u ask me, I had no clue what was going on, mainly because my teacher spoke very horrible English and it was nearly impossible to understand her. She did not know how to answer questions either. Good luck bro. I used to wait till she handed the homework back out then copy someone else's and turn that in :D