PDA

View Full Version : Trail Tech Vapor!

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Im finally getting one this christmas, cant wait to put it on. Anyone who has one of these, what did you have to do and how hard was it to install?

Thanks, eric

08400EX
12-19-2007, 06:48 PM
COOL, you will like it a LOT!

The install is simple, just follow the instructions.

One tip concerning the connection for the tach. Do the "wrap" style option (it is in the instructions) instead of the direct 12v connection to the coil. For some reason the 400EX doesn't give accurate readings when directly connected to the 12 Positive side of the ignition coil. All others I have hooked up did fine that way, but the 400EX doesn't for some reason. Th wrap method is simple, you just coil the red wire for the tach around the spark plug wire near the coil about 5 times and cable tie it securely. You will get more more accurate RPM readings this way.

Oh, one more tip, you can run the system ground and tach ground down to the mounting bolt for the ignition coil. It is easy to get to and will give you a good system ground. Since you have to run the tach wire there anyway you just run those 2 with it.

I am also working on a simple adapter to mount the temp sensor to the oil cooler instead of using the supplied spark plug cylinder head temp sensor. I personally prefer to have my oil temp displayed as I can personally better guage my operating temp that way. I will keep you posted to what I come up with.

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info!

08400EX
12-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Here a few mounting options/ideas for you.

This is how I did my wife's 250EX, it is pretty simple. All you do is move the key switch down to the right side by drilling another hole. Then mount the Vapor where the key switch was with 2 screws from the underside of the "console". Then you can run all of the Vapor wires down thru the old key switch hole for a stealthy install.

On my 400EX here is how I did it temporarily until my Scotts Damper and Flexx Handlebars arrive. It will be moved forward with a solid plate when I mount it permanently with those items. Since I will have to remove the factory indicator/switch console for the above items I got the optional Indicator Light Dash. That way I could move my Neutral and Reverse lights on to it (left side). Plus I will soon hookup the High Beam Indicator and Oil Cooler Fan Indicator light on the right side lights.

For my temp fix I used the supplied Handlebar mount, it is a tight fit and works really good there. If I weren't adding the other items soon I would be perfectly happy with it like this.

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2007, 07:35 PM
i'll probably do the first one because im not getting the dash thing with it:(

But ill probably do the 250ex way.

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2007, 07:36 PM
So, what do you think about the vapor, quality wise and feature wise.

08400EX
12-19-2007, 07:46 PM
You will like it mounted that way, it is actually higher and in a better field of vision.

I am not aware of anything that can touch the Vapor in every way, and certainly not for the price. I have been using Trail Tech products for at least 6 years, have them on all of mine and wouldn't use anything else. Plus their customer service and enthusiasm for the sport is top notch.

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
My dads actually ordering it from motosport.com

$109 and free 2-day express shipping.

We were originally gonna get it from rocky mountain for $95 shipped, but they were sold out. He called like 10 other places that were sold out. I came across motosport, and it seems they're the only ones who have one in stock and can get it here in time for x-mas. Im happy and hes happy because he didnt wanna ruin my x-mas by not getting it.

I cant wait:blah:

12-20-2007, 06:13 AM
i got mine from c&d racing for 98 or 99 shipped...

they are great, very durable and accurate enough for me...i have the endurance on my wifes 400ex and the vapor on my 450r...with the billet bar mount...which is a must have because the plastic mount is pretty much cheesy junk

here is a teaser video...don't mind the rattle...i had just finished changing my oil....i had taken the skid plate off, but left the clamps on the frame...that is the rattle you hear...and ignore that yappy dog in the background...she hates the quads

vapor (http://media.putfile.com/450r-vtrail-tech-vapor-computer)

Def-e-nition
12-20-2007, 06:51 AM
...and what happens if you have a pro taper BAr with the center bar thing ?
do you simply remove the center bar clamp then ??

thanks .

08400EX
12-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition
...and what happens if you have a pro taper BAr with the center bar thing ?
do you simply remove the center bar clamp then ??

thanks .

There are many different ways to mount them, pretty much up to your imagination. I even saw someone here that has one mounted inset in the foam of one of the Pro Taper Rectangular pads.

Here is a pic of one with the round cross bar pads...

http://www.trailtech.net/media/photos/atv_computer_mounting_photos/banshee_dash_w250.jpg

Def-e-nition
12-20-2007, 07:25 AM
recommendations ?
Endurance or Vapor ?

I like Either .

08400EX
12-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Def-e-nition
recommendations ?
Endurance or Vapor ?

I like Either .

Hands down, get the Vapor.

The Vapor has the tach, which is handy for shift lights and the bar graph is cool. It is also worth the extra $$ just to be able to properly set your idle and do idle drop settings without buying and/or hooking up a seperate tach.

Also the Vapor is backlit all the time when using it (if hooked up to 12v) while the Endurance does not. Not a big deal unless you ride at night.

Engine temp on the Vapor is also handy.

Both are great for speed, odo, ride time etc. ... and both are very durable/dependable.

Def-e-nition
12-20-2007, 08:30 AM
excellent .
Thank you .
I do Long distance riding , so I thought the endurance might be the better bet , pity it doesnt have the Rev counter . Would have been nice .
does Trail tech not believe that we also use a limiter too in endurance events ? lol .

08400EX
12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Ha, Ha, too funny about the "Endurance" comment. The Vapor is just the newest evolution of an original great idea/design.

I heard rumors from some insiders that an inexpensive $25-30 Standalone Tach is coming out soon from Trail Tech. Would be a great add on to the original Endurance owners.

Also I just noticed your locale, if I recall someone in your country made a very cool LED flexible tachometer a while back. I imported and used one on my XR650R years ago, worked great. It was literally a peel and stick flexible LED strip that was a fully programmable tach with shift lifts etc. If you look close in this pic it is attached across the top of the Endurance.

12-20-2007, 12:23 PM
i find the shift lights unusable as you have to be looking directly at the unit to see them...unless at night maybe...i don't have a headlight anymore so i can't say for sure...

08400EX
12-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i find the shift lights unusable as you have to be looking directly at the unit to see them...

There are excercises that can help you with your peripheral vision problems ... http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/graemlins/icon107.gif

Just Kidding with ya! http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

Hondamaster5505
12-20-2007, 01:31 PM
hey, how accurate are the rpms, are they really jumpy, kinda jumpy, or pretty accurate.

In that video up there, it was cool to show me them, but it might be different because the they're diff. quads. just wondering

12-20-2007, 01:38 PM
they are kinda jumpy if you look at the graph, i usually use the number display instead of the bar graph...if you look at the start of the video, it is the 1950 showing on the bottom right of the unit...

it shouldn't matter if it is on a 450r, 400ex, or 250x...the rpm lead is attached the same way...by wrapping it around the coil just before the spark plug

i thought having those lights would be good, but they are not bright enough to see during the day...or it may be because i am just going so fast that i am past the spot that the light shines, so maybe the guy behind me can see them :cool:

08400EX
12-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
hey, how accurate are the rpms, are they really jumpy, kinda jumpy, or pretty accurate.

In that video up there, it was cool to show me them, but it might be different because the they're diff. quads. just wondering

Mine have always been very smooth and reflect the engine RPMs about as accurate as visibly possiple. I set my Red shift light to hit right before the rev limiter and it is dead on every time. I have used them on everything from 1976 Honda TL250 trails bikes, 1980s era XLs, XR and CRF models and EX Quads. Worked great on all of them.

One tip regarding wrapping the tach lead around the coil wire, too many and it picks up interferance, tool little and it doesn't read accurately or steady, about 5 wraps seems to work the best. On the bikes that I have hooked up the tach lead directly to the positive coil wire (one of the ways instructed to hook up in the trail tech manual) they always read perfectly, OR it would read almost double RPMS above 2000. If that is the case the wire wrap usually works instead. There is also adjustments in the setup for cylinder numbers and even an adjustment for ignition systems that change spark values (pulses) at certain RPMS. Cool stuff!

12-20-2007, 02:33 PM
08400ex...5 wraps...my instructions said 10...that may be why mine wonders slightly...i think i'll take off a few wraps

08400EX
12-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
08400ex...5 wraps...my instructions said 10...that may be why mine wonders slightly...i think i'll take off a few wraps

5 is what Travis at Trail Tech always recomended to me.

Check page 9 of the Owners Manual and the illustration shows 5 wraps : http://www.trailtech.net/media/instructions/vapor_instructions.pdf

You can also try the way their most recommended method, the positive coil hook up. It is also the most robust and easiest. I have found to work on everything but my 400EX, it might work perfectly on your 450R.

Here is a link to their instructions for that:

Vapor Low Voltage Tach Sensor Installation
http://www.trailtech.net/media/instructions/vapor_low_voltage_tach.pdf

Hondamaster5505
12-22-2007, 10:59 PM
yo, 08400EX,

can you give me step by step instructions on how you mounted the vapor to your wifes 250ex.

Like the size drill bits you used, and you get the point, just how you installed it on the plastic piece. It would be greatly appreciated:D

As soon as i open it on christmas, im gonna be downstairs starting to install faster than you can say vapor. :eek2:

haha

pro-rider46
12-27-2007, 01:24 PM
jsut a quick question for 08400ex, that flexible led thing, do you know what the name of it is, i am pretty interested in taking a look at it.

08400EX
12-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Hondamaster5505,

I will see if I can write that up for you when I get back from a 4 day ride/camping trip over New Years :-)

Originally posted by pro-rider46
jsut a quick question for 08400ex, that flexible led thing, do you know what the name of it is, i am pretty interested in taking a look at it.

I can't remember, I have also been searching forit recently on Google and can't seem to find it. I will post or send a PM if I find it.

Hondamaster5505
12-27-2007, 04:43 PM
08400EX:

Dont worry about it.
Since i didnt want to take a chance at damaging it in a rollover, i already mounted it to my bars with the provided fat bar clamp. I was able to get it so its almost in the middle and right next to the key switch.

Its so awesome, but i didnt hook up the temp or speed sensor yet. Only the power and tach. My dad is gonna help me hook up the other two things this friday, becuase i dont wanna mess with it. It said something about drilling holes in the caliper and crap, and i wanna make sure i dont screw anything up.

But thanks anyways:D

pro-rider46
12-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by 08400EX
Hondamaster5505,

I will see if I can write that up for you when I get back from a 4 day ride/camping trip over New Years :-)

I can't remember, I have also been searching forit recently on Google and can't seem to find it. I will post or send a PM if I find it.

thanks, i will do the same for ya