PDA

View Full Version : 110cc?? help?

Jcrew2
12-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi, I want to get my 9 year old daughter a mini for christmas, she has never rode one by herself but loves to put around on minewith me.
There is a place selling a 110cc pink camo one, I am sure it is china junk but it is not like she will be riding this thing on a daily basis. Here are the specs.

ATV 4021
Details Engine Displacement: 110cc
Dimension ((LxWxH)(in):48*26*34
Wheel base(in):32
Min.Ground clearance (in):3.9
Dry weight(lbs): 154
Max.loading capacity(lbs):88
Max. Speed (km/h): 20
Engine type: single-cylinder, air-cooled, four-stroke
Power (kw/r/min): 2.5/7500
Max.torque (N.m/r/min): 3.5/5000

I am not that good with this kind of thing so if anyone can tell me if this thing is going to work I would appreciate it. I would have her do some light trails for the most part and maybe a trip or two to the dunes. I want to make sure this thing will pull her around the trials ok, she is about 50lbs.

The price is right (550 bucks) but am I asking for trouble? Thanks in advance!!!!

etondaddy
12-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Please……. Don’t do it. Yea the price is nice but if one little thing breaks your done you can’t get parts for them. Call a DRR dealer near you and get her something dependable you will not be disappointed. If you get something good DRR, Kawasaki, e-ton, Kasea, ect. And you need help anyone on this board will be more than happy to help you out. I know it’s four to five times as much but in the long run it’s well worth it.

Mike Kozura

Nichols Atvs
12-19-2007, 12:24 PM
(There is a place selling a 110cc pink camo one, I am sure it is china junk )

You answered your own Question. Atleast look for a used drr honda, kasea, eton . something you can get parts readily available for. You will spend more money in the first with these or spend it later with a bigger head ach tring to keep the other going. You can get the drr in pink if thats a color you are looking for . The price is a big distraction on the one you are looking at. read all the catagories in the forums i listed and start your research . After you have read trough several pages .feel free to give a shout out for more answers . Good luck on your search there is lots of information here. from the best people in the mini quad industry.

forgiven
12-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I had one and gave it away just to get away from it.

Here are some of the major issues you will have.

The tires won't keep a bead unless you over OVER inflate them. They will still occasionally still lose the bead. I put tubes in mine so you could run at a reasonable pressure.

They tip real easy since they are narrow.

I went through one of their rear disc brake assemblies...it literally just fell apart to where I had to get a new one.

There is essentially no filtration so the motor/jets etc will dirt all over in it. Or you could put a real filter on and good luck finding proper jets.

They don't have an alternator so you will have to recharge the batteries since they will die on a regular basis.

the shocks are stupidly stiff and are quite dangerous when venturing off the driveway.

The electrical system is a joke and you really have to go redo all your connections or they won't work when you need them to. If it won't start...jiggle all the wires.

The motor itself will probably outlast everything else but it does no good if everything else is junk.

If you go into knowing those things you will probably be OK but at the end of the day I felt that I was putting my youngest in an unsafe situation riding it. Too tippy, too tight of springs, too low to the ground, etc etc.

I looked at it as an upgrade to say a battery operated car for the yard and maybe for the first two rides it seemed like a good plan but if I had to do it again I would not.

You won't get anything out of it when you are done so it is disposable and yeah you will probably pay 2.5-3 times as much for a good air or water cooled DRR but your cost of ownership will be less and your resale will be good. So if you buy the 550 dollar one use it for a year and get 100 for it...if you are lucky versus buying a DRR for about 1800-1900 to your door you could easily get 1500 for it the following year.

So it will be cheaper to own, it will cost you less (initial purchase-resale), and it will be MUCH safer and your kids could develop MUCH more on the DRR, the parts are easier to get, and it will break less. You just have to come up with a little more money up front. You will be glad you did though.

JMTC...Just My Two Cents

renae
12-19-2007, 05:59 PM
We made the mistake and bought a Wildfire 110cc and it was the biggest piece of junke I ever bought. If you want to go with a cheeper model I would look into http://www.kidatvs.com this is Spliffy's shop. He is a really nice guy to get info and he knows his low price quads.

Jcrew2
12-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your responses. I decided not to get it, even though having that for her Christmas morning would have been awesome!!

I am going to do some research and will get her something better.

So with doing mainly trail riding and a little at the dunes will 90cc be enough? I know she will grow out of it no matter what but I want to at least have something she can ride for a few years and get the experience and confidence to step up.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Nichols Atvs
12-20-2007, 12:02 PM
90 cc two stroke will be plenty of power just make sure you get some thing better the resale in a few years will be better so you can upgrade with alittle money in pocket instead of none. you could also get something acouple of years older good luck sorry to spoil the christmas gift but you will be glad you didnt buy it.

forgiven
12-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I had a Predator 90 and now a DRR 90 and as frustrating as it is you can't get hung up on the number. They are two completely different machines performance wise.

I ride my sons DRR in the back yard and it really scoots. The predator does OK but it is not even in the same league. I would think a DRR would be all you would need until your daughter hits about 125lbs. then you may wan to look bigger.

Unless of course your daughter has that real wild gene...then there is plenty of help on the board to make it go as fast or faster than you would be comfortable with her riding it. ;)

You really don't need to do much to these. But seriously do a LOT of research. There is nothing worse than buyers remorse. There are a lot of real informative forums around this site. A lot of information to digest.

Good luck!

etondaddy
12-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Thank God………. Now get a DRR and be done with it. It’s a fine machine stock for her. And then you can give her the juice as she’s ready for it. It’s a 2-strock with many hop-up products. The jog motor is very easy to work on.

This is coming from a guy that’s raced jog motors (E-Ton) for five years and is now building a 4-stroke Honda for next year to get him ready for the 300ex class.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=326142

Mike Kozura

Jcrew2
12-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks again for your responses. I found a Suzuki lt 80 on craigs list that I am going to go look at tomorrow. Not much more money and I have read good things about them.

forgiven
12-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Cool. Just glad you didn't waste your money on the other. Hopefully all turns out well when you check it out. Tell us how it turns out.

etondaddy
12-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Jcrew2
Thanks again for your responses. I found a Suzuki lt 80 on craigs list that I am going to go look at tomorrow. Not much more money and I have read good things about them.
Cool we have a KFX they are great dependable machines. If you have any questions go to the LT / KFX forum and ask Jack Moore (LT80) and he’ll help you any way he can Jack’s a good dude. He gave us a few tricks and it made a big difference. Jack’s the best with the LT’s. Just tell him you need Moore power :D

The E-Ton on the rights for sale for three grand :)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Kyles_80003.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Kyles_80009.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Kyles_80007.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Kyles_80008.jpg

mxdad
12-22-2007, 06:42 AM
If you are doing a lot of trail riding I would recommend something with reverse. We have had a Suz 50, a DRR50, a DRX70, and a Predator 90 but none of them have been as nice on the trails as the Yamaha Grizzly 125 that we got last year. My son is small too. He was 9 and 50lbs when we got the quad. The quad is automatic so he can concentrate on riding, has reverse so I don't have to keep getting off and pulling him backwards, has a good intake system that doesn't suck a lot of water/mud, has good reliable power from a 125 4 stroke, and will grow with him for several more years. You may want to take a minute to check one out.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/531dad/IMG_0166-1.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/531dad/IMG_0163.jpg

forgiven
12-22-2007, 07:02 AM
An 06 and newer Predator 90 has reverse as well. I believe the new Outlaws have them as well. Reverse is really nice for the smaller trailer riders.

dericsdad
01-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Actually all '05 and newer polaris predator and sportsman 90's have reverse, and are very good reliable trail bikes in stock form. Before we got into racing, my youngest boy trail rode with us on his '03, and then '05 predator 90's, we would sometimes ride 120 miles plus a day, and he would still want to keep riding!! The winter of 'o6 I started modding his out to make it an even better trail bike, and that's when we decided to go racing instead. Sure is addictive, so be careful!!!!