PDA

View Full Version : My son's 1999 LT80 smokes more than others?

gel1197
12-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Ok, I'm new to the forums so give me some slack if I screw up. I have a 1999 LT80 that just had a carb rebuild done. The bike smokes more than any other LT80 I see but it did it back before the rebuild. Something was wrong with the choke and I just rebuilt the whole carb. I am thinking about dumping the oil pump and running 32:1 oil mix instead. My question is why all the smoke? I have a couple of ideas and wanted some input from the pros. Maybe the exhaust is clogged up with carbon and oil? Maybe the oil pump is putting out WAY to much oil. The plug is fine and the bike runs and idles great. I just would prefer being able to see the little guy when I'm following him. Thanks for the help.

ziemer
12-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Don't know too much about these yet, but after seeing the shaft gear on my oil pump, I wouldn't keep the injection. The gear that comes of the pump is plastic, and from what I can tell the worm gear that drives it is metal. Not a good combo. ;)

I yanked mine and made a block off plate from aluminum.

Where are you in FL? I just bought a 2000 LT80 for my little girl.

gel1197
12-19-2007, 03:49 PM
I live in Lakeland and ride at Crooms. I also have a ranch that I ride at in Polk City. The LT80 is a great little quad for the little ones. Lots of parts available and easy to work on too.

Hey LT80 do you think it may be the type of oil I run in the tank? I run the Suzukie CC2 (I think that's it) in the tank but will probally disconnect the oil pump this weekend.

LT80
12-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Welcome to the forums. :)

I think the Zuki oil is a petroleum base and thus yes, it'll smoke.
They all will but some less.
My favorite is Torco GP-7 once going to premix (32:1) It says it's a smokeless oil but you can expect some. :)
torcousa.com.