PDA

View Full Version : Help w/smoking habit

lil_watz_ex
12-19-2007, 08:46 AM
My ex has been smoking when I start her up and continues until she gets warm after about ten minutes of riding. My uncle told me not to worry about it unless it continues the entire time I ride. However, I figured this would as good of time as any to get her fixed up and break that smoking addiction. I am assuming it is the seals or something like that. If you could let me know what it might be and how much or what I have into fixing the problem it would be greatly appreciated. I take good care of my quad and want to continue. Thanks

Choppers
12-19-2007, 10:27 AM
most of the time it is valve seals. but in my case it was p[iston rings. just mkae sure you keep an eye on your oil and you should be ok. i went ahead and fixed mine though. just rebuilt the whole top end. good luck bud.

Honda#4
12-19-2007, 12:00 PM
You got some bad valve seals or piston rings but can be both, either way time for a rebuild.

lil_watz_ex
12-19-2007, 12:22 PM
what all would be involved in a rebuild? Anything I could do or do I need to take it to someone?

Choppers
12-19-2007, 12:30 PM
if you have no experience i would take it to someone who does. it isn't really hard but its not easy either.lol. just gotta take your time.

hornetgod13
12-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. I did a compression check and the piston and rings were good. In my case it's the valve seals. I'm ordering parts now and I'll replace them with in the next month.

lil_watz_ex
12-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Do you know if anyone on here has a step by step on how to replace the valve seals? I really dont want to pay someone 62 dollars and hour for labor if I can do it myself

Honda#4
12-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Get a service or repair manual that should help you through step by step.

416exfreak
12-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Get a factory Honda sevice manual. I forget how much I paid for mine, but it was worth every penny.

It sounds like your rings need to be replaced. Maybe the valve seals too. Since it only smokes when its cold, that tells me that when the metal explands enough, it stops doing it. Therefore either

A-the rings expand enough and the oil cant get by

or

B- the seals expand and oil cant get past them anymore.

brokenmike
12-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I know on 400ex's the valve seals tend to go bad.You can have excelent compression and the bike still smokes,the oil ring can be worn causing it to smoke. I have changed the valve seals WITH the head still on the bike,It was a little difficult but I did it without pulling the head.

lil_watz_ex
12-27-2007, 11:58 AM
So I looked into my repair manual and decided to take my bike to the local shop. Finally got a call yesterday and it needs completly rebuilt. THe mechanic said it was in bad shape. Apparently the guy who had it before me tried tearing into the motor and never replaced everything fully. There was water and dirt through the air filter, it needs rebored and much more. I cant even do justice trying to explain everything he told me. Looks to be around 900 in parts. Atleast I will have a brand new 400ex after all is done, beats buying a brand new bike. Make sure you know what you are buying when you purchase a quad used or you could end up in this predicament. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

Badmammajamma
12-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Haha...If you read this with the right mind-set it will make you think he's talkin about his ex-girlfriend or somethin.