View Full Version : 400ex knocking

kdoe400ex
12-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Ok i have a 02 400ex; stage 1 jet, kit k&n air filter, bored to a 416, and has some other things done to it. I did not do any of these things, i bought it with these mods done to it so yea I'm not sure what exacts are in it. But recently I've experienced some knocking or clicking in the top end of the motor, I'm not sure to call it clicking or knocking. Well I talked to a mechanic today and he said it was my timing chain but from research i think it is my valves aren't tight enough such as .004 for intake and .005 for exhaust i think but any way it goes faster as i give it more throttle. When i crank it it somkes for 10 to 15 seconds but i think that normal during the winter. I haven't lost any power in it so far but i don't want to ride while it doing this. I also checked my oil and was extremely low so i changing it tomorrow it had like 3/4" of oil on the dip stick so could someone help me out on what my problem is.

Choppers
12-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Yea i thought mine was the cam chain until i tore mine down. ended up being piston slap but sounded like it was my cam chain. i just replaced all the top end.

nick249420
12-18-2007, 08:46 PM
valves need adjusted but you are still going to here the "knock" or "click" even with brand new 400ex's
thats just what they do it wont be as loud once you have them adjusted and oil change

kdoe400ex
12-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Yea i thought mine was the cam chain until i tore mine down. ended up being piston slap but sounded like it was my cam chain. i just replaced all the top end.[B]

so did you end up finding out what the problem was? after tearing it all down and stuff?

Pipeless416
12-18-2007, 08:53 PM
just for future reference, posting pictures of riding without a helmet is a big no-no on this site.

4. Feel free to attach ATV related pictures to you posts. Pictures of riders without helmets will be deleted - riding without a helmet is very dangerous and is an activity strongly comdemned by ATVriders.

kdoe400ex
12-18-2007, 08:55 PM
yea im sry i miss read ur post thanx i re post when i adjust my valves and change my oil tomarow. thank yall

kdoe400ex
12-18-2007, 08:59 PM
this web site is very kool i will were my helmet next time i post my picture sorry this is only my second day to use this web site first to ever post a forum so thank ya'll im looking forward to advancing my skills in school after i graduate high school on motorcycle mechanics so whole fully one day i can come back on here not being such a rookie and actually do some good on here!lol thanx

Pipeless416
12-18-2007, 09:02 PM
lol, welcome to the site!

Choppers
12-18-2007, 09:06 PM
yea the piston had worn down some of the cylinder wall causing a slap a little. just had to bore and re ring it. i ended up doing the 416 kit. actually i am in the process of doing it. should be done by the weekend. tomorrow is re assemble day. if all goes well might finish it tomorrow just have to put the new cam chain in and put the bike back together.

kdoe400ex
12-18-2007, 09:20 PM
actually i called the guy that i bought it from and he told me the same exact thing that the piston had worn down the piston wall so he just bored it to a 416. he also gave me tonight a white brothers pipe for it and some DG nerf bars for 50 buck brand new b/c he go a raptor 250 instead of a honda 450r so i got a steal on that.but he is like my best freind from the 1st grade and he owes me a huge one but i hope your re assemble day goes good b/c im having one tomarrow after school to.lol i already have my plastic, gas tank, head, and couple others looking to see if its not my cam chain tensioner. so good luck tomarrow!