PDA

View Full Version : Eton Rover-mini UTV-no age restrictions

daddyrat
12-18-2007, 06:53 PM
My boys, ages 6 and 10, have had modified LEM quads and Yamaha pw dirt bikes. This year my employer announced that my medical benefits would no longer cover any two wheeled, or motorcycle accidents. Michigan state law says a child must be 12 years old and have a safety course to ride quads on the marked state trails. A local offroad park follows the state rules. My boys have had the safety course but my wife insists the boys be legal and covered medically in case of an accident.

I saw this Eton Rover on Ebay. Since it is not a quad there are no age restrictions on these. I thought I was taking a huge risk, but I bid anyway and won the auction at $1650. I had to drive to a dealer in Ohio to pick it up. Once there, I rode the thing around and it was fun. The sales guy said that it can go up to 30mph or so. The kids at the dealership all gathered around to check them out, they are a kid magnet. I ended up buying two, same price, one for each son.

I had plans for them. I didn't want to feel embarrassed dragging them around on my trailer. I ordered 2" wheel spacers to widen them out and got Douglas aluminum wheels for both. I plan to open the air box, pipe, and jet my older boys. My younger boys engine will remain stock for now. Here is a picture of one of them.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/Dec1071%20001%2045%25.jpg

My oldest boy isn't an aggressive rider. He does love to go out on trail rides and is a very safe and sensible rider. This thing is built for fun and should still be able to tackle real trails. It has a 90cc 4-stroke engine, keyed electric start, with reverse. It has a CVT automatic, disk brakes, and a horn on the steering wheel.

I got them home and blacked out my garage windows. I plan to suprise the kids Christmas morning with them. After Christmas next week, I will be able to get a better picture of both of them together outside. I think my boys are going to have a blast with these. I have a couple of Raptors and will ride one of them with the boys so that I can pull them out of any snow drifts or mud holes they get into. I can't wait...

dodgepower
12-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Way cool looking

mutau95
12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
That rover looks way cool. Did the spacers affect the turning radius? Also what are the specs on those rims?

I'm between the ds 70 from can-am and the rover for my 5 year old son who currently has a TTR 50 dirtbike. He is 54 inches and 62 pounds and would probably fit nicely in the rover.

With the roll bar on does it seem tippy when you take turns?

Thanks for the input and your boys will be king of the neighborhood Christmas morning.

daddyrat
12-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by mutau95
That rover looks way cool. Did the spacers affect the turning radius? Also what are the specs on those rims?

With the roll bar on does it seem tippy when you take turns?

Mutau95, I have only rode them one time on the dealers paved parking lot. The turning radius is extremely tight. It is much tighter than a normal quad due to the steering wheel set up. The turning is so tight that it can really part of the fun. I tried to tip them on the pavement and eventually was able to lift the inner wheels but turned right out of it. I don't think it would be a problem in the dirt. I am not sure how the 2" spacers will effect the turning, probably just more scrub. I was more worried about the tires hitting the frame, wheel wells, or bumper. I was ready to get out the sawzall and start triming but didn't have to. I will know more next week when they actually get to ride them.

The wheels are 10" 4X110, plenty of info on the spec sheet at the Eton website. I ordered them from the Chaparral catalog. You could possibly get used stock aluminum wheels off a quad cheap on Ebay. To be honest, once I put the wheel spacers on it, I didn't think the stock steel wheels looked that bad.

There is a magazine review on the Eton website. It says that they are not as stable in off camber situations as a quad due to the fact that your not straddling the machine and can't use your body weight. Fortunately, it is the straddling the seat part which makes them not a quad and legal with no age restrictions.

The dealer confided that he got a one time special price for 5 of them. I bought one on Ebay for $1650 and than, once onsite, offered to get a second one for the same price. They took it. I have seen them on the net for around $1900. The MSRP is $2700 but they weren't selling.

I took some quick pictures of them outside the other day when the kids were at school.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/Dec1507%20007%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/Dec1507%20010%2035%25.jpg

See the black construction paper on the garage windows. It has been there 4 weeks now and the kids haven't noticed yet.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/Dec1507%20011%2035%25.jpg

I took off the stock stickers on the front.

mutau95
12-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the pics. I have been torn with the this decision to get a quad due to him possibly tipping over but looks like the rover may be the best of both worlds and will allow him to follow us safely through the fields and light trails where we ride. With his 50 dirt bike I keep it in 1st gear and he tops out at 17 mph in the straights. With this he could really keep up and have fun and the seat belt and roll bar would keep him in place if it tipped over.

I like the stickers you put on it.

What would you say the the top speed is? I know it has 2 keys for speed regulation but that doesn't say much of the actual speed is. Again thanks for all your input. Im going to have to make a call on this quick as this is for Christmas.

Can you mount the rims yourself or is a tire machine required? I've never swapped rims that small.

Jaybird
12-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Thse look really sharp! Looks like they could be modded out too! You should chop the top about 6 inches or so.
Brian

daddyrat
12-21-2007, 12:44 PM

What would you say the the top speed is?

The sales guy said they go around 30mph or so. I rode them in the dealers parking lot and they will probably do it. I am more concerned about low end torque, to pull thru sand and maybe up small hills.

Can you mount the rims yourself or is a tire machine required? I've never swapped rims that small.

I took the tires to a local tire store, they charged 3 bucks off and 3 bucks on, or $6 a tire to change the wheel. Some dealers will charge 4 times that, you have to ask around. Generally, quad tires can be a b!tch to break the bead on. New tires on new rims are easier. thanks

daddyrat
12-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Jaybird
Thse look really sharp! Looks like they could be modded out too! You should chop the top about 6 inches or so.
Brian

I have plans for the motor on my older boys. I researched and found that the Eton Viper 90R quad uses the same 4-stroke engine as the Rover. It is also rated for 3 more hp. I suspect the Rover just needs to be opened up with better flow. I have already ordered and recieved larger main and pilot jets for the carbs. I plan to open up the airbox and fab in a higher flowing filter. I also have a damaged Yoshimura RS3 slip on with TEC inserts that I will modify to fit the stock header. I will just cut off the damaged end to around the size of the stock muffler. I will than work up some brackets and adapt one end to the header. I have done this kind of thing before on mini's. It will be the only Rover in existance with a Yoshimura exhaust.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/july282007%20008%2045%25.jpg

The cage does seem a little tall and you are the second person to mention it to me. I probably won't do anything about that but I would like to fab up a "quad style" grab bar in the rear. There currently isn't really anything to grab when your moving it around in tight spaces from the back. I have thought about a tube style front bumper too. Anyway, thanks for the complement.

QuadJunkies
12-22-2007, 12:09 AM
That looks pretty cool!
Who needs a power wheel when you can buy one of these!:p
lol

bennyrae
12-27-2007, 07:50 PM
so how do they perform with the kids on them, and what was their reaction?

mutau95
12-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah give us the follow-up details. I finally decided on an Eton Viper 70 for my son. Although he was somewhat timid at first since it is his first quad we rode together for about an hour before the cold brought us inside.

I think I will get some spacers to get a wider stance for the bike although it is pretty stable in stock form.

daddyrat
12-28-2007, 03:05 AM
It was a huge surprise. We told the boys to get their coats and boots on to go outside and see some reindeer tracks I saw earlier. They opened the door and went wild. I wish I could have got a picture of the moment but I didn't want to miss it. After a few minutes checking them out my youngest asked where the reindeer tracks were. He still believes.

I am taking them riding tommorow, Saturday. We live in town and the neighbors lawn was too soft to ride on Christmas morning. Here is a picture of my 10 year old a few hours after seeing them.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec2507%20009%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec2507%20005%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec2507%20006%2035%25.jpg

I will try to post something this weekend about my first impressions of them riding them.

mutau95
12-28-2007, 07:36 PM
definately let us know how things go once you get a chance to break them in. I may have to add one to our stable.
:cool:

daddyrat
12-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Took the kids riding today. These things are awesome! The kids loved them. The keyed starter, the steering wheel, and reverse, they had a lot to learn but loved every minute. The horn seemed to be a kid favorite. Here we are all loaded and ready to go. All blue...

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec2907%20004%2035%25.jpg

They were a little cold blooded and took a while to warm up in the cold. I need to richen them up.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec2907%20017%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec2907%20022%2035%25.jpg

Both boys are very excited about them and had a blast riding them.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec2907%20020%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec2907%20025%2035%25.jpg

I was worried after I won the Ebay auction on one of these things. I worried the kids would think they were stupid, I worried that I would look stupid pulling them around on my trailer. I am happy and relieved to say that these things are perfect for my kids and still look cool. My 10 year old blasted around on his getting it up to speed pretty fast. My younger son never went past half throttle. They got around fine and easily climbed a small hill due to the cvt transmission. The power is pretty mild, but as I said before, there is more power to be had from that motor. The first ride was a success!

tmfracing
12-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Good Job! Way to make it happen for your kids. All that matters at the end of the day is that everyone rides safe and has fun doing it.

mutau95
12-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the update. Those look way cool...be sure to post your pictures on the e-ton website. Eton should sell them equipped like yours. I showed my wife the pictures and she suggested to sell the viper 70 I just bought four son or Christmas and get him a rover. My son saw the pictures also and liked it as well.

daddyrat
12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by tmfracing
Good Job! Way to make it happen for your kids. All that matters at the end of the day is that everyone rides safe and has fun doing it.

Thanks tmfracing.
I know that this mini forum is heavy on racing dad's, racing kids, and built mini's. I realize that there is a great deal of pride for these dad's in building a competitive mini racer and sharing it here with their peers. How thrilling it must be for these guy's watching their little guy or girl take part in competitive racing. They have to be very proud.

Not every kid is a racer though. When I bought these things I felt resigned to get them "just for fun". I wanted to get an Extreme Typhoon 125 but my son didn't want it, can you believe it. In the end, I am happy I did, these things fit our families situation perfectly. Legal for the trails and the boys are covered medically riding them.

These Rovers are really unique looking in person. The pictures don't do them justice. There is really nothing else out there like them. I think they are going to draw a "kid" crowd at our local offroad park. The boys just loved them and have been bubbling about them all evening. Life is good!

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec2907%20013%2035%25.jpg

mutau95
12-30-2007, 10:21 AM
When I saw the rover on ebay I wasn't able to find any threads online of folks who actually had one and posted any feedback. This thread has been very informative and I was close to buying one over the Viper. Still may add one later who knows. At any rate thanks for the write up and photos as they were helpful. to me and i'm sure others considering this vehicle.

Regards

bennyrae
12-30-2007, 11:47 AM
I just gotta say, dont we all wish we had it as good when we were kids.
here is the list of rides my kids have already had

son 12:
1st quad when he was 3 lt50
kitty cat when he was 4
2nd quad when he was 5 Husky
3rd quad when he was 9 predator 90
laundry list of "up gradeS"
oh yeh he has had 3 dirt bikes.

Daughter 9
1st quad at 4 Husky
2nd quad at 4 kfx50
and now she has a typhoon 125
and now wants either a dirtbike or one of these UTV's

me 33 and on my 3rd quad wtf

daddyrat
12-30-2007, 01:25 PM
mutau95, I do wish you had bought the Rover so we could compare notes along the way.

I went out this morning and rejetted my 10 yr olds richer. I used the same jets that come stock on the Viper 90R quad. It uses the same motor and carb. The new jets are #100 main and #35 pilot. I left the needle alone. I cut a 1" hole in the airbox.

I also found that the gas pedal wasn't opening up the carb completely. I was able to adjust the slack out of the throttle cable so when the pedal was on the floor the carb was all the way opened.

I eventually started it and you could tell right away that there was a difference, it sounded stronger. Stepping on the throttle gave an instant response. It would run stong thru the midrange right to the top. I brought my boy out to test it and told him that it had more power. The yard is really small and he would have to turn constantly. He stepped on the gas with the wheels turned and the front would lift slightly and go straight. He said he thought that it may have too much power now. I told him that we just needed a bigger yard.

born2ride14
12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
ha looks awesome! ya after you buy somthing you think of the bad things but they tured out awesome

daddyrat
01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Mom, Dad, and the boys from last weekend. Couldn't go out New Years Day, too much snow. My oldest was bummed!

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec3007%20008%2035%25.jpg

bennyrae
01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
HOw much were the new rims? I might have to get one of those for my kids, looks sweet

daddyrat
01-03-2008, 04:53 AM
There is a lot of good info on the Eton webpage spec sheet.
The wheels require a 4X110 bolt pattern. That is a very common pattern and you could watch Ebay for a set of stock aluminum take off wheels from a quad for cheap. I put Douglas .125 on the rear and .190 on the front. I figured the front wheels needed to take the abuse of bashing into stuff.

I did think that the stock steel wheels didn't look that bad once I put the spacers on them.

I got a pretty good deal on these Rovers. I bought the first one on Ebay and bid 1 dollar over their low reserve price. Once there, I offered to buy a second one at the same price. They took it. I figured I could get the spacers and wheels and still be under the going price on the net of around 2K.

daddyrat
01-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Took them out again this morning. There was 4 - 8 inches of snow where we rode. I rode a quad and told the boys to follow my tracks. The Rovers seemed like completely different machines from last week after jetting. They both started easy and warmed right up. My older boys had a huge improvement in power and ended up motoring right thru the deepest snow. Spinning tires, fish tails, and throwing snow was the story for the day. I am very happy with the performance of these things now. The boys have never had more fun riding with me.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/jan0508%20008%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/jan0508%20003%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/jan0508%20006%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/jan0508%20010%2035%25.jpg

Well, I guess that is it. I probably won't do anything with the suspension. I suppose wider a-arms could be a possibility but I probably wouldn't spend the cash. I still need to bump the jets on my younger boys and building a pipe on my older boys may still be a possibility. The motors are running great now and I am very happy with them. I guess the next step is to take the boys to the Mounds, our local offroad park. Thanks for looking.

badboyracing
01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, I must say, you have got me convinced into buying one of these things!!! We will be making a purchase in the next couple of weeks. Please keep us posted on their performance and any other mods that you might make. I showed my kids your pictures and they think they're awesome. They would love to have your snow too!!!
Thanks for taking the time to post up the info and pictures.

Dalton

double d 1
01-05-2008, 02:11 PM
i,d buy one, but if you have any sand around youre area that would be the real test!!! I live only an hour away from little sahara in waynoka oklahoma. so we do alot of duning.

forgiven
01-05-2008, 04:26 PM
I am really wanting one of these for my boys. They both got DRX90's but I think would get a ton of use. Plus we head down to St. Joes state park (lots o sand) and I am willing to bet this wouldn't stay at the trailer hardly at all.

BTW...how loud would you say this is? I live in a neighborhood with most of us having 2 acre lots so we aren't real close but is this more on the quiet side?

daddyrat
01-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by forgiven
I am really wanting one of these for my boys. They both got DRX90's but I think would get a ton of use. Plus we head down to St. Joes state park (lots o sand) and I am willing to bet this wouldn't stay at the trailer hardly at all.

BTW...how loud would you say this is? I live in a neighborhood with most of us having 2 acre lots so we aren't real close but is this more on the quiet side?

They are very quiet, your neighbors won't even hear them, except of course your kids are like mine and constantly beep their horns at each other...

I would think that these would do fine in the sand. They are very torquey and power hits down low. Most of the weight is in the rear. I was happy with the way they performed today, they pulled great in the snow. I did have to jet them to get them that way though. They are easy to jet, 2 bolts pulls the seat off, the carb is right there.

We had a blast today. I have rode with the boys on their quads before in the snow. I was constantly getting off my quad to start their 2-strokes or get them unstuck. It was a very different today. My youngest got stuck twice in 3 hours. My oldest never did get stuck. They have both learned to start them and shift from neutral to forward or to reverse with no help. I had fun today.

forgiven
01-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Could you PM me the dealership you bought yours from please

daddyrat
01-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Here are a few more pic's from yesterday.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/jan0508%20012%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/jan0508%20001%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/jan0508%20011%2035%25.jpg

daddyrat
02-05-2008, 04:35 AM
It has been a while so I thought I would update. A few weeks ago I took the boys north to ride Michigans marked state land trails. The Rovers worked perfect for a trail ride. There was a dusting of snow and it was around 34 degrees. The Rovers now have plenty of power to move the boys up and down the hills. They required very little adult intervention while riding. I only had to help the boys around a few fallen trees.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/jan1208%20002%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/jan1208%20003%2035%25.jpg

My younger son has really gained confidence. He has never been scared with these things. Their 6 year old cousin went on this ride and got scared when he stuffed his quad into a berm 10 minutes into the ride. He sat in the truck the rest of the day.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/jan1208%20004%2035%25.jpg

We stayed close to the truck and mainly rode around the scambles area. We eventually rode down the trail a few miles in either direction. I look forward to taking the boys on the full 12 mile loop.

There have been a few problems. One Rover had an electrical brake switch that would stick. It would hamper the shifting in and out of gear. I called the dealer, which is over 2 hours away, and they sent me a new switch under warranty. I replaced the switch and the Rover moves into gear fine now. The second problem is that while showing off the new power to my 20 yr old I ran a Rover into a tree. I live on a small city lot and there was 6 inches of new snow. I got the Rover out and warmed it up. I than blasted down the driveway sliding around the front of the house. I than pulled this awesome u-turn powerslide in the neighbors driveway to come back. I could feel the Rover sitting me back in the seat while turning. I never let off the gas. Unfortunately, the front end unweighted and I drove straight into a tree. Well it was more of a side swipe into the front tire. I broke the steering box and wacked my head on the roll bar with no helmet on. I ordered, received, and replaced the box. The bump on my head is finally going down.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/feb308%20002%2035%25.jpg

We took them out locally last weekend. There was a few inches of new snow. Both boys stepped it up and we had a great time. My older boy now power slides out of every corner and discovered the joys of spinning doughnuts. He was leading us around on a spirited game of follow the leader. He would stop from time to time to let my younger son catch up. I was following my youngest and watched him go faster and faster following his brother. By the end of the day my older son no longer had to wait for us to catch up. We had a blast, and there were big smiles back home as they told their mother about their adventures of the day.

I love these things. It is nice not having to worry about the boys getting hurt. The boys are very independant driving them and only require a watchful eye to keep them in line. They are going to miss sliding around in the snow this spring. We can't wait to take them out again.

forgiven
02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
I love it when you post those pictures. Makes me wanna go get one.

team37
02-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I could not agree more!! those things are so cool!!

z-mann
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I think I might have to look into getting one of these for my boys...

daddyrat
02-17-2008, 04:43 AM
I took the boys out to my familys winter quad day at the lake. I have 2 brothers and my mother all have places on the lake. We have gotten about 12 inches of snow locally this past week. The woods are snowed in but the lake must have been wind blown and only had 4 - 6. It was a perfect amount for slipping and sliding but was deeper around the edges and obstructions.

The Rovers drew some interest. A guy at the gas station, a couple of groups of snowmobilers at the lake, and long stares on the E-way. It is always the same question, "what are those things?"

The Rovers worked great with no problems. The boys got stuck a few times in deeper drifts but were able to back out of many. My brothers both thought the Rovers were cool and my younger brother would like to get one for his boy. The realitively untouched snow on the lake in the morning was completely covered with tracks by the time we left. :D

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/feb1608%20009%2035%25.jpg

WOLFPACK
02-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Just so everyone is aware dealer cost on these is $2200.

Some dealers are blowing them out at a loss because low sales.

Eton redesigned it as a golf cart looking thing and is now going after that market with it.

If you can find a deal on one they are worth it and the parts will be available.

daddyrat
02-24-2008, 04:40 AM
I have spoke to Wolfpack offline. He had conversations with an Eton rep who mentioned the redesign last weekend. He did said that there is still a warehoused inventory of these and you may still be able to find them. I believe that most of the parts on these are shared with the Eton quad line and will be available for a long time. I have to say that I was disappointed with the news. I was hoping the aftermarket might get interested in these if enough consumer demand was generated. Wolfpack did say that Eton was aware of this thread and I thought that was kind of cool.

Anyway, more fun. I got the boys together yesterday and took them to the Mounds, our local offroad park. They do sound tests there and I corked my Raptor's Yoshimura exhaust with a TEC kit and hoped it would pass. The attendant there had never saw a Rover before and I had to define Michigan Law concerning quads and the fact that the boys don't straddle the seat like a quad, which exempts them. I showed the attendent the boy's safety certificate and he let the Rovers and my still too loud Raptor in.

Unfortunately, since our last 12" snow, there has only been 4 wheel drive trucks out there. Deep frozen ruts along with cross ruts took the fun out of the place. On top of that, there was a Jeep club holding an event there yesterday. There was probably 30+ Jeeps gathering at the entrance lot. It was a constant parade of Jeeps streaming in and out on the narrow frozen rutted trails. We decided to ride somewhere else and headed out.

We rode back to the trailer and it seemed that all the eyes in the parking lot were watching the boys. We stopped at the trailer and soon a crowd of Jeeper guys, wives, and kids gathered around. It was a very positive reaction from the Jeepers who had never seen anything like them. It was very cool.

We packed up and went back to my wife's Uncles place. The boys are now hauling butt around the property. My oldest was bouncing off the rev limiter at times. He is now getting too aggressive, wide open everywhere. He eventually banged into the back of his brother. A cracked front bumper on one and a broken tail light lens on the other. A lesson learned with minimal damage. I guess I always knew this would happen sometime. I figure a little JB weld on the underside should take care of it.

Anyway, another fun day. My normally shy boys enjoyed briefly becoming the center of attention at a Jeep party. I had fun watching them race around at my Uncles. Did I say shy? Below is my oldest sporting his new mohawk, I think that he is coming out of his shell.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/feb2308%20002%2035%25.jpg

My previously posted "family picture" with the Rovers got printed in this month's April issue of Dirt Wheels magazine. The boys now think that they are famous and want to use it for "show and tell" at school.

daddyrat
03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Took the boys out again over the weekend to the lake. There was around 6 inches of crusty snow on the lake. My brother plowed a track around the lake and now both boys were bouncing off their rev limiters going around it. Even though the snow was a crusted 6 inches, the Rovers powered right through it, nobody got stuck. I had alot of fun just watching the boys power slide and race around.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/mar0108%20003%2035%25.jpg

The boys took a break from the Rovers and my wife pulled them on a sled. The sled ride has been a part of their winter fun since they were todlers.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/mar0108%20009%2035%25.jpg

The weather warmed to the 50's today so it may be the end of the snow. I look forward to running the trails in the dirt with them.

daddyrat
03-10-2008, 02:22 AM
I thought that I would take a few minutes and share mods and fixes that I have come up with in the past few months concerning these things. There is nothing really ground breaking here, a couple of upgrades explained and some simple fixes on a few minor annoyances.

Jetting

I have mentioned this before. We started riding these Rovers in early January and it was pretty cold outside. They were obviously running lean from the dealer, they were hard to start and the power was enemic. The stock jetting was the main=95mm and the pilot=32mm. I noticed the Eton Viper90R quad uses larger jets with the same motor and was rated with more hp. I ordered a 100mm main Eton part# 812312 and a 35mm pilot Eton part# 812790. I raised the needle 2 notches and drilled a 1" hole in the airbox lid. The difference was phenomenal! The Rovers started easier in cold weather and ran cleaner from the bottom to the top. They had much more pulling power which meant more fun for the boys. Swapping the jets was easy. I removed the kicker panel under the seat and than reached in and pulled the two right side seat bolts to take the seat off. The carb is right there. This mod is a must do for more power and fun.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar080800135.jpg

The Nets

When I brought the Rovers home the nets were very loose and just flopped in the wind. I tried to adjust out the slack but they were already maxed out on thier harnesses adjustment. The nets came stock bolted to the back bars on the outside. If you notice in the above picture, I wrapped the nets around the back side of the bars and ran the bolts thru them on the inside. They now have plenty of adjustment in the harness and were able to be tightened right up.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar080800435.jpg

The bed and tailgate latch pins

First the pins. They came with metal loops only. I envisioned the kids playing with them and they soon would be gone. It turns out that they will naturally start to back themselves out while riding. I went to the hardware store and got some coiled rubber keychains. I took off the rings and mounted them to the bed wall and latch pins.

The bed had problems too. It was very noisy while riding. The bed rumbled against the frame and the tailgate constantly rattled. Both problems were fixed with a roll of stick on insulation foam. With the tailgate down you can see where I added it to the back. Pull the gate up and it cushioned out the rattle. I added the foam on the frame where the 4 bed bolts tie down the bed. I also added a few strips in the front on the leading lower edge of the bed. The back end is all quiet now.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/Dec2207%20003%2035%25.jpg

Extended pedals

I have posted this before. My son was six when he got this thing and I knew his legs weren't long enough to reach the pedals. I added 2.5 inches to the pedals. I used bolts with nylon locking nuts. I had some pvc in the garage that I used for the standoff but I'm sure there are better options out there. The brake pedal had existing holes that I used but I had to drill two holes in the gas pedal. So far so good with this setup. We have ridden several times and they haven't loosened up.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar080800235.jpg

Headrest

Not much creativity here. My younger son was too short for his head to hit the headrest in a whiplash situation. My wife insisted that it be lowered so I lowered it.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar080800735.jpg

Spacers and wheels

The Rovers come very narrow stock. I believe that wider is better for stability and the benefits outway any issues that come with it. The wheel bolt pattern is 4X110 front and back. I have a combination of spacers on these but would get the machined round dougnut style ones. I have found that the Yamaha Rhino's have the same bolt pattern and many Rhino spacer kits can be found on Ebay. I got 2" in the front and 2.5" in the back.

I had to trim the front bumper back. A full crank on the steering wheel and an incline on that side could caused a rub on the tire. It was due to the additional width caused by the spacers but no longer rubs since it was trimmed.

I bought Douglas wheels, the stronger .190's in the front for bumping into things and the cheaper .125's in the rear. Unfortunately, one of the rears has already gotten a slight bend in the lip. I wish I would have gotten the rears stronger. The edges are exposed and hang out quite a bit. Since this is a common bolt pattern I believe that you could get some stock aluminum quad take offs from Ebay at a cheaper price.

That is about it for now. I would like to see somebody out there get one of these so we could compare notes along the way. We took the weekend off of riding this week but I hope to go out again soon.

mutau95
03-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Excellent write up on the Rovers. I have been looking locally to pick up one of these but even within a hundred mile radius dealers are wanting close to retail of 2700.00 I'm hopeful that I will find a deal on one since they are not moving off showroom floors very fast. Unitl then my boy has enjoyed his little 70 Viper and those spacers have really helped out. Thanks. He did have a mishap recently which scared me pretty bad but he was fine. He was coming down a slight hill running about 15 mph or so and decided to make a quick left turn at the bottom without slowing down or leaning properly. He went flying right and the quad cartwheeled forward. He was scared for a moment but we talked and he got back on and rode some more. No damage to the quad and thankful he was ok.

Has either of you boys layed the rover onto it's side? I'm curious as to how strong that cage is or would it need further bracing across the front and back?

daddyrat
03-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Has either of you boys layed the rover onto it's side? I'm curious as to how strong that cage is or would it need further bracing across the front and back?

I really worry about the boys and steeper hills. My younger son, well probably both of them, would have trouble backing down a hill they didn't make. I have made a point of keeping them away from any slippery hills this winter with all the snow and ice we have gotten. I hope to find a hill this spring that I can stand halfway up it and let them practice on it.

The Rovers have been pretty stable and the boys haven't even lifted their inside tires. That may change in the dirt. I would think that if the Rovers were put on their side that it would bend those bars. They would have to be straightened or replaced. Eton calls the bars "branch guards", they aren't heavy enough for roll overs.

I glad your son is having fun with his Viper!

daddyrat
03-16-2008, 04:55 PM
We went north yesterday. There is no longer snow around here but there was still plenty of it in the woods 1.5 hours north. We unloaded and found that we could only ride the ice packed marked trails of state land. It looks pretty nice in this picture below, the worst is yet to come.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar150800145.jpg

All the whoops and holes were covered with ice but had water on top. We could ride over most of the puddles but I broke through a few of the bigger ones.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar150800445.jpg

Soon around every corner was another icy watercrossing. The boys loved it. My 7 year old, who is oblivious to the consequences of deep water, just plowed through it.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar150801045.jpg

The Rover's were amazing. The conditions would have been terrible for kids on quads. My youngest laughed that the water came over the floor board and got his boots wet. I am a believer that these Rovers are trail worthy. They are really easy for the boys ride and they followed behind me every where I went. We had another memorable time.

daddyrat
03-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I had a few more pictures from the other day in the water/ice puddles.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar150801235.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar150800835.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar150800735.jpg

After looking at these pictures I started thinking about that 1" hole I put in the airbox for better flow. Knowing how much fun my seven year old had splashing through the water, I decided to come up with something like a snorkle for that exposed hole. I pulled the box and found evidence of water getting into the box, probably from the deeper hole pictured above. The stock intake has a snorkle routed to the top of the engine compartment. The first hole I put in the box is only around 14" from the ground. I blocked off the original hole and glued in an elbow for a new hole at the top of the box. These new intakes on top are now closer to 20" from the ground. It is better to be safe with these new engines since it will be wet around here for a while. None of it will be seen since the airbox is under the seat area.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar16082535.jpg

You can see on the left where I blocked off my original hole. The new hole is on top next to the stock intake. Hopefully the elbow will stop water from dropping directly into the box from splashing around.

daddyrat
03-31-2008, 04:38 PM
Here is another tip for making life easier when working on these things. I have had to pull the front plastic off a few times with these Rovers. I have replaced the brake switch, warrenty work. I have replaced a steering box due to a crash and I have added dilectric grease to all the connectors under the hood.

Pulling off the front end is pretty staight forward. There are screws around the front wheel flares and the dash. Unfortunately, there are 2 hidden screws under the dash, one on each side. Every time, it has taken me 10 minutes using a wrench squeezing in from the side to get these screws off and another 10 minutes getting them back on again.

My solution requires a 1" hole drill bit. You can see the screw now.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar300800435.jpg

I got these black 1" body hole plugs from a local GM dealer I was at for work. They gave them to me but I'm sure the price is minimal. It took less time to put the plugs in than it does to take out 1 of the screws. No more aggravation and I will be able to shave 20 minutes off my pit stop times.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar300800635.jpg

daddyrat
04-06-2008, 04:18 AM
Spring has finally hit Michigan! Real dirt was under that snow. I took my older son and my 10 year old north today. My youngest had to stay home due to being sick and he was very upset that he missed the ride. We unloaded around 10am and it was still cold, around 40 degrees. Below, my son ready to go, the Rover is still clean.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/april050800135.jpg

We took off and the temperature started to warm up. It was blue skies at times and eventually got to around 65 degrees. My 20 year old was leading and would blast ahead at times but would always stop and wait at cross roads or obstacles. I was expecting a slop fest of mud but was surprised that most of the water had already dried up, there was even dust in spots. We still came across a few puddles in low spots.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/april050800635.jpg

We stopped for lunch on the trail and I had stowed our lunch bag and drinks in the front trunk of the Rover.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/april050800435.jpg

Notice the built in cup holder. HA!

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/april050800535.jpg

We took about 10 minutes to finish lunch on the trail. We all stuffed our coats back in the front trunk of the Rover along with the leftover lunch stuff. We rode both the north and south Gladwin loops. It took us around 3.5 hours. I followed the boys on my 660 Raptor and found myself mostly riding in second gear. It was a nice leasurly pace. Your really limited on the Rovers to a speed that you can still sit down on the seat. There is no banging thru the whoops on these things which is fine considering the age of my boys.

We had a great time! My younger son was very proud that he completed the entire loop. My older boy was a great sport for keeping his speed down and helping his brother out. There were plenty of other riders on the trails today and they always stopped and stared as we rode by. :D

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/april050800235.jpg

daddyrat
04-10-2008, 04:15 AM
The boys are off this week on their spring break. I was asked to use some vacation time to keep an eye on them. I thought, "Let's go riding." We went back to Gladwin with plans of riding the shortened northern loop. I dressed the boys for spring but probably should have considered winter clothes, it was cold, mid 40's and damp.

We unloaded and here they are ready to go.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/april100800335.jpg

We took off and riding was a little slower with my 7 year old following. The DNR has put in a few bridges over low spots and the boys thought they were cool to ride over.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/april100801135.jpg

We got halfway up the loop and I stopped to check on the boys. My youngest, said he was cold and wanted to head back. We turned around and headed for our first "tip over" crash. I was leading and didn't see the crash happen. I turned around and saw my youngest and his Rover basically on it's side. The trail was a groove thru the woods. He caught the right side wall, climbed up it and tipped over. The "roll bar" caught the edge of the opposite side wall and my son was kind of hanging from his seat belt, held in with the net. I ran back and straightened the Rover, it was still running. My son was ok, no damage to the Rover. The same accident on a quad could have been much worst, he would have hit the ground.

We got back to the trailer and had lunch. My oldest raced around the empty parking lot splashing through the mud puddles.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/april100801235.jpg

The boys both were cold but had fun. The Rovers ran great and had proved their safety features worked. We have rode almost every weekend since we got them for Christmas. I changed the oil last weekend and the old oil still looked pretty good. One had it's chain too tight, one was too loose, they are good now. I adjusted the emergency brake cable on both of them.

Sadly for the boys, it is now dirtbike season and they will have to share my time as I will also go dirt biking with my brothers and friends. Real adults, swearing, cigars, carrying on, Whoo Hoo...

mutau95
04-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Glad he was ok. My son did the same on his quad about 2 weeks ago. We were going slow through the wooded trails @ Carolina Adventure World. We were going down a slight hill and he was attemping to brake when it happened. He was ok also as the quad stayed on its side. I saw it happen and it scared me but he got back on and we continued riding. The rover's seatbelt and cage is a great safety feature making it almost impossible to have the unit roll over on the child. It would be interesing to see how the rover would look with a longer swing arm maybe 3 inches. Great photos and write up on the Rovers.

daddyrat
04-15-2008, 03:28 AM
I went to the Eton Rover website this morning. Check it out.

http://www.etonamerica.com/PD_UK1.html

They photoshoped the picture a little. The boys are going to think that this is cool...

z-mann
04-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Cool.

daddyrat
04-16-2008, 03:40 AM
I had uploaded some pictures to the Eton website "riders photos" area. They were basically the same pictures I have used on this thread. I was surprised when I went to the site and seen it. Here is the original.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/dec2907%20025%2035%25.jpg

They had photoshoped and cropped the original. My boys thought that this was pretty awesome.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/UK1_07_Intro.jpg

daddyrat
05-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I have had two weekends of dirt bike trips but today I went out with the boys. All my sons were ready to hit the trails. Here they are shortly after leaving the trailhead.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May030800545.jpg

We took the Gladwin north loop. A few years ago the DNR closed down the northern part of this loop cutting it in half. This was a huge dissapointment but at least we found evidence of trail maintenance on the shortened loop. Below is a part of the trail that was always wet and rutted. You can see how they built up the trail with a gravel bed through this area.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May030800845.jpg

Here is a picture of another bridge the DNR put in over a wet spot. I never realized how dangerous these things can be. As we came up to it I was going to stage the picture below. My 10 year old drove to the center of the bridge. I made my younger son wait until I got off and got my camera out. I was walking at the start of the side of the bridge and motioned my youngest to come out on it. I don't know what he did but before I knew it he was driving off the side of the bridge at me. I shouted STOP!, and caught him with half the Rover off the side.

I pushed him back on the bridge and took this picture. Another lesson learned, he traveled the last bridge very slow and right down the center.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May030801645.jpg

We stopped and had lunch. The boys fooled around in the sand.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May030801245.jpg

A few things happened on the way back. My youngest tipped over again, this time I saw it happen from right behind him. We were going up a slight hill and he ran his left front tire into the wall on the cut out side of the trail. The Rover turned deeper into the wall, climbed it, and tipped over. My son was not hurt but I could tell that it shook him up. We traveled about half speed the rest of the way out. He was fine when we got back to the trailhead. He has gotten very good about spotting and avoiding stumps and roots but needs to focus more on these trails with cut sides. Running real trails can be tough and it just takes time learning what to expect. These last few trips have definately been more than a lawn adventure.

My 10 years olds quit going into reverse today. Once home I checked it out and did some quick parts swapping and found the cdi to be the cause. Technically, I have a few more weeks of warrenty but they may want me to take the Rover to the dealer for them to check out. I will check on the price of the part and may just order it due to a 4 hour round trip in gas will probably cost more than the part. Having two Rovers can definately cut down the troubleshooting time with quick parts swaps. Anyway, another good day.

daddyrat
05-26-2008, 05:31 PM
I have spent the last 3 weekends dirt biking with my brothers but my boys have gotten pissed so I took them out today. We went to a local offroad park called the Mounds. Almost everybody at the park took time to check out the Rovers. "Those things are pretty cool, what are they?" was the usual comment. I always explain that my boys are legal riding them, and in fact, my guys were the only kids riding in the park other than a few kids in Jeeps. I have to admit that my boys and I have been enjoying the attention that the Rovers attract.

Here the Boys and Rovers are clean leaving the lot for a very dusty and dirty day.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May260800735.jpg

The multifunction CDI that went bad on our last ride gave no reverse on one Rover. I replaced it and my son has reverse again. Both Rovers were running 100%.

Our first stop was a mud puddle. I let them blast around it a few times for some pics.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May260801035.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May260801535.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May260801335.jpg

We later rode around the park a few times and took a break at the the truck mud hole. Three huge mud trucks were out there running. The biggest orange truck got stuck right off the bat. It doesn't look very big behind the boys stuck in the hole.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May260802035.jpg

This guy was pulling the orange truck out.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May260802135.jpg

That hole was DEEP! This truck got stuck a second time trying to run it again. His buddy said that he has 54"s on it. These guys dig bottomless pits. You never know how deep a mud puddle is at this place.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/May260802335.jpg

I had decided that today would be a confidence building day for my younger boy. He had tipped over the last 2 time out. Today he did fine and said he had alot of fun. My older boy is ready to leave little brother behind next time and blast around with dad. I have to admit that my older boy does a great job on the trails and runs a pretty good pace.

Sadly for the Rovers we will probably put them up for the hot weather and spend our weekends at the lake. Unless of course, we get perfect riding conditons, a drenching rain on Friday for dust, and a cooler Saturday. Anything is possibly.

daddyrat
06-19-2008, 06:40 PM
I started this project on a raining Sunday with nothing to do. The project was to pipe my older boys Rover for MORE POWER! I finished it today with a day off of work. You may recall that damaged Yoshimura RS-3 exhaust silencer that I posted earlier. It was from a Honda CR450 dirt bike that I side swipped while pulling my boat trailer. I bought the guy a new silencer but kept his damaged one in my garage. I cut off the damaged part of the can and grafted some pieces from a stock Raptor pipe onto it. The can is now just slightly shorter than the stock muffler. I would have prefered to make it about an inch longer but the damaged end dictated the length. I cut off the smog plumbing from the Rover and made it a straight pipe.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/june190800635.jpg

It was initially hard to start and I suspected the pilot jet was too small for ignition. I dug around in the garage and found a pilot jet from some other carb with the same threads and the passage or hole looked larger. I know it wasn't very scientific but I was desparate. I went with that and than played with the needle position and the mixture screw. I got it pretty close but I still would like to order a larger pilot jet from Eton.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/june190800235.jpg

The initial impression was definately positive and the improvement was noticeable. It revs quicker, and has a sizable hit down low at launch that almost lifts the wheels. It sounds great with deep throaty rumble. I used a medium sized TEC insert for the silencer to cut some of the db's but not to restrict it too much. You can see the insert in the picture below.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/june190800135.jpg

I am going to have to dig through some of the Eton parts catalogs for a larger pilot jet and maybe a bigger main. I will look at the carbs of their larger machines. I had planned to take my older boy riding tommorrow so going with the "mystery pilot jet" was my only option other than backing out to the stock muffler. It is trickier to initially start due to the pilot jet but it starts right up after it is warm. We will go riding and I will update with a dirt evaluation.

I believe that this may be the only Eton Rover in the world sporting a Yoshimura exhaust system. Mission accomplished.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/june190800535.jpg

ww228king
06-20-2008, 11:01 AM
thats the type of stuff i like to see..... JUST MAKE IT WORK!!! that has always been the thing i do... that looks great!!!!

you will prolly be getting a call from ETON and Yoshimura.....they will prolly pay for the design...lol

cool man... aint nuthing wron with some good ole backyard engineering... :D

daddyrat
06-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by ww228king
thats the type of stuff i like to see..... JUST MAKE IT WORK!!! that has always been the thing i do... that looks great!!!!

you will prolly be getting a call from ETON and Yoshimura.....they will prolly pay for the design...lol

cool man... aint nuthing wron with some good ole backyard engineering... :D

I have to admit that I had no idea of how the pipe would effect the power band. A hit down low, screamer at the top, or nothing but more noise, I didn't have a clue. It turns out to build power quickly down low, perfect for a trail machine. I guess I got lucky, I told my son I planned it that way.

I went north with my oldest boy today. I was anxious to try out the new pipe in the dirt. Below is my son shortly after we left the trail head.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/june200800135.jpg

We kept a pretty good pace without my younger son on the trip.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/june200800335.jpg

The pipe worked great! In the real world, a slip on pipe only gives marginal HP increases. The stock muffler on the Rover must have been very restrictive because the Yosh really wakes it up. I was doing dougnuts in the gravel parking lot spinning the rear tires the entire time with my 200 lbs burdening the little 90cc engine.

I know that I can make it really perform with new jetting. I ordered a larger pilot jet and 2 main jets the next two sizes bigger. The jets are used for the Eton Viper 150R quad. I wonder if that 150 top end would fit on the cases of the 90, Hmmmm... I suspected that there might be substantial HP gains when the previous jetting didn't work with the new pipe.

I originally put the pipe together so I could back out to the stock one some day. I have decided that there is no turning back. I will have an additional brace added to the pipe and have it welded solid. I am guessing that the rumble is below 96 db's so there is no reason not to keep it. The power is a kick.

It was another memorable day on the trail. Pictured below is my satisfied customer. :)

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/june200800835.jpg

daddyrat
08-17-2008, 05:26 PM
We have been very busy this summer but we finally got a chance to take the Rovers out. We just rode locally to keep down costs. My youngest son has grown like a weed these last 6 months and I had to take the pedal extenders off and adjust his seat.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Aug170800235.jpg

We had limited area to run due to the beans in the field still growing.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Aug170800735.jpg

My oldest son had left his key on for two weeks while showing his cousin the Rover which killed the battery. I had bought a larger sized battery and had to modify the box to make it fit.

Both Rovers ran great today and the boys are both looking forward to my dirt bike season to end so the Rovers will get my full attention again.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Aug170800635.jpg

daddyrat
10-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I took the boys north today. It was a perfectly beautiful fall day with sunny skies and 65 degrees. Due to the hunting seasons we rode the open scrambles area on the south end of the Gladwin trails. We thought that we would stay out of the hunters way since they were carrying guns and bows with them.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101032440.jpg

I put roll bar padding on the front bars but later discovered they got tore up as the boys plowed through hanging tree branches along the trails.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101032340.jpg

There were several bermed bowls around. The rutted up sand was initially pretty rough riding for the Rovers. I had the boys follow me and we sort of made a small track between bowls for a smoother ride. We than raced around, and around, and around...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101034040.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101035240.jpg

Both Rovers ran great all day. Here I caught the piped Rover throwing a little roost.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101035440.jpg

The boys were bragging about who could ride this berm higher.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101034540.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101034840.jpg

They both ended up riding the berms too high. Today was a blast and one of our best rides ever!

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101033640.jpg

mutau95
10-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Lately when my son and I go out he complains about his thumb getting tired after a half dozen miles or so on the quad. I showed him the pictures of your boys and he said he wish he had one like that. There are still a few rovers around but the local dealers are stuck on a near MSRP price. I check ebay from time to time but they are few and far between on there. Santa may have to start looking earlier this year. Great pics.

daddyrat
10-06-2008, 03:50 AM
mutau95, good to hear from you. I agree with you that the Rover is getting harder to find. I have heard that they still can be found though. A guy in another forum that lives in Indiana got a new one for around $1800 and the dealer was glad to get rid of it. Keep looking and be prepared to buy.

My boys used to complain about their quad thumb throttles too. I put a twist throttles on both of them and they never complained about sore thumbs again. My boys had 2 stroke Lems and there was throttle kits out there, the Eton 70 4 stroke may take some research.

A few more pics from yesterday.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101033540.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101033440.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101032940.jpg

daddyrat
11-23-2008, 06:24 PM
I told the boys we would ride this weekend. With deer hunting under way, I decided we would ride locally again at my uncles. My oldest boy woke up this morning sick and couldn't go. My younger son still insisted on riding and I was already loaded up so we left.

I decided that I would try to use my old beat up camera to try to post my first online video. I had my younger son practicing some doughnuts for the big shot. He stopped and I told him to lean way over and really punch it. I was hoping for some roost. Here is my first try at a online video, all 4 seconds of it.

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/?action=view&current=P1010003.flv

daddyrat
11-24-2008, 03:03 AM
For those wondering, he was alright and yes he did go over. I wish I would have stood there and filmed the rest of it. The video shows the inside lifting when I lowered the camera to run towards him. What happened next was he actually turned the wheel back and bicycled it monster truck style. He cycled it right at me and finally lost it right before hitting me.

The belt held him in and I literally bent over and tipped him back up. The Rover was still running. He was ready for a break. I look forward to running in the snow again, and I promise to post a video worthy next time.

mutau95
11-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Glad to hear he was ok. That rover looks to have pretty good take off speed. Was he driving the modded one or have both been modded now that they have ridden for a while?

daddyrat
11-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Glad to hear he was ok. That rover looks to have pretty good take off speed. Was he driving the modded one or have both been modded now that they have ridden for a while?

mutau95,

I guess they have both been modded with the rejetting and open airbox but it is not the piped one. I rode both Rover's yesterday prior to taking them out and the piped Rover noticably hits harder at take off.

I am still watching Ebay and different forums for a Damaged Yosh RS3. I haven't seen one for the right price yet. My younger son will be ready for one soon although he does scare me at times with what he already has.

Next time out I will try to get some good video of my older son on the modded Rover.

oldyeller
11-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Wow what an awesome writeup!...I just sat down and read the whole thing from start to finish..My boy has a viper 90 and we run alot of trails that look just like yours..Please keep the pics and stories coming..

daddyrat
11-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I took the boys out today. I was determined to get them on video. I am still using my old digital camera and the video quality is crap so bear with me.

First, a few pic's...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101000835.jpg

The boys broke through a ice puddle and started making a mud hole.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101001335.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101001935.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/P101002035.jpg

Here is my short videos, sorry no sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jt4eHv2R3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mrB8hR4KXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UipELyxXbZw

Next weekend rifle deer season is over. Riding Raptors with the brothers. Whoo hoo!

daddyrat
11-30-2008, 06:16 AM
I had a few more video's of the mud hole. Apparently, my camera only records for 16 seconds at a time. It is an older camera that has been beat up in my gear bag and dropped in mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5cXXs9BPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdChepYriLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqd41QUEHaE

daddyrat
01-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I took the boys out today with a new video camera thingy I got from Santa. Blue skies and 32 degrees.

This video has sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAusIz1Td4

A second one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFCLPYE99o

03pete
01-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Looking good! I love this thread.

daddyrat
02-08-2009, 05:08 PM
The weather has been bitter cold for over a month. There has been too much snow to ride the Rovers for weeks but this weekend we had a 47 degree thaw. I took they boys riding and they found a mud puddle.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Video706m13s.jpg

YouTube - Rovers in the water (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkLnmvWTS4)

daddyrat
04-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Yesterday, I took the boys and their Rovers to Gladwin MI state land and rode the marked trails. We rode some of the trails, the southern sand area, and spent some time at a mud puddle.

I took some video holding the camera while riding and have been playing with the speed. I sped the video up 4 times and it is pretty funny. I rode mainly 1st and 2nd gear but the video looks like we are flying wide open. Watch for the mud puddle at the end.

YouTube - Rovers at Gladwin MI sped up 4 times (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vWKVO8UE8)

We had alot of fun, but not as much fun as the video suggests...

snobmxman101
05-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by daddyrat
I thought that I would take a few minutes and share mods and fixes that I have come up with in the past few months concerning these things. There is nothing really ground breaking here, a couple of upgrades explained and some simple fixes on a few minor annoyances.

Jetting

I have mentioned this before. We started riding these Rovers in early January and it was pretty cold outside. They were obviously running lean from the dealer, they were hard to start and the power was enemic. The stock jetting was the main=95mm and the pilot=32mm. I noticed the Eton Viper90R quad uses larger jets with the same motor and was rated with more hp. I ordered a 100mm main Eton part# 812312 and a 35mm pilot Eton part# 812790. I raised the needle 2 notches and drilled a 1" hole in the airbox lid. The difference was phenomenal! The Rovers started easier in cold weather and ran cleaner from the bottom to the top. They had much more pulling power which meant more fun for the boys. Swapping the jets was easy. I removed the kicker panel under the seat and than reached in and pulled the two right side seat bolts to take the seat off. The carb is right there. This mod is a must do for more power and fun.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar080800135.jpg

The Nets

When I brought the Rovers home the nets were very loose and just flopped in the wind. I tried to adjust out the slack but they were already maxed out on thier harnesses adjustment. The nets came stock bolted to the back bars on the outside. If you notice in the above picture, I wrapped the nets around the back side of the bars and ran the bolts thru them on the inside. They now have plenty of adjustment in the harness and were able to be tightened right up.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar080800435.jpg

The bed and tailgate latch pins

First the pins. They came with metal loops only. I envisioned the kids playing with them and they soon would be gone. It turns out that they will naturally start to back themselves out while riding. I went to the hardware store and got some coiled rubber keychains. I took off the rings and mounted them to the bed wall and latch pins.

The bed had problems too. It was very noisy while riding. The bed rumbled against the frame and the tailgate constantly rattled. Both problems were fixed with a roll of stick on insulation foam. With the tailgate down you can see where I added it to the back. Pull the gate up and it cushioned out the rattle. I added the foam on the frame where the 4 bed bolts tie down the bed. I also added a few strips in the front on the leading lower edge of the bed. The back end is all quiet now.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/Dec2207%20003%2035%25.jpg

Extended pedals

I have posted this before. My son was six when he got this thing and I knew his legs weren't long enough to reach the pedals. I added 2.5 inches to the pedals. I used bolts with nylon locking nuts. I had some pvc in the garage that I used for the standoff but I'm sure there are better options out there. The brake pedal had existing holes that I used but I had to drill two holes in the gas pedal. So far so good with this setup. We have ridden several times and they haven't loosened up.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar080800235.jpg

Headrest

Not much creativity here. My younger son was too short for his head to hit the headrest in a whiplash situation. My wife insisted that it be lowered so I lowered it.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/mar080800735.jpg

Spacers and wheels

The Rovers come very narrow stock. I believe that wider is better for stability and the benefits outway any issues that come with it. The wheel bolt pattern is 4X110 front and back. I have a combination of spacers on these but would get the machined round dougnut style ones. I have found that the Yamaha Rhino's have the same bolt pattern and many Rhino spacer kits can be found on Ebay. I got 2" in the front and 2.5" in the back.

I had to trim the front bumper back. A full crank on the steering wheel and an incline on that side could caused a rub on the tire. It was due to the additional width caused by the spacers but no longer rubs since it was trimmed.

I bought Douglas wheels, the stronger .190's in the front for bumping into things and the cheaper .125's in the rear. Unfortunately, one of the rears has already gotten a slight bend in the lip. I wish I would have gotten the rears stronger. The edges are exposed and hang out quite a bit. Since this is a common bolt pattern I believe that you could get some stock aluminum quad take offs from Ebay at a cheaper price.

That is about it for now. I would like to see somebody out there get one of these so we could compare notes along the way. We took the weekend off of riding this week but I hope to go out again soon.

how fast do you think it goes now that with all of the changes?
both of them please
im definatly buying 1
and jetting it and and doing all the things you did and what size is the carb 22mm?
if it is im going to upgrad it to a 28 mm carb! (seriouse power! do that to yours)

snobmxman101
05-22-2009, 07:08 AM
mutau95, I do wish you had bought the Rover so we could compare notes along the way.

I went out this morning and rejetted my 10 yr olds richer. I used the same jets that come stock on the Viper 90R quad. It uses the same motor and carb. The new jets are #100 main and #35 pilot. I left the needle alone. I cut a 1" hole in the airbox.

I also found that the gas pedal wasn't opening up the carb completely. I was able to adjust the slack out of the throttle cable so when the pedal was on the floor the carb was all the way opened.

I eventually started it and you could tell right away that there was a difference, it sounded stronger. Stepping on the throttle gave an instant response. It would run stong thru the midrange right to the top. I brought my boy out to test it and told him that it had more power. The yard is really small and he would have to turn constantly. He stepped on the gas with the wheels turned and the front would lift slightly and go straight. He said he thought that it may have too much power now. I told him that we just needed a bigger yard.

was that the one with the yama shura exhoust?

daddyrat
05-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by snobmxman101
was that the one with the yama shura exhoust?

Yes, once I piped my older boy's Rover I had to step up the main again. I suppose a larger carb is another way you could go. The Rover website says the stock carb is a 22mm. Eton has larger carbs on larger quads. I liked to keep the stock carb cause it does have a small accelerator, sp?, pump on it and I didn't want to lose the kick down low. Rejetting both of them initially gave them huge increase in power and changed them from a lawn vehicle to a trail vehicle. I had jet richer again for the piped Rover.

I have thought that more speed could potentionally get them hurt quicker. My youngest was just 6 when he started riding them. We have ridden on a frozen lake and they could have easily handled a little more speed. My older boy was bouncing off the limiter all that day until I explained to him to ride under the limit. My worry was more for the trails up north where catching a stump or root could pull them off the trail.

I think the top speed is probably somewhere around 25mph. I really have no idea but they are limited electronically with a speed limiter. I am not sure if it is signaled somehow by speed, or just by rpm's. I have not looked into disabling it. I suppose you could gear it for more speed if you wanted to with the sprockets, but remember that the suspension is somewhat limited. I was always more concerned with the low end grunt, going slower but having the ability to spin the tires while doing it.

I now have a second Yoshimra pipe from my Raptor and am considering piping the second Rover. I just need a little bit of time with nothing to do. Thanks for looking.

snobmxman101
05-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Yes, once I piped my older boy's Rover I had to step up the main again. I suppose a larger carb is another way you could go. The Rover website says the stock carb is a 22mm. Eton has larger carbs on larger quads. I liked to keep the stock carb cause it does have a small accelerator, sp?, pump on it and I didn't want to lose the kick down low. Rejetting both of them initially gave them huge increase in power and changed them from a lawn vehicle to a trail vehicle. I had jet richer again for the piped Rover.

I have thought that more speed could potentionally get them hurt quicker. My youngest was just 6 when he started riding them. We have ridden on a frozen lake and they could have easily handled a little more speed. My older boy was bouncing off the limiter all that day until I explained to him to ride under the limit. My worry was more for the trails up north where catching a stump or root could pull them off the trail.

I think the top speed is probably somewhere around 25mph. I really have no idea but they are limited electronically with a speed limiter. I am not sure if it is signaled somehow by speed, or just by rpm's. I have not looked into disabling it. I suppose you could gear it for more speed if you wanted to with the sprockets, but remember that the suspension is somewhat limited. I was always more concerned with the low end grunt, going slower but having the ability to spin the tires while doing it.

I now have a second Yoshimra pipe from my Raptor and am considering piping the second Rover. I just need a little bit of time with nothing to do. Thanks for looking.
im concerend with high speed.
and the speed gouage you can buy a after marketone for a car and rewire it.

snobmxman101
05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
hey daddy rat guess what?
i was looking in my magazine and i found a exhoust pipe made by super trapp.
super trapp is a muddboggging association sorta thing and is you put the mudslinger exhoust on your rover it WILL have seriouse torque and horse power!!
if i get a rover im puting that on myne

daddyrat
08-04-2009, 03:20 AM
I took the my family to Higgins Lake MI for a week vacation. We took the Rovers and for the first 2 days the boys raced close quarters around the yard of the cabin. We live in town and have to trailer everywhere so the boys thought it was cool to walk outside and ride around the cabin with everybody watching.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/July290900435.jpg

The high speed back yard straight...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/July290901035.jpg

Over the porch...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/July290900835.jpg

Under the clothes line...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/July290900335.jpg

Taking a break and letting the dust settle...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/July290901135.jpg

We than went for a ride on the West Higgins Lake OVR trail one morning. We just unloaded below.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/July290901335.jpg

Here is a video of running down a section of the trail. My youngest caught the side of the trail but this time let off the gas and didn't tip over. The incident is about 3/4 down the video which is 2 minutes long. We had a great vacation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AViTqILUX9g

snobmxman101
08-08-2009, 06:26 AM
hey next year ill be buying a new atv and i was wondering if i could buy the one with the yomasura exhoust? becouse i think that there cool and keep posting stuff about that mods and the riding with them please good job

daddyrat
08-09-2009, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by snobmxman101
hey next year ill be buying a new atv and i was wondering if i could buy the one with the yomasura exhoust? becouse i think that there cool and keep posting stuff about that mods and the riding with them please good job

Snobmxman101, thanks for the interest. At this point I don't have any plans to sell them. Like you, my family and a few friends have also showed interest in buying them. I will probably keep them until my oldest out grows it and is ready to ride one of my 660 Raptors. A guy on the Rhino forum said that they are still available at a dealer in Ohio brand new for $1550 otd.

I have learned to never say never though. If I lose my job tommorrow, I will be sending you a PM the next day.

Another pic from the cabin of the porch tabletop jump. lol...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/July290900135.jpg

snobmxman101
08-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Snobmxman101, thanks for the interest. At this point I don't have any plans to sell them. Like you, my family and a few friends have also showed interest in buying them. I will probably keep them until my oldest out grows it and is ready to ride one of my 660 Raptors. A guy on the Rhino forum said that they are still available at a dealer in Ohio brand new for $1550 otd.

I have learned to never say never though. If I lose my job tommorrow, I will be sending you a PM the next day.

Another pic from the cabin of the porch tabletop jump. lol...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/July290900135.jpg

well i live in alberta canada and thank you for letting me im a possibility for buying one of them and you should put the supertrapp exhoust i told you about for one of them thanks

daddyrat
09-25-2009, 05:47 AM
I had this week off work and decided to start a project. Two days in the garage later, I now have 2 piped Eton Rovers for the boys. Here is a picture of the finished project.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Roverpipe02845.jpg

I also got an idea from another forum to pull the airboxes and install UNI clamp on filters. I did this and had to rejet again above what I did for the pipes alone.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Roverpipe02245.jpg

Last winter I bought a set of dual LTE's for my 660. I than used my old Yosh RS-3 can for this project. It is the same "can" that I used on the first Rover. I pieced together a pipe using sections of the stock pipe and took it to Dave's Muffler here in town for welding. Here is a picture of the pipe mocked up before it was tacked in place.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Roverpipe01245.jpg

Below is the finished pipe.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Roverpipe01745.jpg

The Rovers sound great! The extra power is evident. They run clean from the bottom to the top. There is really nothing more I can do to make them breath better. I can't wait to take the boys out.

The finished piped Rovers again...

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Roverpipe02845.jpg

daddyrat
10-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I took the boys out locally today. Unfortunately, you really couldn't hear the Rovers on the video that well over the Raptor I was riding. They were just getting warmed up when the battery in my camera died.

Here is the video I got, I will be better prepared next time.

YouTube - Rovers (1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJlWGK0bpLU)

daddyrat
10-26-2009, 04:23 AM
I took the boys riding yesterday. We drove to Gladwin and rode most of the southern loop. We also spent some time at the scrambles area.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Oct250900245.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Oct250900445.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Oct250900545.jpg

Taking a break for lunch.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/1daddyrat/Oct250900745.jpg

Both of the Rovers ran great. They are very capable of riding real offroad trails now and are not just a yard or the camp site toy anymore. They now have plenty of power to lug through the sand or motor up the smaller hills. Just as a reminder, both my boys are still under 12 years old. Unlike on quads, they are completely legal riding these Rovers on the Michigan trail systems. No DNR worries for us, they have their safety course certificates.

My oldest boy wasn't feeling that great but my youngest son rode a little more aggressively at times and it was fun to watch. They both said they had a great time riding. Below is a video of riding to and than the scrambles area.

YouTube - Both Rovers piped and jetted at Gladwin, Oct 25th 09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teOslgUxWzQ)

Deer hunting season is approaching which will keep us out of the woods for a while. The next ride may be in the snow...

MPDano
12-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Mutau95, I have only rode them one time on the dealers paved parking lot. The turning radius is extremely tight. It is much tighter than a normal quad due to the steering wheel set up. The turning is so tight that it can really part of the fun. I tried to tip them on the pavement and eventually was able to lift the inner wheels but turned right out of it. I don't think it would be a problem in the dirt. I am not sure how the 2" spacers will effect the turning, probably just more scrub. I was more worried about the tires hitting the frame, wheel wells, or bumper. I was ready to get out the sawzall and start triming but didn't have to. I will know more next week when they actually get to ride them.

The wheels are 10" 4X110, plenty of info on the spec sheet at the Eton website. I ordered them from the Chaparral catalog. You could possibly get used stock aluminum wheels off a quad cheap on Ebay. To be honest, once I put the wheel spacers on it, I didn't think the stock steel wheels looked that bad.

There is a magazine review on the Eton website. It says that they are not as stable in off camber situations as a quad due to the fact that your not straddling the machine and can't use your body weight. Fortunately, it is the straddling the seat part which makes them not a quad and legal with no age restrictions.

The dealer confided that he got a one time special price for 5 of them. I bought one on Ebay for $1650 and than, once onsite, offered to get a second one for the same price. They took it. I have seen them on the net for around $1900. The MSRP is $2700 but they weren't selling.

I took some quick pictures of them outside the other day when the kids were at school.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/Dec1507%20007%2035%25.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/Dec1507%20010%2035%25.jpg

See the black construction paper on the garage windows. It has been there 4 weeks now and the kids haven't noticed yet.

http://webpages.charter.net/tcthompson60/Dec1507%20011%2035%25.jpg

I took off the stock stickers on the front.

Did you put 2" spacers on all 4 wheels or just the rears? These things look *****en. How much do you weigh and how fast do you think you went with you driving it? Trying to gauge speed when my sons WOT at 110 pounds.