PDA

View Full Version : Solidworks help

Bradracer18
12-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Hey guys. I'm just learning Solidworks on my own right now, and I have learned Mechanical Desktop/Auto CAD before. I know this may sound stupid, but I'm having a hard time doing much of anything with this program.

What I need help with is this:

Probably very basic, but I need to draw a rectangle and then extrude it. I did this just fine. I also needed to fillet the corners, which I also figured out. BUT, my problem came when I needed to put another rectangle(with fillet corners) inside of this box, to make it hollow. Basically I have one box about 12 inches by 12 inches, and another smaller box about 11.5 inches by 11.5 inches. How do I do this?

Robin Hood
12-18-2007, 07:04 PM
If it's anything like autocad, create the second box as a second piece, fillet the corners, then place it inside the other box where it needs to be, and subtract it. If there's not a subtract option then I wouldn't know. Good luck man.

Waddell
12-18-2007, 08:18 PM
You will have to do another sketch on the surface that you want to make hollow. then do a extruded cut through the object
It's really simple once you figure it out:p

Pipeless416
12-18-2007, 09:12 PM
you could also choose a plane, then draw the size of the inside box you want, then in the extrusion command, you should be able to set the depth and direction that it will extrude from. its hard to say without it being right in front of me, but if all else fails, cut off 1/4 inch off one side of what you have, then extrude what you need on the inside, then remake what you cut off. :) this is a case of being much easier done than said.

brendn35
12-18-2007, 10:27 PM
like they said pick the easiest plane to work off of and draw what you want and extrude. if you've learned autocad you can draw the object on that and convert it to solids. the programs work together if they are the same year.

Bradracer18
12-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I don't have autocad here at home, just at school.

I can figure out how to draw the two extruded rectangles/boxes, but when I put the second one in the first one(prior to extruding/cutting the second one), its right on the edge of the first one. This is where my problem is at, I need it centered(or like an inch away from the outside edges of the other box). I tried to dimension both of them(like the distance between each, but it won't let me. I think its because they are both starting from the "vertex" or the "origin". Does this make any sense? I'm not great at describing stuff....

I appreciate your guy's help though!

Pipeless416
12-19-2007, 08:58 AM
heres a different approach: try creating a plane using one of the existing surfaces, but with a plane you can set your distance from that surface in either direction. then, once you have that, you can draw your inside rectangle to extrude and it will be offset an inch or whatever you want from that outside surface.

brendn35
12-19-2007, 09:10 AM
what year are you using? i have a drafting final today if we have the same year i can draw what you described and tell you how i did it

Bradracer18
12-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I'll try that plane idea, when I get a chance tonight.

I'm using I guess the newest version, I think 2007. Its a downloadable student version, so we can work at home too. It only lasts for a semester or so though.

That would be great, if you could draw it and then tell me how....I'd really appreciate that, if you had time. Even, if you do it sometime this weekend. I'm not in a hurry!

Thanks guys!!

Brad

infantry317
12-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Here's a CAD tip for any 3D Modeler. ALWAYS start your first sketch with the parts centered on all of the three planes that you can, saves adding a lot of planes, cleans up mating, will make life a lot simpler.

I quit 13 years of drafting and design (last 6 on SolidWorks) last year to open my PC shop. Some days I really miss it.

Good luck!

Bradracer18
12-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Good advice, I usually try to do that too! I have learned CAD, and now heading to learn solidworks, and hopefully in a year or so, I'll be onto ProE.