PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Pads

stumpleg
12-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Ok, first I have the Rekluse left hand rear brake system, but this shouldn't be any different than the way the foot brake works when using the brakes. What I am having problems with is my outside rear brake pad wears down faster than the inside. I have used nothing but stock pads and the rotor doesn't seem warped at all. Anybody have any ideas? The bike is 2 years old, is it time to go ahead and put a new stock rotor on? I tried an aftermarket in the past and it was to thick to run with aftermarket pads. Told myself I would stick to stock from now on.

zdowell
12-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Its been awhile since i have done my brakes, so i might be wrong but... Dont these brakes work the same as like a car? What im saying is isnt there a pin you grease so the caliper can slide back and forth? I would say yours is sticking causeing it to wear down fast. Something to check anyways

d3ktrix
12-18-2007, 03:37 PM
My outer pad also wore faster, I think its kinda common.
But my pads wore out faster because I tweaked my rotor a tad and rode it for the day w/o noticing. So that might of cause some abnormal wear.

Bikes 2 years old, original rear pads.

bloodmoney23
12-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by zdowell
Its been awhile since i have done my brakes, so i might be wrong but... Dont these brakes work the same as like a car? What im saying is isnt there a pin you grease so the caliper can slide back and forth? I would say yours is sticking causeing it to wear down fast. Something to check anyways

They are almost identical to a car. Instead of having 2 pins that need greased there is only one. When you pull the caliper off there is that one pin with a boot on it. Make sure you clean out where the pin goes and clean the pin and then throw some brake grease on the pin. You can pick it up at any autopart store for like 0.99. If it still wears abnormally then replace the rotor. Even if the rotor is tweaked about a 1/16th inch it will help add to abormal wear. it's nothing uncommon mine has done it but i had a warped rotor so I would just put the pad the pad with more left back on with a new one.

Sjorge450R
12-18-2007, 06:02 PM
mine also wears faster than the inside. I would jsut rotate the pads around. But im still on the stock rear pads, second set of fronts. Im big on front brakes...lol

12-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
mine also wears faster than the inside. I would jsut rotate the pads around. But im still on the stock rear pads, second set of fronts. Im big on front brakes...lol

An 05 and only 1 set of pads.

I've been through 3 sets of rotors and God only knows how many sets of pads.

Sjorge450R
12-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
An 05 and only 1 set of pads.

I've been through 3 sets of rotors and God only knows how many sets of pads.

I learned how to ride fast without my rear brakes and im still not to keen on using them. I usually just lock the fronts up and turn, thats what i do. I would prob be alot faster if i can master the rear brake slide

12-19-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm talking about front and rear. Here in Florida, one muddy race and before the end of the 2 hours I can burn through a set of brand new Honda pads. The sand kills them.

d3ktrix
12-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
I'm talking about front and rear. Here in Florida, one muddy race and before the end of the 2 hours I can burn through a set of brand new Honda pads. The sand kills them.

You burn though a set of pads in 2 hours?
Do you hold the throttle and the brakes at the same time? lol

I have 500+ hours on my bike in the 2 years I've owned it and has original pads all the way around. Fronts still have great life and and the 1 rear pad is kind low cuz the rotor was bent for a day.
Maybe cuz I don't coast with the brakes, they are either locked up or not in use :P

bloodmoney23
12-19-2007, 04:35 PM
i used to go through a set every couple weeks when i rode in hawaii. sand kills the pads FAST.

d3ktrix
12-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Guess I'm lucky, I rode in sand every weekend.

bloodmoney23
12-19-2007, 06:09 PM
to be honest that is pretty lucky.

12-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
You burn though a set of pads in 2 hours?
Do you hold the throttle and the brakes at the same time? lol

I have 500+ hours on my bike in the 2 years I've owned it and has original pads all the way around. Fronts still have great life and and the 1 rear pad is kind low cuz the rotor was bent for a day.
Maybe cuz I don't coast with the brakes, they are either locked up or not in use :P

Do you race? I guess you won't understand until you race a mud race in South Florida. Ask Taylor Kiser he will tell you he was there. The second FTR Quad Scramble this year we got 4" of rain in 2 hours. What a mess.