PDA

View Full Version : mongoose 50 airfilter

yfz27
12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Has anyone replaced the airbox/air filter with a direct clamp on filter such as the UNI pod filter? I have one laying around and thought it would make it alot easier to clean the filter. Also where can you get bigger main jets?

airmobile101
12-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by yfz27
Has anyone replaced the airbox/air filter with a direct clamp on filter such as the UNI pod filter? I have one laying around and thought it would make it alot easier to clean the filter. Also where can you get bigger main jets?

Yea, I did on my son's 07 Kawi 50(KYMCO). i used a uni stage 2 pod for a CRF50( PART# UP4112). Main jets from a CRF50 also.

yfz27
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
jets from a crf50 didn't work. My carb is a keihin PB style carb (19mm?). Anyone know where to get jets for it? My local dealer is a Trailer sales place and isn't any help. Though they did have the clutch boss without the lip in stock but wanted $50 for it. Anywhere I could get one for less? Thanks.

airmobile101
01-15-2008, 01:33 AM
Is it a 2- stroke or a 4-stroke? What year? The Kawi is running a pb16 Keihin, those jets should work.

ww228king
01-15-2008, 06:26 AM
sudco.com has all the jets.....just look yours up....

ww228king
01-15-2008, 06:33 AM
http://www.sudco.com/vol33/137.pdf

all the PB jets should be the same....

Iam running a 100 main in my son's

grined my son's boss down, then take out some roller weights

airmobile101
01-15-2008, 08:05 AM
I haven't seen any oem Kymco mongoose parts diagrams online where you can order the parts. With that said, go to Kawasaki website where you can look at their diagrams and order it online. If I remember correctly, it was under 20.00 for the variator boss.Do the parts search under 2007 KFX50.
I did remove the stock Keihin carb (PTE16) because it has auto choke, but I replaced it with a PB16. My jets swapped just fine!!

ww228king
01-15-2008, 08:55 AM
this is for the older 2 stroke model.....i know some parts will not be the same but some stuff will fit...http://www.epfguzzi.com/kymcobiz/service/mongoose50.pdf
or you can just do what i did to find parts for my son's 2 stroke...
look up the kymco scooters and find what matched....
that is how i found the 70cc cylinder, piston, and head kit by Polini...i looked under the european version of the mongoose...KZR, MAXXER, or MIXER....they are the same as the mongoose ...

the scooter that was the same as the mongoose 50 was the Kymco Sniper 50 and and it was a few others....they may have changed the scooter motor to 4 stroke also and that motor may be the same as the new atv 4 stroke.....if you can read some og the language on some of the european web sites...they have been modding these things out for years over there....prolly because they are street legal over there and 20mph just dont cut it for the HWY use..lol.,..good luck and happy racing!!!

yfz27
01-15-2008, 09:16 AM
OK I looked up the Kawi 50 parts diagram and it looks like the same carb so I'm going to my local kawi dealer to see about jets. If not I will just order from Sudco. I took out the boss last night and will probably just grind it down. I have a 04 two stroke model and have been wondering what scooter was similar to the mongoose so thanks for that info.

ww228king
01-15-2008, 09:29 AM
hold up.......2004 is not the same as the new kawasaki.....only the 2007 and up is made the same.....you will need to look at the mods that my sons has....

ww228king
01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
i have an extra 100 main jet, if you need it let me know....i can sent it to you for nothing....prolly put it into an envelope and mail it with just a stamp...lol...

we thought you had a newer model...
from 2003 to 2006 was the same 2 stroke model....

what all have you done to it? what all do you wanna do with it? i can help with somethings

yfz27
01-15-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm going to take the stock main jet to the kawi dealer to see if they are the same. The stock main is an 80 and i'm not sure if I need to go all the way to a 100 yet. So far I've clipped the green wire, checked for limiters in exhaust and carb but found none and baffle is out. I'm replacing the airbox with a UNI pod filter which is why I need a larger jet. I am going to try the wheel spacer trick you did and need to get nerf bars. My son is 7 and wants to race really bad. I'm not looking to do anything to the motor or pipe just yet. We also go to the dunes and he need more power there. I want to play with the clutching but know very little about it.

ww228king
01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
if you go with an aftermarket air filter, you will need a 100 jet...they put a small jet in them from the factory...that is what i had too was an 80 then just as soon as i took the snorkel off and pulled the plug out of the airbox, it started to have a boggg...so i had to go way up with a jet and now it runs perfect, even when i add the 70cc kit....when you grind down the boss, you will need to take two weights out of the variator, accross fom each other...or maybe more to see what is right for your kids weight....then order more weights that equal to the amount of grams that is perfect for him...then i done the Hetrick trick on the clutched...drilled the pads...you should be able to find that info on his site...then change the small clutch springs to the red ones..2000.... and i changed the big spring to the yellow in the winter and the red in the summer....the reason that i do this is because of the springs heats up and starts to lose pressure, but if you keep the red 2000 spring in the winter it will be too tight and you will lose some topend...the yellow is the 1500....it takes time to play with it to get it jsut right....your kidd must be the one that is testing it...must be set for his weight....kymco didnt start to make the atv for kawasaki until the past year, and it was a 4 stroke....so i dont think the jet will be the same, because it is a different carb....i have a few tricks that i have done to my son's before i added the 70cc kit....funny thing about the 70cc kit is no body knew about it...i called all the top ATV guys and they all said that it was nuthing to help the kymco mongoose 50....even the Hentrick team...then i started to research....they dont list Kymco Mo0ngoose 50 on the aftermarket part list anywhere, but they do have Mixer, Maxxer, and KXR and then the scooter sniper....the kits are bolt on...no boring at all....you get the high compression head, cylinder, piston, rings, carbon fiber reeds, jet, gaskets, and wrist pin with clips....all for $220 from scooters international....just bolt right on....i still use the stock airbox...i have just turned the cap backwards to keep the dust from getting in so bad, and pull the rubber bushing out of it...don't pull the bushing out untill you get a biggert jet...it will bog bad...rims are bolt pattern 4/110 front and back...shocks are 9in front and back...i used a stock DRR/DRX exhaust system, didn't fit , but i fabed it up to work, and the spacers that you have seen, hummmm trying to think of what else.....

the front a-arms ar the same as a polaris scrambler 50...
i will prolly think of some more stuff later...and i am still working on it today...just ordered more stuff...

ww228king
01-15-2008, 11:33 AM
hummm just thinking again,,,,the nerf bars that i have are not for the mongoose, but i will make them work....they are for kasea and they are weld ons...i didnt like the look of the nerfs that they made for the mongoose, too small dingy looking...i am looking at a set of +3 +2 a-arms to fit the 10 3/4 shocks and it will widen it out 3 more inches and move the tires forwards 2 inches to clear the oversize nerfs...i now run the 19" holeshots up front so they will hit the nerfs when he turns so i needed the 2" forward...i am looking a kasea +2 swingarm that i hope will fit, not sure about it yet, but i will know when it comes in...lol.. if it dont then i will just make it fit.... lol...welder and saws may come into play....but i feel the frame width is the same as the kasea so i should be ok...

i will be posting more pics as his quad comes along for the upcomming season....
the more that i find out about it, the more i will post....it crazy how people jsut couldn't find info on these greatr quads and just gave up and sold them to buy another quad....

i hate to say, but next year will prolly be his last year on this quad then he will be getting a 90 ....DRR/DRX....(about the only 2 stroke left) Get ready for me MR. Gary at G- Force..lol
so for you guys that will be looking for a good quad about that time just keep this in mind....

ww228king
01-15-2008, 11:50 AM
keep an eye on these....they will fit your quad and you can still use your stock shocks....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150203893453&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

yfz27
01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
just got back and your right the jets don't match. I'll pm you with my address if you want to send the 100 and I'll try it. Was looking at the Hetrick nerf bars they have them listed for the mongoose. Where do you get your extra weights and springs from? I don't want to go overboard on this quad because i'm in the same boat with my son probably needing to go bigger in a year or so.

ww228king
01-15-2008, 06:52 PM
yeah Hetrick...you gotta watch what you get from him,...some stuff that he says he has will not work on Kymco....the nerfs are weld on too...so you will have to grind the existing pegs off and prolly get a plus 1 forward a-arms so the front tires wont hit when he turns....the small clutch springs i got from anywhere....but the big torq spring and weights, you will need to order from one of the sites that i listed in another post....you can use the Kasea, Polaris, Eton, DRR and ect, but thier spring is just a tad bit smaller diameter and is a tight fit, i had to remove the slider just to make it fit...then i ordered the right ones...

first you need to get all your springs and drill the clutch pads, and get the boss grinded down then start to remove the weights to see what grams are needed for your kid...example: if you only have 4 of the stock weights left in and it is running great, then you add them weights up...stock was 9 grams each roller for us....so you will add 4 weights at 9 grams =36 grams...(well muliply not add) so you take that 36 then divide it by the amount of weights that you need which is 6 and you get 6 grams each....

my son is 45lbs and he uses 6 roller weights at 5 grams each...but it may be differnt for you....
i will tell you a great guy to deal with even though he does not have anthing to do with Kymco is Gary at G-Forcepowersports.com

he is a DRR dealer...his name on this forum is Bulldogfollen ..well close to that...he is in the DRR area all the time..he can get the small springs and maybe the weights too...

one thing that you would really need to replace is the clutch bell....that was a main problem for us for about two weeks...i used the stock one from the local Kymco dealer...need to replace that after each season...and the belt also...always like a new belt and clutch bell at the start of a season...

airmobile101
01-16-2008, 05:23 AM
You'll be able to use most of the scooter stuff. I ended up using a Koso variator from a Honda Dio. The weights and springs can be picked up off ebay at a fraction of the cost. Like King said, I run the drilled clutch shoes with the red clutch springs and red torque spring. Trust me, with this thing being a 4-stoke, it was a night and day difference. Anyways, good stuff 228KING!! Later!!

yfz27
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
found a Swingarm for a 50 on Ebay. I couldn't get the link transfered correctly but the item number is 110215485996.

Listing states:

"Mini Atv Extended swingarm. Fly Racing +4 swing arm Grey in color. Fits Kymco Mongoose ATV . It was on a Mongoose 50. . It will probable fit other mini atv such as DRR. Buyer needs to find out if KYMCO is similiar to your ATV.I will ship item or you can pick up local"

Thought someone might be interested in it.

ww228king
01-16-2008, 09:41 PM
yeah, i seen that too....+4 is kinda long, but it may be ok....need to ask what length shock to run with it....and how long of a chain...it looked cool...he needs to post more pics....

ww228king
01-16-2008, 09:55 PM
hummm...I don't think he knows what he has got....Fly Racing? I may be wrong, but I think that is just a swing arm sticker....they dont make anything like that.....Fly Racing is more like racing gear and dirt bike stands...

but who cares, as long as it fits....

yfz27
01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
So I have the clutch apart and now understand more of what you were talking about. Can I test it with just some of the weights in. There are six slots for the roller weights, does there have to be a roller in all the slots? My son is 47 lbs. so might try your set up as a starting point.

yfz27
01-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Are the rollers the 15x12 or the 16x13? Will the clutch kits on hetricks site work with the kymco? They come with rollers, shoe springs and a rear torque spring. Most of the sites listed in the other post are foreign. Do you order your stuff from overseas?

ww228king
01-18-2008, 01:31 PM
16X13.....and no the stuff on Hetrick will not fit....Kymco has a different motor and tranny than the others....i made a mistake and ordered a variator with rollers....it did not fit...miami moto for some parts...they can get the parts that are on the forign sites...Gary at g-force got my rollers and clutch springs...the big torq spring did work too, but i had to make it work if you know what i mean....

ww228king
01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by yfz27
So I have the clutch apart and now understand more of what you were talking about. Can I test it with just some of the weights in. There are six slots for the roller weights, does there have to be a roller in all the slots? My son is 47 lbs. so might try your set up as a starting point.

you can just test by taking some out....then buy some to go back in...they stock should be 9 grams each....

yfz27
01-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Which type of motor does the 50 have? Minarelli, Jog, GY6????

ww228king
01-19-2008, 10:30 AM
none of the above.....

yfz27
01-20-2008, 10:16 AM
ww228king, got the jet yesterday thanks so much.

ww228king
01-20-2008, 10:23 AM
cool...is it working good for ya

yfz27
01-20-2008, 04:26 PM
ground down the boss, put in the 100 jet and installed the Uni pod filter. It definately takes off quicker and my son is lovin it. Ordered some springs, and rollers today so I'll play with that when they get here.

ww228king
01-20-2008, 04:47 PM
cool...post some pics

yfz27
01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
here is a pic hopefully it works.

yfz27
01-21-2008, 06:17 PM
another one

yfz27
01-21-2008, 06:20 PM
last one

ww228king
01-21-2008, 06:31 PM
aw man!!! that great.....looks like he is having a blast....i will have to show my son the pics when he comes home this weekend...

ww228king
01-21-2008, 06:57 PM
now you can mix half 110 with half 93....they really adds a kick too...i use the red Dominator oil....

yfz27
01-24-2008, 06:08 PM
video (http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=26757362)

ww228king
01-24-2008, 06:15 PM
thats great man.....how many weights did you take out?

yfz27
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
haven't messed with it yet. I'm waiting till I get the springs and rollers so I can take a day and play with it.

ww228king
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
how did you know what weight rollers to get? where did you get them from? when you put the small red clutch springs in and drop some lighter weights in....it will really have some take off...lol.. it will allow the engine to rev almost right to the power band just before it takes off....might need some rear tires before too long....lol.. you will get hooked....every time i see Josh smile and say..this thing is getting fast daddy...i just want to tinker somemore....other things that i need right from the get go was strip some weight...lights and the rear scrub bar had to go....then widen it out because with the extra speed he will need better stability....can you beleive that no body bidded on that swingarm that was on ebay....that was a good price for $125....

ww228king
01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
oh yeah....i have been looking for a different aftermarket exhaust for my son's and desert toyz is the only place that had any left... they said that they only had 3 left in stock and will not be making anymore...so it looks like i will be getting one in the next week or so...the exhaust that he has now is a DRR exhaust with some modification to make it work...lol but man it mad a differance...the exhaust that they put on them things are like 4 stroke exhaust...just a straight pipe then the silencer at the end...when i added the DRR pipe, it started to act like a powerband kicking in..lol i need to post some videos of his now witht he 70cc kit....i am waiting to get the other parts installed first...now that the 4 strokes have started to come out, they are starting to put there minds and energy into makeing more aftermarket part for the new models....so parts will now start to be realy hard to find...i have noticed that the 70cc kit that I have is allready out of stock in some places and don't know if they will get anymore...

yfz27
01-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I ordered everything off EBAY. the weights weren't very much so I got some 7g and some 5g ones. I know I should have taken the weights out first so I got the right ones the first time but the weather hasn't been great the last few days and I'm kinda impatient. Figure these should get me started. I bought the weights and red clutch springs from the same guy in CA. The 1500rpm torque spring I got from scooter assassins in the UK. Anyway I also have a predator 90 and noticed guys were using 400ex hubs on them to widen them up a bit. The predator hubs fit perfectly on the kymco so I bought a cheap used pair off ebay to try on the 50. I know a pipe would wake this thing up alot but we have neighbors and I want the kids to still be able to ride the backyard "track". Bring on the videos