PDA

View Full Version : retarded cam

BobbyJones
12-17-2007, 09:04 PM
any tips on how i should retard my cam? i am thinking about doing it, i rode a buddies who had his kicked back and i liked it. do i need a bigger jet or anything like that and what about a high rev box? is that neccisary or a must

TheNewn
12-18-2007, 03:31 AM
The search button is a magnificent tool.

You shouldn't need anything additional, although it would help. Just retard it 1 tooth and go get spanked by a Honda.

speedy
12-18-2007, 05:43 AM
Yamaha beats honda all around :blah:

TheNewn
12-18-2007, 05:44 AM
Hah, it was a joke. I really think all 450's are pretty equal. Strengths and weaknesses in all. If i ever get one, i'll be the best bang for the buck i find at the time. Whatever fits my needs the closest.

ohsobad_chevy
12-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
......I really think all 450's are pretty equal. Strengths and weaknesses in all. If i ever get one, i'll be the best bang for the buck i find at the time. Whatever fits my needs the closest.

Well said!! ;)

yfzrider45
12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
This kid knows what he's sayin!!! i would have gone any 450 out there! but i ended up with a yfz cuz i bought myne cheap!!

BobbyJones
12-19-2007, 07:13 PM
the newn,
its not about the bike its about the balls riding the bike. go hard or get the **** out of here

TheNewn
12-19-2007, 08:45 PM
go hard to get the **** out? Similar to my way of thinking, only mine is have fun or get the **** out.

Whats the point if you're not?

250r4life
12-20-2007, 10:07 AM
i couldnt disagree more...

i dont have much experience with the newer 450s (KTM, DS...), but i feel hands down the YFZ is superior to the LTR and 450R...

i was a honda guy(250r), and woulda stayed with honda had the YFZ not been so much better... the engine is a lot stronger, revs quicker, and the suspension is considerably better on the YFZ

ohsobad_chevy
12-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
I feel hands down the YFZ is superior to the LTR and 450R...

i was a honda guy(250r), and woulda stayed with honda had the YFZ not been so much better... the engine is a lot stronger, revs quicker, and the suspension is considerably better on the YFZ

This is somewhat true, but you should really buy a quad based on fit and feel, rather than what is the "fastest."
By making sure the quad feels good to the rider, they will be faster on that specific quad. If the rider is not comfortable on their machine, it doesn't matter if the suspension/motor is better, they are not going to be as fast as if they were on a machine that fit.

Engine wise, the 450's are so close, it really doesn't matter. Suspension does make a rider faster, but all stock suspension is horrible, IMHO.

My 2 pennies worth. :)

TheNewn
12-20-2007, 11:35 PM
How bad could the 450R be? didnt Joe Byrd and John Natalie win their respective championships on 450R's?

I have seat time on both, but not a lot. They seemed pretty equal to me, but i was on a big *** beach, not a track or anything.

To each his own.

ohsobad_chevy
12-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
How bad could the 450R be? didnt Joe Byrd and John Natalie win their respective championships on 450R's?

I have seat time on both, but not a lot. They seemed pretty equal to me, but i was on a big *** beach, not a track or anything.

To each his own.

Yes, those respectable riders did win big on that machine.......but one thing you have to remember is that their bikes were not even close to stock, they were built just for them......completely changing the geometry of the quad, so it doesn't matter what make of quad they ride, they are going to heavily modify it to fit them.

What I was talking about was stock quads, if you are not going to completely re-build the machine to make it fit. ;)

250r4life
12-21-2007, 11:44 PM
i still dont know as how i agree...

i was on an '89 250r before, and the 450r actually felt more comfortable to me... however, like i said, the YFZ is so much faster as had better suspension that i had to go with the YFZ... it didnt take long to feel comfortable on it...

LEOGM5150
12-26-2007, 03:29 PM
"retarted cam" i believe the correct term is mentally challenged cam;)
i got to race a cuple of yfz's with just a pipe and filter and some stock ones and they were all very comparable to my predator at the time. then i raced 2 yfz's with pipes, filters, extended swingarms and cam timing changed and those machines spanked me in a drag race so bad it wasn't even close. i was very impressed with those machine's, but on the same note there was a an ltr 450 with pipe, filter, and cherry bomb, 450 trx with pipe and filter, and a 525 irs bone stock and all within 2 or 3 lengths every single race on a long drag hill all day. they are all comparable. it just comes down to what you get a deal on, what you like and most importantly which one fits your riding style.