PDA

View Full Version : Polaris youth quad question

11-02-2001, 03:01 PM
I'm thinking about getting my kids a polaris scrambler 90.Has anyone gotten one of these yet and what do you think?It's kind of hard to get an honest and non-biased answer out of a salesman.I'm concerned about dependability,maintenance,and ease of operation.I need a quad with electric start and auto tranny is the reason I'm looking at the polaris.Thanks for the input.

11-02-2001, 03:58 PM
I would not get the scrambler your kid will outgrow it rather quick. If you are looking for a youth get the sportman. Reasons why is its tire size and ground clearance. the sportman has 19 size tire all the way around and the scrambler has 17 and 18. no ground clearance.

I just bought my eight year old a artic cat 90. Looks like the scrambler, but has 19 almost 20 inch tires cost is 1995.00 The artic cat 90 is new this year and they are hard to find. Has lots more upgrades then the Polaris.
Go to www.articcat.com and check it out.

I searched for a while before I purchased one, because I wanted something that will take my kid up to 14 to 15 .
steve

JabberJaw
11-02-2001, 09:30 PM
I think kids should have to buy thier parents quads!

11-04-2001, 07:59 PM
No problems with the arctic cat?I didn't even think to look at their quad lineup.I may have to stop in at my dealer to see if they even have one in stock ,thanks.Anybody else have any suggestions or preferances towards youth quads?

"BLAHH"300!!
11-05-2001, 03:23 AM
the raptor jr.

4punksdad
11-05-2001, 05:58 PM
I prefer the suzuki lt-80. they are bulletproof little machines. we have 2 of them.

here is why I don't like the polaris.........it has the SAME engine as the aeon 90 and the other new imports. the carb & airbox is located just behind the left front tire. not a great place for keeping the fuel:water ratio to a minimum.

take a hard look at the little suzuki..........it even has a foot brake.

bakerboyz
11-05-2001, 08:27 PM
We got a Sundiro Ridge Runner 90 ( www.eoexpress.com)

The engine and frame are the same on most of the 2-stroke mini's including the polaris, eton, t-rex, and others.

The major difference being the plastic and accessories. Some have different rear brakes and shocks. I've learned this by buying parts for the Sundiro at a local E-ton & T-Rex dealer.

First of all, The engine has plenty of power. and so far has run just fine. I have the throttle screw set to limit some of the power and in our trails, no additional power is needed.

My boys, 8 & 11, learned to ride on our 250ex (in second gear/ my automatic). They became use to the predictable handling and suspension of the Honda. When first riding the Mini, the "handling" was much more of a chore. The single A-arm and limited travel shocks are no match for a real quad.

When I visited a local Suzuki/Polaris Dealer to check out the scrambler 90, The saleswoman steered me to a Bayou 220 for a slightly higher cost. With Tax, delivery & dealer prep, The polaris can get expensive and a discounted Kawasaki made sense.

At $1,499 new, delivered, no tax, the Sundiro fit our price. I'm glad I didn't pay $2,200 for it. The Bayou, out the door for under $2800 would have been a better deal.

The quality is no match for a honda either. Owning a 250ex, I'm not use to maintaining a chain or an exposed disk brake. The handle bars were loose and I needed to grind down the brackets to tighten them. An easy kiss on a tree caused replacement of the A-arm and air filter box. and it's a 2-stroke so it smokes and smells when following it.

My 11 year old can follow me almost anywhere with that mini. and when we switch, It can haul my 200lb+ body with no problem.

Overall we like having a second quad. We get to our track with out walking, long father son rides are enjoying and next year my elder son will be old enough to take a safety class (isn't that a joke).

Good luck with your choice

PS, A good comparison of 50cc quads can be found at http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/50/chasis.html

Warrioreater400ex
11-10-2001, 01:39 AM
my neighbor is thinkin of gettin his son a mini- i would love to recommend the trx 90 to him, but with a recoil starter im not gonna. but his son is pretty small, im thinkin E-ton 50. but yeah i would reccomend the yamaha 80 to you... it has everything you should need, the boy will go woowwwwwwww it looks bad!!!!!!!!

11-18-2001, 09:27 PM
Hey guys one month old 90 articcat 90 not changing gears winding but does not auto shift.. Back to the dealer in the morning. Stick with name brand thought I would never have this problem.
Any suggestions as to what the problem might be please feel free to reply

4punksdad
11-19-2001, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by stevenjeff
Hey guys one month old 90 articcat 90 not changing gears winding but does not auto shift.. Back to the dealer in the morning. Stick with name brand thought I would never have this problem.
Any suggestions as to what the problem might be please feel free to reply

so is this artic cat 90 supposed to shift like the auto tranny in a rubicon, or in a car?

the other automatic minis on the market just rev like a snowmobile........gradually gaining speed without actually shifting.
is your transmission slipping?

please educate me

11-19-2001, 05:48 AM
It revs very high. it revs like its in a low gear trying to change in high. I followed behind it and it only got up to 12 mph. All the other quads like the suz 80 and 50 were blowing by. Some people said it was not shifting. Someone said something about a tort convertering not making it shift to lower gear. It just winding out very high. Afraid it my burn out.

thanks

4punksdad
11-19-2001, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by stevenjeff
It revs very high. it revs like its in a low gear trying to change in high. I followed behind it and it only got up to 12 mph. All the other quads like the suz 80 and 50 were blowing by. Some people said it was not shifting. Someone said something about a tort convertering not making it shift to lower gear. It just winding out very high. Afraid it my burn out.

thanks

I think you have been misled. I am almost certain that this mini-quad does not have a high tech tranny with a torque converter. you are most likely experiencing drive train slippage. It is most likely a drive belt that has gotten oil or water on it, or a clutch pack that is wet. your dealer will be a good place to start. I think this artic cat machine is the same as the polaris, aeon, and many other imported mini quads

11-19-2001, 08:43 PM
This is what it was. On the new Arctic Cat 90 they have two restrictors on them. With the restrictors in top speed is 15 mph. One was in the Carb. and the second was on the cluch pully. The one on the clutch prevented it from swithing into the lower gear. With that out my top speed is 33mph. This Arctic Cat is a real winner speed, looks once you get rid of those restictors. The dealer charged me 20 bucks to remove the restrictor from the clutch pulley.

They said it is sold as a toy and that is why they have the two restrictors. Boy I would have been ****edited word**** face if I was stuck with a machine only going 15 mph.

thanks for all the help even though nobody thought about the restrictors/goven.

4punksdad
11-20-2001, 04:07 PM
glad you found your problem. your original description made it sound as if it "developed" this problem after you owned it for 2 weeks. seems as if the bike was delivered this way.

by the way........is there a sticker on your bike anywhere that says "manufactured by aeon motors of taiwan"

I have not seen one of these artic cat machines in person, but the pictures resemble the polaris, which is made by aeon. the aeon version however comes with headlights & can be purchased for 1800.00 new

just curious

11-21-2001, 07:03 AM
Yeah that is a good price I paid 1995.00 for this one. Does not come with a headlight. Has the wire and plug in for one, but I have not been able to locate one. The plugin is a 3 wire plug in , same as the tail light and brake light. If you know where I can puchase a headlamp or direct me in the right direction that would be great. 3punksdad if you know the site for AEON that might be a start.

Thanks.

4punksdad
11-22-2001, 06:26 PM
this is my local dealer.........he sells aeon quads. try him..........& ask for "denny"

www.stonewallcycle.com

300exOH
04-22-2003, 04:01 AM
I recently bought a Scrambler 90 for my kids and it works really well. Be prepared to adjust the chain and brakes. We've had ours for about a month now. It hauls me around at 185lbs. just fine. It's also very stable. I added a switch too so I can turn off the rev limiter when older kids(or adults) ride it. So far we really like it. Good luck!

400grl
04-23-2003, 03:02 AM
I have a Scrambler 90 for my daughter as well - the engine is great- it's peppy and cushy to ride, and it has a back up kickstart that works well. It's got the safety features I was looking for (ie full floorboards, tether, restrictor) as well as a safety whip included! It's always started right up and I haven't had any problems on it other than the typical loose bolt here or there. Her rear brakes just went out, but I haven't looked at them yet - I'm sure they just need to be bled.

I also have a little 2002 Suzuki 50 for my son....it has been a decent quad, too. Lots of restrictors with that one, but once they are all off it's a pretty good quad! We have a carb problem with it right now, though - think it needs to be cleaned out really well - other than that - my son has a ball on it!

Basically, with a mini, if you stick to name brands you should do OK - even some of the off brand little quads are good quads. You should do some research and find some mini quad shootouts or first ride articles in magazines....those can be very helpful. There are so many different brands of mini's out there, that it's hard to tell what you are going to get!

I think the Polaris was a good buy - as well as the Suzuki. My daughter is not going to outgrow that 90 for quite a few years.....

Just my .02!

DESDAK4
04-23-2003, 03:34 AM
My 3 girls ride a T-REX 90 and that thing has been very good to us. With the electric start and auto tranny it has been very easy for my girls to learn to ride. I think it moves pretty good when I pull the limiting screw out too. I think I paid jsut under 1800 bucks for it a year ago and we have had no problems with it at all and I even ride it a bit because it is so fun to race my buddies on their minis.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

CBW
04-23-2003, 03:44 AM
We have a 2001 LTA 50, no problems , a 2001 TRX90 no problems, and just recently got the 03 suzukawi KFX 80. Obviously the 80 is the only one with elec start........but i just never liked the the polaris line for some reason.......

anyhow good luck,,,,,,,,,,;) :cool:

GOMER007
04-23-2003, 07:05 AM
get a predator 90!!! look just like the 500 there is nothing wrong with the polaris here they just don't like polaris b/c the predator will out runn the honda's (90 and 400) :eek2:

Ben
04-23-2003, 10:05 AM
LOL this thread was 1 1/2 years old before 300exOH revived it :p

bsb64
04-23-2003, 12:11 PM
We ahve an LT80, love it.

Anyone considering a Yamaha raptor 80 needs to take a long hard look at the front suspension and ask why the heck they would sell a quad like that.

4punksdad
04-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by CBW
We have a 2001 LTA 50, no problems , a 2001 TRX90 no problems, and just recently got the 03 suzukawi KFX 80. Obviously the 80 is the only one with elec start........but i just never liked the the polaris line for some reason.......

anyhow good luck,,,,,,,,,,;) :cool:

chris............does your trx90 shift hard? we have the cheetah 90 which is a trx90 spin off, and it shifts harder than a mini should shift in my opinion. I have heard the trx90's are the same way.

its hard to beat the reliability of the LT-80

CBW
04-23-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
chris............does your trx90 shift hard? we have the cheetah 90 which is a trx90 spin off, and it shifts harder than a mini should shift in my opinion. I have heard the trx90's are the same way.

its hard to beat the reliability of the LT-80

Cant say as i have noticed it shifting hard at all at any time since we have owned it and we bought it new.........:confused:

Each gear is just click, click, click,..........etc. Smooth as any i have ever owned.......

sorry i wasnt much help........

:o

4punksdad
04-23-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by CBW
Cant say as i have noticed it shifting hard at all at any time since we have owned it and we bought it new.........:confused:

Each gear is just click, click, click,..........etc. Smooth as any i have ever owned.......

sorry i wasnt much help........

:o

no............ours really requires a good hard stab of the toe to change gears...........shifting down is a breeze............but shifting up is difficult. I have switched types and weights of oils, and it makes no difference.

Rip_Tear
04-23-2003, 02:50 PM
4punks I have ridden a few Honda 90's and they shift real smooth not hard at all :D

Is the predator 90 a 2 stroke? (if so I would hope it would out run the others...)

Ya, who would want a lil Raptor, for what they are and how much they want for it, it is definatly not worth it!

I wonder how many people post as guests then get real user names??

SpeedBump
04-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Well, I got a 2001 Scrambler 50. It runs good, but the Scrambler 90 wouldn't be a good choice, not would the 50. If I were going to buy a new one now, it would probably be a NEW Predator 90. Notice I said NEW. The Pred 90 is actually an updated Scrambler 90. It shares the same engine, but with a newly designed head. It has more ***** now. It also got an udated clutch, so it engages faster with less lag. The suspension got a real nice overhaul as well. It now boasts 4" of travel at all 4 wheels. Although it still uses single a-arms up front, they have been widened by 3/4" and moved forward a full inch. They also gave the Predator 90 19" tires up front, and some aggressive 18" rears. As for the brakes, still the same crap from the previous machines. From what I have heard, the overall handling has been greatly improved. Anyway, that is enough of my rambling. I am starting to update my son's Scrambler 50 with some of the new itmes they used on the Predator 90. The 50, 90 and Predator 90 use the same frame, so most of the parts will just bolt up. (the Pred 90 upper shock mounts have 2 holes in each side to adjust ride height, neat idea)

QuadJunkies
04-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Ben
LOL this thread was 1 1/2 years old before 300exOH revived it :p holy cow:huh this is an oldie.:p Well I dont own any of these machines, but have heard the LT and of course the honda are great machines.. I have been really pleased with our minis the Eton viper and the Kasea 90 .

300exOH
04-24-2003, 01:56 AM
I guess maybe I should look at the date once in a while huh?

DaveEX7
04-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
4punks I have ridden a few Honda 90's and they shift real smooth not hard at all :D

Is the predator 90 a 2 stroke? (if so I would hope it would out run the others...)

Ya, who would want a lil Raptor, for what they are and how much they want for it, it is definatly not worth it!

I wonder how many people post as guests then get real user names??

My friends lil bro just got rid of his Rap. 80 and gotta Polaris 90....... I like it cause it takes off a lot better then the Raptor but both were fun to do wheelies on :devil