PDA

View Full Version : neighborhood gas lines

One_Bad_400
12-17-2007, 03:45 PM
for those of you that know ANYTHING about neighborhod gas lines... how hard is it to bend one ding one or anything? today me and a friend left school today becsaue we didnt have nothin to do in there and desided to go a little off roading near his house and i went in some good ruts and i ended up bottoming out and getting stuck.. i had to leave my truck becasue i had a final exam to do in 45 minutes... so i left it and as i was in school i got a text that said cops were at my truck and the owner there too... he said i was parked right on top of a gas line and if i bent it or anyhting that i would have to pay??? how hard is it to mess one of these 2" steel gas lines?

Ghost-Rider
12-17-2007, 03:48 PM
How deep are the ruts ? You better hope you didn't hurt a gas line.

Aceman
12-17-2007, 04:49 PM
They're made out of steel, so they're pretty solid. As long as there is earth under the pipe so it's not supporting the weight of your truck like a bridge, you're probably alright. I highly doubt just parking on it will bend it but you never know. On the bright side they could still stick it to you, you know, just cause they can.

bens250ex
12-17-2007, 04:56 PM
cough cough then i had to pull your ace out cough cough.. where is my thank you oh so very much benny. cough cough

tw1976
12-17-2007, 05:24 PM
I install gas lines for a living. 2" steel is pretty tough. Your not going to rupture it by driving on it. What is going to happen though is that you are going to damage the coating. Once the bare steel under the coating is exposed it will begin to corrode the steel and eventually leak. May happen in a year may be 15 years depends on soil, how old the line is, and how well cathodically protected the line is. If they know you damaged it by your plates or something I imagine they could hold you responsible when it does leak. Tell the gas company and have them wrap it, if it's exposed it's a five minute job.

Are you sure it's steel? Most new gas lines are PE plastic. You can break those by looking at them wrong.

One_Bad_400
12-17-2007, 06:12 PM
the owner said 2" steel... well thats what the cop sid the owner said...

p.s. THANK YOU SO MUCH BENNY!!! we shoulda just tried it from the rear in the first place... wouldnt had been in any of the crap... lol... and if trish wouldnt said something... slap a hoe... lol

54warrior
12-18-2007, 10:59 AM
This thread is useless without pictures!!!

chris46250r
12-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
This thread is useless without pictures!!!

Exactly! Lets see a picture of Trish.