PDA

View Full Version : jetting question..endcap on and off?

03trx400
12-17-2007, 01:59 PM
im getting a white brothers E2 slip-on for christmas, and im trying to get the jetting figured out so i can go out and buy the jets and run it sooner:)..but i dont want to buy a jetkit as ive heard they're just a waste of money. my question is...is there jetting that will work for this exhaust with the endcap on and off? just a little rich with it on and just right with it off?..im asking this because i plan to ride with it on and off..alot of the places i ride will have to have it in but some places ill be able to take it out..it would be a pain to switch the jetting everytime i wanted to change. any ideas?...the quad is completely stock minus the pipe and a Uni air filter...the air box lid will be on.

Thanks in advance, Matt

maxfior
12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
You'll benefit from removing the air box lid, if you think that you'll be running in some nasties you can get a pre-filter from EHS or make your own, that's what I'm going to do. As for jetting you'll want to bump the slowjet to a #40 or #42, you also might want to bump up the main too. Getting a few sizes up will be good to have, then you can check the plug color and go from there.

Max

CarGuy7a
12-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by maxfior
You'll benefit from removing the air box lid, if you think that you'll be running in some nasties you can get a pre-filter from EHS or make your own, that's what I'm going to do. As for jetting you'll want to bump the slowjet to a #40 or #42, you also might want to bump up the main too. Getting a few sizes up will be good to have, then you can check the plug color and go from there.

Max

^^^ he's talking about the tunable end cap. but yes what you said is true.

i have the E2 and i didn't really notice a difference between the spark arrestor in and then taking it out (jetting wise). if you get it close on jetting with the competition tip in then it should be ok with the spark arrestor in.

you will feel a big power difference between the 2. once you get used to the comp tip you will never want to install the spark arrestor. but if you have to then you have to.

as far as what kind of jets to get that's up to you. i have the dynojet kit and haven't had any problems with it. if you follow the directions it'll be fine. i believe White brothers recommends a Keihin 155 jet for just a stock application with a performance filter. i had the dynojet kit so i threw a 155DJ in it and it ran fine.

also when i ordered my pipe from Honda Dealership when i bought my quad it came with the 155 jet so check on that to see if they'll send you the jet. if they will then you're set.

03trx400
12-17-2007, 05:05 PM
alright, thanks for the replys:) so a 155 on the main..and the pilot should be good..or i bump that up to a 40 or 42? im about 1250ft for elevation i think.

ive got another question..the pipe just came..so i had to take a peek at it:P..but looking online ive noticed that most of them have 3 red bars that make up the W...this one just has a flashy looking W..is there a difference?

Thanks, Matt

CarGuy7a
12-18-2007, 04:00 PM
the stock pilot would be ok with a little adjusting on the fuel screw. a #40 will help with cold starting.

the pipes are the same they just changed the emblem.

this one is mine it's an old one.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/CarGuy7a/Picture004.jpg

they changed it to this. is this what your's looks like?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/CarGuy7a/e2.jpg

03trx400
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
yeah i got the old one i guess...which explains why it was $105 off list price :P..but hey...they dont go bad sitting there and it still looks good so it works for me lol

..and i guess ill move up to a #40 on the pilot cause this thing is already a pain to start in the cold...

CarGuy7a
12-19-2007, 04:10 PM
hey that sounds like a freaking good deal man. $105 off list price just b/c it has a different emblem. i'd take it too. plus you can always repack that pipe for like $24 bucks.

i'm running my #40 at 1 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw. you might be able to use that as a starting point and then fine tune to your liking. it'll be a little different since we are at different elevations.

if you don't have the #40 pilot already you can either get it from jetsrus.com or C&D Racing. they're only like 5 or 6 bucks.

you'll like that pipe. they sound good with the spark screen in or out. mine got louder when i put the Hi flo FMF headers on.

03trx400
12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
sounds good..thanks alot. haha yea im sure i will like it..i havent heard anything but good about it so far

03trx400
12-23-2007, 08:29 PM
another question...when i read jetting topics ive heard alot about the needle..do i just leave this alone?..and with the fuel mixture screw how will i know when its set right

CarGuy7a
12-24-2007, 01:02 AM
your needle adjustment is for fine tuning of your main jet. what that adjustment does is meter the fuel squirting through the main jet when you are at half to full throttle. if you lower the clip towards the tapered end you richen the mixture a little bit and the opposite for raising the clip.

i can't really say i adjusted anything because when i did my pipe and jetting i used the dynojet kit in which i had to install the dynojet needle which is different than the stock needle.

if you install a keihin jet then you can use your stock needle. what i would do is put the jet in, ride it for a little while and listen to the motor and what it's doing in what RPM range.

take off normally in 1st gear then shift to second, hammer it wide open in second and go through 3rd gear the same way. as your'e doing this be sure to listen for any kind of bogg when stabbing the gas and listen for any kind of popping sound right before you shift (just make sure you don't bang the rev limiter when doing this). you'll have either one or the other and if you don't have either then your really really close on your jetting and needle position. if you have a slight popping on top end, move your needle clip down one notch this will richen the main just a hair and help get rid of the lean popping. and do the exact opposite for a slight bogg. put it all back together and run another test to see if it helps it.

sorry for the long post but i hope that helps explain it.

03trx400
12-24-2007, 08:42 AM
dont be sorry for the long post, it explained alot to me. thanks alot for all your help

CarGuy7a
12-24-2007, 10:02 AM
not a problem that's why we're here.:D

03trx400
12-25-2007, 10:55 AM
ive got another question carguy:P...ive got the pipe and airfilter on..i started it up for a second and it sounds great...but what did you do for the carb? i mean did you take it off or just turn it or what...

CarGuy7a
12-25-2007, 11:51 AM
you mean to change the jet right? umm you can twist the carb and weasel the bowl off. but i just took my carb completely off the quad that way i wouldn't get any dirt or anything in the carb.

it's easier for me to take the carb off than fool around with tryin to twist it then ease the bowl off.

i usually take all my plastics off and the gas tank too. i've done it so many times i can probably do a rejet in like 20 minutes or less taking the carb off.

loosening the clamps and twisting the carb is a good quick way to adjust your fuel mixture screw without taking the carb off. i did that until i bought the motion pro tool. that thing is the best carb tool i've ever spent money on.

just make sure when you put the carb back on and hook up your throttle cable that you get full throttle. i usually adjust it until the slide goes all the way up in the recess at the top of the carb. you'll have to open the choke up to see it.

also do you have a manual? that's where i learned most of my stuff from. they're a great tool to have as well. i shot over to my honda dealer and picked up a clymer for like 20 something bucks and i've never taken my quad back to Honda. they wanted to charge me like 400 to 500 bucks for a oil change, install my pipe and jet kit, and a valve adjustment. that's a freaken rip off.

03trx400
12-25-2007, 06:10 PM
alright sounds good...right now im a bit stuck...the screw on the intake boot stripped..i gotta get a kit for that tomarrow then im gonna try to find a screw with a hex head for it to avoid stripping it again. ive got a clymers..i just didnt tthink to look there lol. anyways thanks alot for your help.

CarGuy7a
12-25-2007, 11:40 PM
yeah those hose clamps they use for the intake boots are junk. i had to do the same thing.