PDA

View Full Version : Installing rear caliper slide pin boots.

Blown 331
12-17-2007, 10:27 AM
In the process of putting new brake pads on the rear of my 03 400EX I noticed the slide pin was totally froze. It took some time to get it out, I had to beat on it with a hammer and punch for quite awile. I bought a new pin and boots. I absolutely cannot get the new boots in with the pin. I tired putting the boots in the caliper first, putting the boots on the pin first and putting the pin in the caliper first. Nothing is working. Is there a trick to this that anyone knows of? Im a doing something wrong? I'm about ready to say screw it and just not have boots on the pin.

Blown 331
12-18-2007, 05:43 AM
TTT

440challenger
12-18-2007, 06:24 AM
I leave them out.. i know thats probably not the answer that you want to hear but i just wire wheel the pins and grease them up. Havent had any problems for years.

Blown 331
12-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger
Havent had any problems for years.

Hey, I'll take that answer. That's what I'll do then. I don't like riding in water or mud so that should help, though I do get into them sometimes.

duey
12-18-2007, 08:09 AM
I just replaced the front pins and boots on mine. No problems at all here. I installed the boots on the calipers, packed them with some grease, put some grease on the slide pins and they slid right through. Wipe off any excess grease and good to go. Good luck.

Blown 331
12-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by duey
I just replaced the front pins and boots on mine. No problems at all here. I installed the boots on the calipers, packed them with some grease, put some grease on the slide pins and they slid right through. Wipe off any excess grease and good to go. Good luck.

Weird, I don't know what I'm doing wrong then.

duey
12-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Installing the boots into the caliper first is the easiest method I found. Then work the slide pin through the boot. Sometimes using a small screwdriver to "stretch" the boots over the pin helps, but be very careful you don't tear the boot. When I did the fronts, I was able to insert the pin into the caliper from the outside so that when it was time for the pin to slide through the boot, the smaller end of the pin with the threads on it went through the boots first. Hope this helps.

Blown 331
12-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by duey
Installing the boots into the caliper first is the easiest method I found. Then work the slide pin through the boot. Sometimes using a small screwdriver to "stretch" the boots over the pin helps, but be very careful you don't tear the boot. When I did the fronts, I was able to insert the pin into the caliper from the outside so that when it was time for the pin to slide through the boot, the smaller end of the pin with the threads on it went through the boots first. Hope this helps.

Sounds good, tried it and still couldn't get it. I said screw those boots and put it together without them.

duey
12-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Blown 331
Sounds good, tried it and still couldn't get it. I said screw those boots and put it together without them.

I know the feeling. Frustrating sometimes. Just keep the caliper clean. Good luck.