PDA

View Full Version : Info needed exhaust / gearing

lawdog800
12-17-2007, 08:35 AM
I am a new member here, and picked up a 2000 400EX for my son. We are going to go thru it top to bottom over the winter and I am looking for suggestions. We are trying to keep it low budget yet make it better all around. The engine will r emain as stock as possible depending what it is inside now???

What gearing is best for general play riding trails, maybe a track, but no racing, we save the racing for the snow...Sno-Cross

Is an exhaust upgrade worth the money, or just a slip on muffler??? Brand matter??? I am working on getting 450 shocks now, gonna strip and gusset frame and have powder coated, new plastics, unsure if sticking with 2000 style or up grade to 05-06 style, gonna need new tires, we have a new black seat already.

He really likes the stealth black frame and red plastics like the project quad this site did so that is the way we are leaning for colors.

His sister got a new Arctic Cat DVX400, and he got this one, which he likes better, so a rebuild is gonna make it like new like his sisters.....

Thanx

lawdog800
12-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Here is pic that didnt attach

lawdog800
12-17-2007, 08:39 AM
His sisters.......

lawdog800
12-17-2007, 08:41 AM
And the winter stuff.........He is #564

zrpilot
12-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by lawdog800
I am a new member here, and picked up a 2000 400EX for my son. We are going to go thru it top to bottom over the winter and I am looking for suggestions. We are trying to keep it low budget yet make it better all around. The engine will r emain as stock as possible depending what it is inside now???

What gearing is best for general play riding trails, maybe a track, but no racing, we save the racing for the snow...Sno-Cross

Is an exhaust upgrade worth the money, or just a slip on muffler??? Brand matter??? I am working on getting 450 shocks now, gonna strip and gusset frame and have powder coated, new plastics, unsure if sticking with 2000 style or up grade to 05-06 style, gonna need new tires, we have a new black seat already.

He really likes the stealth black frame and red plastics like the project quad this site did so that is the way we are leaning for colors.

His sister got a new Arctic Cat DVX400, and he got this one, which he likes better, so a rebuild is gonna make it like new like his sisters.....

Thanx
Welcome to the site.

Nice pictures.

Here is a couple of my thoughts:
Low budget engine mods:
1) Slip-on
2) Open lid airbox
3) Re-jet
4) Sparks timing advance key
5) Drop a tooth in front sprocket

Suspension upgrades:
1) 450R shocks rebuilt by C&D. the stock 450R shocks simply are not the right length in the stock form
2) 400EX rear, rebuilt by C&D
Good front end alignment

boosted3g
12-17-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree with exerything zrpilot says but i would do a little to the engine. It looks like your son likes exitement and he may get bored with stock 400ex power. Instead of the timing key go with a 11:1 stock sized or a small over bore piston and a stage 1 hot cam. You can get away with about 300 for all the engine parts and gaskets. With those modifications and new plastic it will run better than new, handle better than new, and look as good as new. What more can you ask.

lawdog800
12-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanx,
I have been watching some used full exhausts on evil bay, but may look at just a muffler

maxfior
12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
...yeah, as for pipes a lot of people here like the HMF (good bang for the buck) but I am still interested in the Lexx (Found at Rocky Mountain ATV) I still wondering if there is someone out there that took the plunge and bought it...

M.

12-18-2007, 06:36 PM
there is a guy on here that bought it and said its pretty good. Doubt its as good as the HMF or on hat level but if you read there are all reviews saying very possitive things about and no negatives or its just alrights

lawdog800
12-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Is it worth the extra $$$ for a full exhaust or Ok to just get the slip-on and be done. I dont have any major mods planned for the engine, unless it needs it. This quad is for a fun toy, still want to run pump gas..we have to run 110 octane in the snowmobile. This is just an off season toy .........

More of our Sno racing pics at www.peerpressureracing.net

nick249420
12-18-2007, 08:43 PM
i would go with the full
more power
better sound

Fitz400ex
12-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Since it is an older quad you might just think about getting a big bore kit to rebuild the piston walls (depending on what kind of rider had it before you) and a friend of mine just bought a LEXX Exhaust slip on from Rockymountainatvmc.com and it was only 200 dollars. I was worried at first (seeing how most go for 300-800) but he just took the spark arrestor out and it sounds just as good as my whitebrothers exhaust and it runs just as fast now. We have all of the same upgrades on the exact same quad but different pipes, i paid 400 for mine, he paid 200 for his and it is identical speed wise, we cant beat eachother. The only things we have done are k&n filter, stage 2 hotcam and exhaust, and one size bigger jet in the carb. and it runs GREAT. gatta love those 400ex's......things are freakin bulletproof

12-30-2007, 10:23 AM
HMF is the best bang for the buck. If you can get a used 1 in good condition its even better. I got my HMF in perfect condition for $135 shipped to my door and it had a quiet core. Check the for sale section you will find great deals if you wait.

lawdog800
01-05-2008, 11:48 PM
I got a full Pro Circuit exhaust off of classified here, advertised as brand new, just waiting for it to arrive.
We are definantly going to completely tear the engine apart and measure everything with some sort of new bore or sleve depending on what it needs. I believe a stage 1 hotcam as well..

j450rking
01-06-2008, 07:47 PM
with a 11 to 1 piston you can still use 93 octane pump gas and a hotcam will be good to not that you have to but the ex is a bit slower then the dvx so your son will want to keep up. the stage one hotcam is for low end power and the stage 2 is for top end power. the flate black frame with red plastic is realy nice i should know thats what i have.

01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
either those are some huge rear tires or your fronts are miniature. It looks like a drag racer

j450rking
01-06-2008, 09:17 PM
the fronts are 21 and the rears are 20 it was on a hill and so was i so it made it look like that idk why. the turf tamers rounded a bit too

lawdog800
01-06-2008, 09:44 PM
It looks like we will be going some sort of overbore depending on what size the engine is now. 11:1 seems like the preffered set-up, undecided on stage 1 or 2 hot cam, full Pro Circuit exhaust,
He wants Stealth black frame and prob lower a-arms with possibly red uppers and swing arm, the stock red hubs with satin black wheels or stealth (I think satin black wheels would look better)...Possibly some coated engine parts, side cases red, maybe a moly coated cylinder????? and he likes 3 graphics packages so far..the first one appears to be discontinued though....... (NOTE: If this is your quad I am posting a pic of..thanks...he likes it..)

lawdog800
01-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Choice #2:

lawdog800
01-06-2008, 09:49 PM
And choice #3........