PDA

View Full Version : Need advice....

416exfreak
12-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Ok. We'll start this off by saying I am in no way unhappy with my 440.

But, in 6 months, I will have the option of selling it and getting a 450, or keeping it and getting some more stuff for it (suspension).

I plan on racing MX either way. I already race a little bit, but ona quad with stock suspension (other than 450r fronts) its a bit challenging.

Basically, what would you do?

Keep what your comfortable on and just make it handle better? or start over from scratch, get used to a whole new quad and then have to dump another ton of $ into it?

Right now, all my 440 needs is an axle, a-arms and some good shocks. It can already hold its own against most of the 450's.

What would you do?

Robin Hood
12-16-2007, 07:24 PM
I'd say put her up for sale just to see what you could get. Ya know, test the waters. I know 400's don't maintain a good resale value but it is a worthy cause.

I still need to sell my rappy to pay for some LTR parts, but IMO it was well worth it.

Sjorge450R
12-16-2007, 07:44 PM
i could have gotten 2 400ex's for the price i paid for my new 450r. Im so happy i didnt go that way. The R is just that much better than the 400ex even stock. Im sure you have ridden an R and if you havent. Do yourself a favor and do it! That should make up your mind pretty easy....lol

BlaineKaiser450
12-16-2007, 09:05 PM
yea get a 450 i love mine and almost went with a 400ex but then rode a 450r and my mind was made up

416exfreak
12-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Thats just the thing. Ive rode every 450 (aside from the KTM and polaris) and none of them seemed to live up to the hype.

Right now my engine is being shipped to Duncan racing to be freshened up and a little bit more port work done.

Im just extremely comfortable on my 400ex. I can hit jumps and come up short, but still ride away. I guess in time I could get used to a 450.

I just dont know wether or not I want to sell my already fast quad, and start over. Or make my already fast quad handle better and continue racing it.

If I do decide to keep it, I'll buy used front end parts. I'll be 16 working minimum wage...so, I wont be able to afford 1500+ for suspension on just one end.:D

BTW- Ive heard that 250r a-arms and shocks will bolt right up on a 400ex....is this true?

Ruby Soho
12-17-2007, 02:27 PM
well it sounds like you really like the 440. buy some used suspension then. if your quad needs suspension and thats it why not do it? youll need suspension on the 450 too so you mine as well do it now instead of having to go through the hole new quad

dustin_j
12-17-2007, 03:43 PM
I think the valving will be off on the 250r shocks, but they will bolt up I think. The A-arms will need to be cut (where they mount to the frame), but mine work great. I bought the quad with them on and didn't know the difference.

416exfreak
12-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
I think the valving will be off on the 250r shocks, but they will bolt up I think. The A-arms will need to be cut (where they mount to the frame), but mine work great. I bought the quad with them on and didn't know the difference.

What do you mean "they will have to be cut"? Like where exactly do thay have to be cut.

And I would have the shocks revalved to my weight and riding style.