PDA

View Full Version : 07er hard to start after kill

secondrate
12-16-2007, 04:24 PM
i have an 07er hmf slip on, k&n, and no lid. runs awesome but when i kill it on a trail or somethin it's a pain to start back up, it just cranks forever and then finally fires.
anybody have this problem or a fix?

badazz400ex
12-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Nature of the beast, mine does the same thing. Nothing you can do, you can try to play with the decompression. I set mine a little looser. Helped a little.

12-17-2007, 06:19 AM
same problem here...i recently purchased a carb witha hot start to see if that helps any...if not, the bike is going to go...it is too much of a problem that we should not be dealing with...

mymastifftucker
12-17-2007, 07:34 AM
I dont remember the exact #'s but..........change the leak jet. If you search this forum you will find the answer you are looking for. I have a 07 450er also and it does this same thing. I saw something on here a while ago about changing the leak jet, but havent done it yet. It is supposed to fix this problem.

Purcell450r
12-17-2007, 07:51 AM
The HRC kit helped with the starting problems on mine.

Lonestar_R
12-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Get used to it....the pilot jet is what needs to be changed. But then you run into problems when starting cold. I had the problem with my 06 ER from day one and it never got better. I guess that is why I no longer own it and an LTR is in my garage.

TRX450RACER174
12-17-2007, 07:02 PM
It's in the jetting, mine starts up fine 06ER mods in my sig, i choke it when cold starts right up after warm it will start right up, my race last weekend it was 48deg outside started fine everytime, the 07ER we have also starts up great it's piped has a a/f and is stock internally and starts right up also hot or cold, most jetting is a baseline it's still takes a little fine tuning, if you dont have an adj air needle get one that should help to.

badazz400ex
12-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Guys, the problem isnt hot or cold starting, mine does great dead engine start in XC races. The problem is under load stalling. It takes a little longer than normal to start. The leak jet helps with off throttle acceleration, not starting after stalling under load, like hard braking. The only thing I can think of is the tiny Duracell battery they have in them with no cranking amps.

12-18-2007, 06:07 AM
essentially, it is hot starting...as it was explained to me...the motor remains saturated with fuel and the addition of the more fuel while starting creates a flooded condition...there for a hot start helps as it prevents the excess fuel from entering the motor.

other things to help is make sure the bike is in neutral...this seems to make starting while hot/ or recently "killed" easier...and yes the weak battery also plays a part in this

i don't believe this is jetting issue as i have had smaller than stock to larger than stock jets in my carb and have had the same issue...i also have adjusted my a/f screw with each jet change and still have not solved the problem...