PDA

View Full Version : sand blasting clutch plates

double d 1
12-16-2007, 10:55 AM
those of you who had clutch slipping problems, how did you fix it. are you sandblasting the original plates or the trx plates. and do you put new fibers in also? how much to sandblast ? can some one give a step by step parts list and prices. thank you. im asking because we need a dedicated thread for this problem. mine is not slipping yet but i changed to the honda oil after the first 2 hour ride.

Jaybird
12-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I bought a set of EBC trx 90 fibers (25$), a set of heavy duty springs from Extreme(17$)and used the stock steels. When you order the springs get a couple of side cover gaskets also (7$ each) I also started using ROTELLA 15w40 oil. I cleaned the stock steels with brake cleaner and scuffed them with 150 grit sandpaper. I layed a full sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface and sanded the steels in a circular motion until all of the surface was scuffed. We have a bead blaster at work but I didn't have the patience to wait. I also let the fibers soak in oil for a few hours before installation. It works great. The shifter pressure is a little stiffer but my son isn't complaining so it must be okay. I also installed a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket and a race cam. He pulls second gear holeshots at full throttle with no slippage at all, leaves like a batt outa hell.
Brian

double d 1
12-16-2007, 02:48 PM
thanks for the info. sounds like the stock plates need a little work.