PDA

View Full Version : Guitar help.

ZeroLogic
12-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Hey, my brother wants to start playing guitar. He wants to know whats a good guitar to start on. Is there any books that can teach you how to play? Thanks!

12-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Green, red, yellow, blue, orange. Thats all you need to know

Ruby Soho
12-16-2007, 09:45 AM
for a beginner guitar, i would look into a not to expensive epiphone or a nicer squier. alot of people will tell you squiers suck, which the cheap ones yes but its something to start on.

as for books, im not sure. just learn how to read tabulature, and learn songs you like and just progress

try www.ultimate-guitar.com for tabs

Robin Hood
12-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1

X2 lol. :p

ZeroLogic
12-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1

I don't get it...:huh

Flyin-Low
12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
I started out on a Fender Squire, pretty good guitars for a beginner and not expensive at all. Trust me though, no matter what guitar he gets he will suck for quite a while haha.

And about the books, I had one when I first started and I think I got two pages in and ditched the thing. I just messed around until I could figure some stuff out and then took lessons with an instructor. Well worth the money.

-Martin

CannondaleRider
12-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Actually, depending on what he wants to play music wise, he might want to start on an acoustic.

For one, you can get a decent acoustic, for a very good price...and thats all you really need(obviously..picks, tuner, etc) With an electric, you need the guitar, the cable, the amp, etc.

Also, starting on an acoustic, you will develop finger strength much faster then with an electric. I don't know if it's the case for everyone, but I know getting decent on an acoustic, then going to electric, made it MUCH easier on an electric. One of my buddies went to electric, then never could really go to acoustic. Might create a more broad range player, going with an acoustic first. Maybe thats just me.

As for the lessons...if you want to go the cheap route...you CAN actually teach yourself completely. Lots of websites and stuff like that to help you along...for free.

Ruby Soho
12-16-2007, 01:44 PM
i taught myself:p never really wanted to do the whole "lessons" thing so i started messing around with a cheap harmony guitar and went on from there. its not hard if you start off with easy style music

416exfreak
12-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Ive been playing for 3 years.

Im completely self taught and I constantly suprise people. It all depends on what style of music he wants to play, how bad he wants to learn and how much he's willing to devote himself to it.

I come home and play guitar for hours everyday...

I just got my new baby:D

Ibanez RG series with a Floyd Rose and locking nut. 24 frets too! :D
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/440kid/Guitar026.jpg

shftmx300ex
12-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I don't get it...:huh

there talkin about guitar hero, that video game..the one were if people can play a song on expert they think there an awsome guitar player.

12-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by shftmx300ex
there talkin about guitar hero, that video game..the one were if people can play a song on expert they think there an awsome guitar player.

o but its true :p lol j/k

CannondaleRider
12-16-2007, 05:05 PM

haha, exactly.

I always get a kick out of people assuming they can play guitar because they've mastered guitar hero..

shftmx300ex
12-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
haha, exactly.

I always get a kick out of people assuming they can play guitar because they've mastered guitar hero..

and the new game rockband with the drumset..ive been playin the drums for longer than i can count and people think there better cuz they can play a metallica song on rockband with the 4 pads you have to hit..i think its hilarious.

ZeroLogic
12-16-2007, 05:24 PM

Ohhh! Yea I just told him to buy guitar hero instead while he was telling my what to post.:p

shftmx300ex
12-16-2007, 05:50 PM
i meen yea i have guitar hero 3 its a fun game but i hate people that think they are an awsome guitar player cuz they can play it.

Robin Hood
12-16-2007, 05:55 PM
The more I play guitar hero, the more I want a guitar for Xmas. I'd love to learn the real thing.

ZeroLogic
12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Robin Hood
The more I play guitar hero, the more I want a guitar for Xmas. I'd love to learn the real thing.

I think thats what happened to my bro. I never got into that game to much. While everyone was playing it I was playing Mx Vs Atv.:blah:

416exfreak
12-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Only game I've seriously gotten into is Gran Turismo 4.

I love the others, but 4 just blows them away.:D

trx400EXtreme
12-16-2007, 07:14 PM
i think its funny when people think that because they can play guitar HERO they think they can go buy a $1000 guitar and shread, then they suck and just wasted $1000.:devil:

but about guitars. i bought my cousins old ibanez for my first guitar, its nice. not the best, but for a first guitar it's awesome. heres a pic. .http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/trx400extreme/P6020358.jpg

Robin Hood
12-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Only game I've seriously gotten into is Gran Turismo 4.

I love the others, but 4 just blows them away.:D

X2!

I was hooked on GT3 all throughout middle school. When GT4 came out you couldn't pull me from my tv haha.

ZeroLogic
12-16-2007, 07:26 PM
He wants a acoustic one...

Any suggestions?

416exfreak
12-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Takamine
Yamaha
Seagull
Ovation
Ibanez

Those are a few I can think of off of the top of my head.

Any of those would be great for a begginer and he can always play it.

CannondaleRider
12-16-2007, 07:42 PM
My first acoustic was an Epiphone AJ-1.

It actually plays very well, and has a good tone(especially with good strings) The intonation is a TAD off, but what do you expect for a beginner level guitar.

The best thing...really well priced. If he ends up not liking playing guitar..he's not out much