PDA

View Full Version : alignment

BamBam730
12-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I have a 2004 400 ex and I have noticed that my front end looks out of alignment. The tie rods setting appears to have no change around where the nut secures the settings in place. The ball joints look and feel fine. The right front tire if you were sitting on the quad seems to be toed in at the top and toed out on the bottom. I just recently noticed it, but it rides fine. Should I be concerned and is there anything I can do to correct it? Thanks for any help.

BamBam730
12-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Here is a pic of what I am talking about.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii243/bambam730/100_0775.jpg

zrpilot
12-16-2007, 11:18 AM
Front end condition (toe, Camber, castor, bump steer, tire pressures, ETC....) is a long subject, but in general, this is a desired condition, but I can't speak about the amount without making measurements. Take a carpenter's square and measure the amount at the top with the rider on the quad. With stock arms is not adjustable.

BamBam730
12-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Just curios why this is a desired condition? With me on the atv its not as bad but it still has a little toe outwards at the bottom of the tire.

Wheelie
12-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Looks like a bent spindle or a bent a-arm.

zrpilot
12-16-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not saying your front is NOT damaged, all I'm saying that in general, this is normal!

Thanks to 400exrider707 for this drawing.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l97/zrpilot/FrontView.jpg

03trx400
12-18-2007, 06:13 PM
mines like that too...if everythings tight and works fine id say just leave it alone

Mochanic
01-03-2008, 04:19 PM
My 01 does the exact same thing on the right side only!

I have seen this on a couple other quads too. Anybody actually know what really is bent or not right?

I'm considering making some upper arm mount bushings that are on eccentircs so the camber will be fully adjustable. (unless somebody already sells these).

gcart2
01-03-2008, 04:55 PM
if you want to you could switcvh front tires and hubs around and seeif the same thing occurs on the oppisate side. if so you no its a wheel/hub issue.

JOEX
01-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Looks kinda like the right tire has flexed a bit at the bottom giving the illusion of being out of alignment. The pic is taken at bit of an angle too so that'll make it look off too.

Get the front end off the ground a bit and spin the tires and see how it looks

Ntensweapon
01-03-2008, 05:23 PM
it is a "desired setup" because of traction. when tire is leaned in at the top it is negative CAMBER. when you enter a corner the suspension collapses and forces the tire to stand up creating more contact patch. it is best to have both sides equal if you are turning both directions equally. oval racecars will actually use up to 3 neg on the rigth front and 3 pos. on the left front.
TOE is the angle the tires point from the centerline of the chassis. toe in would be pigeon toed. toe out would be..i guess penguin toed??? idk trying to draw a picture with words. hope you get the idea.
caster is the angle of the spindle. usually fixed i think??? it helps you either enter a turn better or exit a turn better.
bumpsteer i've always considered a condition more than an adjustment mayeb thats why it baffles me lol. i know how to correct it inmy r/c cars. but i don't know how it translates over to quads.
then theres ackerman and roll centers....good stuff

Mochanic
01-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Ntensweapon
it is a "desired setup" because of traction. when tire is leaned in at the top it is negative CAMBER. when you enter a corner the suspension collapses and forces the tire to stand up creating more contact patch. it is best to have both sides equal if you are turning both directions equally. oval racecars will actually use up to 3 neg on the rigth front and 3 pos. on the left front.
TOE is the angle the tires point from the centerline of the chassis. toe in would be pigeon toed. toe out would be..i guess penguin toed??? idk trying to draw a picture with words. hope you get the idea.
caster is the angle of the spindle. usually fixed i think??? it helps you either enter a turn better or exit a turn better.
bumpsteer i've always considered a condition more than an adjustment mayeb thats why it baffles me lol. i know how to correct it inmy r/c cars. but i don't know how it translates over to quads.
then theres ackerman and roll centers....good stuff

Yeah it might be good for turning left, but since its only on the right side it just makes for a poor handeling quad with a pull to the left.

i'm betting that the spindle has gotten bent from a hard landing or something. reguardless of what it is, it didn't come like that new!

Ntensweapon
01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
yes i agree, something is bent there. they would be equal from the factory. forgot to mention that earlier.

glamiskid395
01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
my 400 (04) and my 2 friends 400s (02/03) all do the same thing, the same amount.

its been that way since we've bought them new and hasnt gotten worse.

WFO400
01-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah my 05 looks the exact same on both sides. It doesn't effect the handling and nothing looks bent, so I'd say it's fine.

400exrider707
01-04-2008, 08:48 AM
I've talked back and forth with this guy through emails and PMs and looked at dozens of pictures he's sent me. I've come to my best conclusion I can strictly looking at pictures, and I think his spindle shaft is bent. Only thing I can think of. All bushings and bearings are tight. Swapping rims from one side to the other still looks the same. I doubt the hub itself is bent, though I guess anything is possible, and the a-arms are straight. This is my best guess.

glamiskid395
01-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I've talked back and forth with this guy through emails and PMs and looked at dozens of pictures he's sent me. I've come to my best conclusion I can strictly looking at pictures, and I think his spindle shaft is bent. Only thing I can think of. All bushings and bearings are tight. Swapping rims from one side to the other still looks the same. I doubt the hub itself is bent, though I guess anything is possible, and the a-arms are straight. This is my best guess.

say what?
thats means both my front spindles are bent from the factory?

zrpilot
01-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I doubt the hub itself is bent, though I guess anything is possible, and the a-arms are straight. This is my best guess.

WOW, I would have never thought that as well....

This whole thread should give us all reasons to inspect our quads before and maybe after every ride.

I always measure the front end and visually look over my quad to make sure things look right. Someone who knows 1000X more then me about quad suspensions taught me how to spot front end issues quickly!

BamBam730
01-04-2008, 09:02 PM
I want to thank everyone for their input. I just want to tell everyone that when I ride the quad does not pull even know the front end looks like it would pull. After hearing how many other guys with 400 ex's have the same condition I am going to just leave it for a while, and if it gets any worse I will then redo my front end. Thanks again and have a happy new year.