12-16-2007, 03:45 AM
Sign the petition to stop the doe hunt!

http://www.petitiononline.com/nodoe/petition.html

Pvt. Maggot
12-16-2007, 04:28 AM
And why exactly might you want to do that? :huh

Crazy Diamond
12-16-2007, 04:34 AM
I don't know where you hunt but around here the deer are getting pretty scarce. I have been hunting for 25 years and the last few years have been getting worse each year. The people at work getting deer are very few along with other people I know the story is all the same. Alot of places used to have buck pools every year. I can't even find them anymore. 2 or 3 guys out of like 40 that hunt got buck this year. That used to be more like 20-25. Out of 10 people in my family that hunt. We had 1 buck petween us. The game lands up here are like wastelands anymore. I am off for 3 days of bear and just about all of deer season. I worked 4 days out of 3 weeks the rest I was in the woods in different places. I saw a total of 6 deer. I used to see no less than 25 a few years back. Out of those 6 deer I saw 5 were yearlings.

Jblazin98
12-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow I feel really bad for the hunters that are not seeing the deer like they used to be..But I dont think not hunting ANY does is the problem.

I think we need for of a management system in PA. I agree with the antler restriction. I have def been seeing more bucks where I live. But i think if you cut out doe hunting you are asking for bigger problems.

If you have a muzzleloader and want to shoot a doe come to my farm..I have crop damage tags..

honda8&3
12-17-2007, 03:43 PM
In Massachusetts where I live the deer used to be EVERYWHERE! Now I only see a few here and there. Way to much "pushing" and shooting to get a deer. I hope they shut the season down for a year or 2 to bring back the deer population. :(

Crazy Diamond
12-17-2007, 04:13 PM
jblazin---Thanks for the offer but I don't even know where Derry is! LOL Where I hunt in SGL 57 we used to see around 12-15 deer on any given day. (Ahhhh, those were the days.) That was when they started the buck doe season. After that year the number was cut in half and then in half again. We really NEED doe up here. Stopping hunting them on the gamelands around here would really help. The SGL's I'm talking about is somewhere between 25-30,000 acres. I hunt different areas and I know guys that hunt other areas of this and no one is getting any deer. Between the coyote and the much sighted mountain lion they also take out a few here and there. And yes, I have a pic of the mountain lion that I got on my motion camera a few years back! So I know there is at least one. But anyway, I agree with deer management and I have always let the small buck go. Hell, every year I used to go bigger than the year before. Until I got my 13 pointer. Damn thing. I doubt I'll get bigger than that. I still have to get a 10-11-12 and they are hard to come by now too. But truthfully after this year is over there probably won't be any deer left here. So saving all the doe would really help.

Crazy Diamond
12-17-2007, 04:16 PM
I also have a cabin adjacent to the same gamelands and I have a corn feeder there. The only thing I feed in the winter are squirrels and in the spring summer and fall I feed chipmunks and bears. NO Deer show up for chow time anymore.

Pvt. Maggot
12-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Honestly, I think its just the fact that nobody enjoys going out in the woods and sitting, they would rather get a case of beer and drive around and shoot something out of their truck, I haven't seen many deer either, because they don't have any reason to move, if there were hunters in the woods and some shooting, they would be scattering. I just really don't think taking away doe season will help anything at all.

Crazy Diamond
12-17-2007, 09:45 PM
PVT.--Being that I graduated 7 months before you were born I also was hunting 6 or 7 years longer than you are old. I also don't wait for other hunters to get in the woods to chase deer around. I go to the areas they move naturally. They don't just sit in an area all their lives. They do move around. The bed down a few times a day in different spots and they feed in different areas also. Somewhere around a 5 mile loop they usually occupy. I also go deep into the woods where no one else goes and years ago I did see alot of deer moving on their own. I could sit ALL day or I can still hunt all day. I have the 3 weeks off from Bear season until the end of deer season. And I personally never shot a deer driving around drinking a case of beer or without beer. Altho that would probably be fun in another state where you can drive 100 miles without seeing a house or building. I have noticed since they changed the season and give most guys around here 2 and sometimes 3 doe tags if they get lucky. These are the people that shoot all the doe in an area because they can do it legally. If they left it at 1 buck and 1 doe it probably would have been alright. When you see 4-5 doe together they are usually a family. That family occupy an area like your home is to you. You can have great, grand, mother and daughter all running together. The buck usually are solitary and when you see them together they are usually related in some way. Once you shoot all the doe in that area the buck will move out looking for the doe and sometimes not come back. Therefore there is nothiong left to hunt in lots of places. Take a week and hunt with me in my woods and see how many deer you see. It really disgusts me. You are probably the guy that gets in the woods around 8 in the morning and walks about 5 minutes from the road and just waits for someone to push something into you. And if there is a shot nearby you go running over hoping that their deer ran a little and you can get a shot at it and steal their deer. I have seen that before.

79400ex
12-18-2007, 09:36 AM
If you want to hunt for deer come to MIssouri. We have so many deers that people are hitting them with cars all the time. We have been in need of thinning the doe population for years.

54warrior
12-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Last year while spotting for only ONE HOUR, in Western PA, I traveled not more than a 5 mile radius of my home and saw 300+ deer, 34 of which were buck. This was on the Friday before rifle season.

There are no shortage of deer there, they destroy all the crops.

mittman
12-18-2007, 10:00 AM
i am 16 years old and i have been hunting since i was 12 and i have seen about 20 deer in the past 5 years all together my dad tells me about ten years ago he would see about 30 deer a day and he says there are no deer because they put doe and buck together. so this year i went up to my friends camp and i got a deer but the only reason i got a deer is because they have a 1000 acres that is posted

cdrookie
12-18-2007, 10:19 AM
we need to start hunting people! too many of them and they put housing developments up where prime deer habitat was. most of these people can't afford those houses anyway.

250x_kyle
12-18-2007, 03:59 PM
not having any problems here. i seen 6 the first da y and got my doe in that crappy weather. then the second day i went out after school didnt see any thing. but my brother seen 4. then wensday the third day i kicked up 5 doe and got an 11 point

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/needanewquad/11point.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/needanewquad/goodpic.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/needanewquad/goodpic2.jpg

Pvt. Maggot
12-19-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Diamond
PVT.--Being that I graduated 7 months before you were born I also was hunting 6 or 7 years longer than you are old.

Um, not sure what your trying to say by that? But i'm not going to entertain you with anymore opinions. :o Hail to the hunting god. :rolleyes:

hondardr4life
12-19-2007, 04:49 AM
I'm 17 now, and I've been hunting since around 10 (don't tell anyone, haha), and I have noticed a slight decline in how many deer. I think the antler restriction is a pile of **** personally. All it does is let the bucks with bad genes breed more.. I saw 1 buck all season, and I hunted everyday. It was just a scrapper 6 point. My neighbor shot an ugly 10 point, just going to show that the deer with bad genes are breeding just as much as they were before.. We shot 2 doe, and I saw about 30 all season. I plan to kill another in muzzelloader tho, because we don't have enough meat.

Mxjunkie
12-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Here in Chester County we have so many deer they look like cows out in the fields on a good night lol, for a couple years which this may still stand, we had plenty of imbred's out there with crooked racks and just plain arse ugly! Though, It seems I've seen more big bucks driving in my truck then anything! I think it's because of all building that's going on in PA it's no wonder we never see them. About a week ago I was driving through a devolpment that they just built a year ago and I saw 7-8 deer 2 of which were impressive bucks! They were running in peoples front yards then high tailing it to the woods, they usually cross the main roads here and get plowed lol.. Luckliy the woods behind my house is a gold mine for deer, when we get back to my track all you see is white tails scattering lol..

Splatter Matter
12-19-2007, 06:01 AM
Crazy Diamond is on the right track. up in this area the number of hunters way out number the deer. then most of the time that one hunter has 3 bonus tags. that is 4 deer that one person can shoot and i would guess 90% are doe. we need to keep the doe hunting to one a season not 4. there wear more than 850,000 doe tag this year not good. bring back the old 3 day doe but with only one tag per person.

and this does not help.
http://hunterspec.com/updateable/images/2005/013105.jpg

Crazy Diamond
12-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Yes! I know all about the deer in Western PA! There are alot out there. I was to Quadfest 1,2,3 and I saw deer every year and with the amount of people there was running around I was surprised to see them. Not all of the state needs to cut back but here we definately do. I can hunt within an hour in all directions in SGL's and have a cabin bordering a state park and gamelands. I am not going to go driving more than that for a deer. Hell, I spent $200. on gas alone going to where I do hunt and it would have been easier to go to the local grocery store and spent that money. At least I would have some meat! LOL

54warrior
12-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Crazy Diamond
At least I would have some meqat! LOL

Albeit steriod and supplement injected meat.

Crazy Diamond
12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
This is true 54! Yuck! And whoops on the spelling.