PDA

View Full Version : Wont Start!!!

smorris1
12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
I recently took off my a-arms and painted them and I also had my shift and brake lever powdercoated so it has been about a month since I have ridden the bike. I would every once and a while go out and start it up and rev it up just to run it. I did this about 4-5 times and it started instantly and ran fine even in this cold MI weather. Now today, when I finally get the bike all together, I go to start it and it JUST WONT START!!! I looked at the plug and it looked pretty black so I cleaned it really good and put it back in. It also has fresh fuel. Still does the same thing. Sometimes it will barely start with the choke on and me flooring it, then it just stalls again. Sometimes it will also backfire really loud out of nowhere.

I have no idea whats wrong with it. It ran fine 3 days ago. Is the engine damaged because of the cold starting. Is it too lean or too rich? Is it flooded? PLEASE HELP!!

Phillburt57
12-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Charge the battery, empty the carbs bowl, and put in a fresh plug. Try 3 pumps on the carb after you do this and see if it fires up. I hope this helps. good luck.

smorris1
12-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah tomorrow I am going to go get a new plug. Hopefully that works. I dont think the carb is clogged cause I didnt let it sit for more than 2 days without starting it.

smorris1
12-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Yeah the plug is fouled. IDK why tho. If its running rich, what adjustment should I make. The air/fuel mixture screw? I also heard that idleing the bike for a long time will cause a plug to foul. Since I just idled it and reved it up a couple times and never drove it in a while maybe thats why too. IDK!!

CarGuy7a
12-16-2007, 04:37 PM
the reason your plug is black due to rich main jet. IMO

if it is starting rough and backfiring really loud with the choke on then you have a plugged pilot jet. take your carb off and clean the jets out and while you have the gas tank off you may as well drain the gas in a clean container and maybe fix some way of filtering the fuel since you said it's fresh. then take your petcock out and clean the little screens then clean the tank out. may as well pop a new plug in it too.

my buddy was having the same problems out of his raptor except for the plug.

hope that helps. :D

smorris1
12-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I went and got a couple new plugs today and the bike starts instantly now. It was just a bad plug. Thanks again guys.