PDA

View Full Version : need help starting issue

ICER88
12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
i can not get it to start.:mad: it will back fire a few times i got it to start once but won't stay running . where should i start first. `i am just in a blank i cant figure it out. any suggestions

jread14
12-16-2007, 08:50 AM
If it has been a while since it has ran then you could have a gum up issue with the carb. Check that first. Your float could be stuck one way or another and not allowing enough fuel to run the bike. Give us a little more detail (weather changes since last ride, is this a rebuild, etc...) in what is going on and then we will try and help.

ICER88
12-16-2007, 10:01 AM
tempture wise it 10-15 outside and 50 in the shop. (winter)
the last time it ran was about 3 months ago. i did have troble starting then to but not this bad. i was a ble to pull start it to get it back to the truck. yes the bike has been torn down for a bout two months. but the only thing left is the motor.

jread14
12-16-2007, 05:33 PM
So... You did or did not tear into the motor? Have you taken your carb off and taken a look at the inside of the bowl? If it sits for a long time then that gas will often time get old and gum up all of your inside parts of your carb. If you have taken the motor apart then you may be out of time. I tor my YFZ down a couple of motnhs ago and I was one tooth off on the mod and it would spit and sputter and did not want to start. When it did start, it didnt want to run at all... JR

ICER88
12-17-2007, 03:17 PM
no i have not touched the motor the carb i did take the bowl off and sparyed it off with air hose and got all the old gas out be for i tryed to start it. a guy i work with told me tthe needle and seat are probily bad? but i dont know to much about carbs does that sound like that could be it?

jread14
12-17-2007, 04:25 PM
First off, you need to get rid off all of the old gas out of the tank and put fresh gas in it. Simply taking th bowl off does not do anything for you.

Then you need to pull the carb of of the bike and check your float bowl (plastic hollow floating device on the bottom of the carb). That is what is actually attached to your needle and seet. Hold the carb by the top with the bowl off, and the bowl should just hang there. Then you should be able to push up on the bowl and let go of it and it should fall quick and easy. If it does not or if you feel any resistance then your needle and seet have been gummed up.

The best thing to do is take the carb off and make sure it is completely clean. That means, taking the main and pilot jet out and blowing them out so that there is nothing in them..... At the same time do the steps above to check for the seet issue.

One last thing. Did you ever put a new plug in it? That could have foulded if you have never changed your jetting and the temperature has changed a signicant amount. The colder it gets the richer your bike gets.... Too rich could = fouled plug.....

ss440ex
12-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Jason,
Sounds like this happened to you, once!

:) :)

jread14
12-17-2007, 06:21 PM
You think....;) I got some bad race gas when we raced out at North Fourty, and then when we raced at Fletcher I forgot to shut off my gas valve and my quad was screwed all weekend. I cleaned and cleaned that dude and the only eay it would run is if we pull started it. Do you remember them pushing me at the start trying to get me started so I could race? Needless to say I will never buy race gas again from a gas station. :D

ss440ex
12-17-2007, 07:27 PM
LOL...
Yeah I was there, If I recall it was like 112 degs that day!!