PDA

View Full Version : raptor stuck in 2k rev limit in 1st

Rptr660rkills
12-15-2007, 11:40 AM
well heres the story, i have a lot of snow up here in new york, an i got my 660 stuck. so i was pushing it an had it in reverse. i got it out an when i tried to go in gear the rev limit seems to be kicking in at around 2k. i know its not the carbs because it idles smooth an has good throttle response until 2k. has anyone ever had this problem or knows how to fix it. thanks for the help

barry rose
12-15-2007, 02:48 PM
only in 1st? or all gears?

MadDog56
12-15-2007, 04:07 PM
A loose connection at the reverse sensor plug near the shift lever is a likely cause. The other possibility is that the parking brake needs adjustment.

Rptr660rkills
12-15-2007, 06:28 PM
yeh its locked in all gears. the sensor could be it. what do u mean by the sensor. where is it located. how would i go about checking/fixing the problem, maddog, has this ever happened to you? thanks

MadDog56
12-15-2007, 06:45 PM
It's happened to a high percentage of 660 riders including me.

Picture of the plug

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/Maddog56/ATV/Rev_Plug-Plugged_In.jpg

How to bypass the limiter so it won't kick in, even in reverse.

http://www.sandwizards.com/Pages/How-to/Raptor/Reverse_Rev_Limiter/Raptor-Reverse-Rev-Limiter-Disconnect.htm

Rptr660rkills
12-15-2007, 07:29 PM
is this my only option, other than buying a rev box. seems like a complicated process. idk, will the problem fix itself i wonder. thanks

MadDog56
12-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Rptr660rkills
is this my only option, other than buying a rev box. seems like a complicated process. idk, will the problem fix itself i wonder. thanks

No, it's an electrical problem; they don't magically fix themselves. Nothing in life does.

The simplest option is to inspect, clean, and if necessary repair/replace the existing connections and hope it doesn't happen again.

The other two options are buying or building your own bypass box, which still requires wiring it into the raptor's wiring harness .

What I posted is by far the cheapest and simplest method of removing the problem.

The instructions say this:

Find the wire (and they give you pictures of it)
Ground it out (and they show you where and by what means)

If you're not capable/comfortable then I'm sure you've got a friend that can do it for you. The whole process should take less than 10 minutes after you've got the connectors. If you don't solder anything, 5 minutes.

01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
the reverse sensor on my quad actually came disconnected. not the plug itself but the wire snapped. My quad wasnt revving at all it actually would just start sputtering out once it hit about 2k and my reverse light was stuck on. if your connector is corroded like mine was, cut the wire and splice in a new piece and use a blue female electrical connector. It will fit right on the reverse sensor. just trim the female connectors insulation back and insulate it well with electrical tape. it took me app. 5 mins to fix mine..... give it a shot.