PDA

View Full Version : cooling the 330

garrettagr
12-15-2007, 09:05 AM
will my stock rad cool my 330 now? or should i get a pwr or afco radiator? i am also running evans npg-r coolant so it will run somewhat warmer. thanks

RichM1983
12-15-2007, 10:27 AM
No you dont have to change from your stock radiator. I have seen many people say that the big bore cylinders run cooler than the stock cylinder with the stock radiator. So upgrading is not necessary. I would invest in a temp gauge just to keep an eye on it though.

Aceman
12-15-2007, 10:29 AM
I think 330's are borderline. You may want to run it and see where your temps are. It really depends on outside temp, your compression, how fast you ride, etc.

I just picked up an afco and it dropped my temps on average 30-40 degrees. It holds roughly 8 oz more coolant than stock now also.

brokenbones
12-15-2007, 04:14 PM
i have found if i ride mine slow in the woods or with my son at the track it will heat up to about 190 or 200 with my pwr

when i run it at the track or at the dunes semi fast i never have a problem but esr told me to run a new radiator or have my old one sent out and cleaned for best results

my 2 cents

RichM1983
12-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Ive read many posts on this very site that said that a bigger rad wasnt necessary and some of those posts were with people who had 350's

Lynch01ex
12-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Your going to want to get that afco radiator. I got a 330 motor a while back and it didnt like the stock radiator to much.

wilkin250r
12-17-2007, 01:10 AM
I've posted it a bunch of times, but I'll post it again.

Antifreeze has two major uses. The first and most obvious is protection from freezing. The second use is protection from corrosion.

The component that protects from freezing is glycol, and it is terrible for cooling. It has really lousy thermal conduction properties. If you could get rid of the glycol, you would automatically run about 7-10 degrees cooler.

But you can't run straight water, or you'll end up with corrosion issues. But if you DID run straight water, you would see a 7-10 degree drop in engine temps, until the corrosion clogged your radiator into a useless hunk of scrap metal.

This is where products like Water Wetter come in. It contains all the necessary corrosion inhibitors, without the glycol. It also contains a chemical to reduce surface tension of water, which will add another 5 degree temp drop. By getting rid of the antifreeze and replacing it with Water Wetter, you'll see on average of about 15 degree temp drop.

Of course, if your quad is exposed to freezing temperatures in the winter, you'll need to use actual antifreeze to prevent damage.

I run a stock radiator on my 340cc. I don't worry about freezing, because my garage is heated, so I run Water Wetter all year long.

Aceman
12-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Of course, if your quad is exposed to freezing temperatures in the winter, you'll need to use actual antifreeze to prevent damage.

Or Engine Ice. Good down to -26 I believe. I leave it in mine all year long with below freezing temps with no problems as of yet.

EXtreme-
12-17-2007, 05:25 PM
engine ice.....is propylene glycol which runs alot cooler than regular ethylene glycol. (don't mind my spelling if its wrong). I'm having issues with my 310 running hot with a stock rad and am in the process of changing out the fluids to the PG instead of the current EG of 50-50. I'm going to use a 40% mix on the PG which will protect me down to minus 5 and reduce the amount of glycol with 60% water instead of a 50-50 mix. I spoke with a tech about it, so I'll see any differences on the gauge for my own eyes. It's cold, icy and nasty here, no desire to even do the job :ermm:

wilkin250r
12-18-2007, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by EXtreme-
engine ice.....is propylene glycol which runs alot cooler than regular ethylene glycol.

Yes and no.

Propylene glycol transfers heat better, yes. However, it doesn't protect from freezing quite as well as ethylene glycol. Which means that in order to achieve a -10 degree temperature rating, you would need to use MORE propylene glycol.

That doesn't help us much. So even though we GAIN efficiency using a different glycol, we end up LOOSING that efficiency by the simple fact that we have to use more of it. Propylene glycol still isn't as efficient as water, so the more we use, the less efficient our overall solution will be at transferring heat.

I'll admit, I haven't done a complete in-depth analysis, but everything I've read indicates almost an equal offset. We gain 20% only to loose 20%.

EXtreme-
12-18-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm agreeing with you so far....

Like I said, I spoke with a tech from Peak about their PG products and for me to acheive the best heat transfer and still keep the antifreeze protection, I can cheat up to 60% water which will get me to minus 5 degrees below zero. Will it make a difference? I'm sure it will, but to how much I haven't learned yet.

I have family members who own and race a Sprint car on the dirt every weekend. They use good ole water to cool the 840 horsepowered beast, but it gets overhauled and drained every week and there is no corrosion to worry about. So, even the racers prefer water, but on a much higher scale.

wilkin250r
12-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Yes, it will make a difference, but I can't give you an exact figure on how MUCH difference. A few degrees maybe?

For best thermal transfer, water is best combined with something that will reduce the surface tension. This is why Water Wetter works so well. It will reduce temps by 5 degrees or so over pure water alone.

Water Wetter will even improve the efficiency of an antifreeze-system by the same method, reducing surface tension. It's compatible with ethylene or propylene glycol antifreezes.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell everybody a case of Water Wetter, because I keep talking about it. But it's the only product I know of it's kind. Reduces surface tension, and all the corrosion inhibitors necessary to completely eliminate antifreeze and glycol from your cooling system.