PDA

View Full Version : Engine's gonna be opened up

knighttime
11-02-2001, 01:04 PM
I have a 416 kit and xr camshaft being delivered next week from Markum's ATV. I want to "open up" the engine this weekend.

I have the good Honda service manual from www.helminc.com. I also have good basic tools.

Now the hard part. Do you pretty much take the top of the engine off and start pulling stuff out?

Does the cylinder sleeve pull out of the engine?

Is the camshaft easy to get to?

Do I need any special tools?

Am I nuts for tryin' this?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

barbwire44
11-02-2001, 01:10 PM
knighttime its easy pull the motor off the frame,loosen all the bolts on top of the head,leave them bolts in and pull it off set it off to the side then there are bolts recessed down in near the cam take them out and dont drop the washers and some of the washers are thicker than the others.then take out the cam chain tensioner on the lower part of the cylinder, then remove one cam bolt rotate the motor 180 and remove the other try not to drop the timing chain and sprocket then remove the cam then pull the jug off, and the sleeve will not need removed take it get bored and dont loose the spring plunger wich is a tiny pin and spring that rides under the cam. good luck!

knighttime
11-02-2001, 01:20 PM
I'm gonna go for it. I'll probably be posting some more questions during the weekend. I hope you are online during the weekend!

barbwire44
11-02-2001, 01:21 PM
all ya almost forgot you will need a torque wrench, and a set of feelers for the valves i would reset them since youre gonna have it apart anyway. And there are two small bolts on the outside of the jug that will have to come off to pull the jug. and i would tie a wire on the timing chain it just makes it easier and saves the headache of dropping it in. And you dont need to make the tool the manual shows to reinstall the chain tightener,just use a small screwdriver but make sure you get it right or youll have some serious chain slap goin on.:D

knighttime
11-02-2001, 01:29 PM
Please post anything else you can think of. Thanks again!

11-02-2001, 01:37 PM
Start off by drinkin 6 / 16 ounce budwiesers,,then start on it. This way you'll be good and loose...:D Good luck dude,,,you should be able to handle it just remember,,,DON'T get in a hurry,,,I think if ya take your time you'll knock it out with no problems...I wish I had the tools to do mine.

barbwire44
11-02-2001, 01:44 PM
hey rico i'll let ya borrow my tools, you just got return em clean, unlike my buddies who hand em to me, and i got spend an hour wipin em down.:devil

11-02-2001, 01:57 PM
Don't ya love that,,,I have to go thru my grandpa's garage and get all his old tools,,he just passed away about a year ago,,once I do that I'll have all the tools I probably will ever need,,,just a matter of gettin over there and doin it..and I want the motor built ASAP so I'm gonna have rocky ridge racing here in KY do the work probably,,pretty respectable builder,,sponsors a few pro's,,and knows how to build a 400ex to the max..

barbwire44
11-02-2001, 02:02 PM
I keep remembering more stuff dont forget the cam bearings the one on the sprocket side has a seal on 1 side it faces the cam sprocket make sure and put it on right and dont forget the two pieces of plastic that the cam chain rides against 1 has to go in first and the other should be put back in before the jug is slid into place it can be put on after but it can be tough to line up with the holes. Alrighty knighttime thats all i got anything else feel free to ask im doin another one sunday so i should have my memory fresh again.

MJNOVA
11-02-2001, 02:06 PM
Why are you taking the motor out of the frame. All the things you are doing are above the case. If your not splitting the cases yur just making alot more work for yourself.

barbwire44
11-02-2001, 02:22 PM
It only takes 15 minutes to remove it from the frame and it is a lot easier to reassemble on a bench and you dont have to worry about youre torque wrench getting to all the bolts and dont have to worry about dirt falling from the frame into youre motor. Its just alot easier and cleaner i dont like bein on my knees either and the old lift wont go over 20 inches so it maybe personal preference but i think for a guy who hasnt done it before it will be alot easier.

knighttime
11-02-2001, 02:57 PM
I think it will be much easier than leaving it in the frame. Thanks again barbwire44.

MOFO
11-02-2001, 04:22 PM
Hey Mike,

You got my cell number...think of it as 911 for this weekend. ;) Later.....

Eric

booneTRX
11-02-2001, 04:46 PM
READ THE HONDA SERVICE MANUAL!!!!!! If you need more help than that, bring it to a mechanic.

JabberJaw
11-02-2001, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
I'm gonna go for it. I'll probably be posting some more questions during the weekend.

Yeah, Like:

Why do I still have parts left over after putting everything back together?
Does anyone know where these extra parts go?
Why won't my bike start?
Whats that knocking sound?
Wonder where I left my screwdriver.
Why is my bike smoking so much now?
How much will it cost to fix the damage?
Is it fixable?
Will it ever run again?
Will I ever get to ride again?
Oh God! What have I done?
Will cussing help?
Will the pain go away?
Why did I ever start this in the first place?

Hope that helps :-)

knighttime
11-03-2001, 10:43 AM
After reading the manual last night and this morning I'm not gonna rip it out. I'm just gonna take the top off. That way I dont have to drain the oil and its just gonna be simpler.:D

stevengates45
11-03-2001, 01:58 PM
Well its always my luck that i run into problems when doing this type of stuff, if I were you I wouldnt go into the engine. But, its up to you!

knighttime
11-03-2001, 03:45 PM
Everything is going good so far, now 4 the camshaft removal.

knighttime
11-03-2001, 11:36 PM
I took a little break for some beer and wings. I'll keep ya posted. 420ex, well, it's coming soon!:cool:

knighttime
11-04-2001, 03:19 PM
The top of the engine has been completely pulled off and I'm ready to take the jug to get bored as soon as I get the new piston.

The top of the old piston and bottom of the head where the valves are is really charred. Is that normal? And how can I remove the charred part from the head?

barbwire44
11-05-2001, 04:46 AM
Hey, Kighttime use a small wire wheel, or a cup brush to remove the carbor build up from the valves, It is normal to have some build -up on there as long as its not caked on there. As for not draining the oil, man i would really consider doin that. That is another nice thing about removing the motor you can put it on its side and get all the old oil out of it. Well good luck man.:D

barbwire44
11-05-2001, 09:36 AM
hey one more thing to remember if when you get you're piston,(i take it it is JE) there will be a paper in the box that shows the bore size and the clearence make sure you give it to the guy doin the borin because the tolerance is alot tighter than the standard for most pistons it should be like 00.002 i think standard is 00.004 and most shops will just take it for granted unless you tell them you want a tighter fit.:D

knighttime
11-05-2001, 09:48 AM
Yeah I decided to save some time and leave the engine in the frame and just take the top off. I'm gonna break it in with the the oil I already have in it. It'll be ok.