PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Question

musky
12-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I just picked up a Ds 90 X as Chistmas present for my son, planning on running some XC races this year in limited mod. . We are new to racing & wondering what fuel to run, 93 oct. or 93 mixed with a race fuel.

kris32775
12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Don't waste your money just run reg gas.

musky
12-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks Kris, I thought that it may be a waste of money.The only thing that I wondered is if racing fuel would help the air cooled quads run cooler. Are busting as me to see your son on that Can Am as much as I am?

predator dad
12-15-2007, 04:40 AM
I dissagree. Since pretty much all regular gas is now that e-10 blend, I notice my son's 125 runs like crap. Especially if it sets for a week. I splurged and bought 110 octane race fuel to see if it made a difference.....It ran 100% with this fuel. To me the extra $3 a gallon was worth it. I didn't have to clean the carb after each ride...

mxdad423
12-15-2007, 12:48 PM
I agree with predator dad, you will definatley notice a differance running the race gas, we always use the VP C12, and you was thinking right, the higher octane will allow the engine to run cooler.....

etondaddy
12-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Race fuel all the way

kris32775
12-15-2007, 04:24 PM
He's only racing locally not running nationals. plus to much of a good thing will hurt the motor,i've done it on my quad. my son is going to run reg gas i bet he does ok. oh you have two smoke guys telling you to run race fuel i'd listen to them. as your son progresses you will find evey way to make the quad faster but for now no.

mxdad423
12-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Well Kris, we don't run Nationals either other than 1 or 2 a year because they are in our back yard so that has nothing to do with it. I have been involved in racing since I was 8 and other than a few stories about the oxiginated fuel I have never or have I seen anybody hurt an engine running higher octane fuel, Like I said earlier the higher octane fuel will allow the engine to run cooler and that can do nothing but help the engine run better and last a little longer. I am not saying it won't run on pump gas but if you want it to run it's best use the race gas. Just my opinion after being around for alot of years...........

musky
12-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks Everyone for the replies. Like I said we have never raced before but do have the advantage of our goog friends & neighbors the Kirklands.They have 3 kids running GNCC full time. LeeAnn was womens novice champ. & runs mixed fuel, Josh was 2nd in points in college A & runs pure race fuel ina GT Thunder built engine. Zach runs mixed in college B. They are alot of help but dont have alot of experience with the mini quads. I did wonder if race fuel would be hard on a stock 90cc engine
Thanks Again!

mxdad423
12-16-2007, 09:50 AM
No the race fuel will not hurt the stock 90 engine. You can mix the race fuel with the pump gas if you want, I think C-12 and and 93 pump gas gives you right around 99-100 octane, that will work fine......If you ever need any help or have any questions about anything you can PM me, I would be glad to help.....