PDA

View Full Version : stupid mistake...now oil leak.

fxbrry
12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
I was fixing a bent spindle and had the front end proped up on a piece of wood. When I picked up the front end and kicked the piece of wood out from under the bike it somehow lodge under the frame and when I sat the bike down the wood punctured a hole in the oil return line that runs from the bottom of the oil resevoir tank to the engine. Just my luck. Its a small pin hole and a slow drip. So I drained all the oil out of the motor and oil tank and cleaned the joint and oil line and applied some JB weld to seal up the pin hole. Will this hold and seal the leak? I hate to buy and whole new line just for a pin hole. Will the JB weld work? Im going to let it set overnight and apply another coat before work in the morning. What do you guys think.

hardtrailz400
12-14-2007, 06:00 AM
If the surface was clean the jb weld should work for a pinhole.

Good Luck

nick249420
12-17-2007, 07:03 AM
im not a big fan of JB weld
how much will the line cost you
i think replacing the line would be better in the long run

fxbrry
12-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I dont feel comfortable trusting JB weld on something like this. It could start leaking on the trail and Id never know until the motor blows. Dealer wants $62 for a new line. I bought both lines off ebay for $10. Theyre used but in good condition. Ebay is a life saver. At least this gives me a reason to change the oil and filter.