PDA

View Full Version : anyone with works steelers?

mike maddrell
12-13-2007, 06:24 PM
how do you like them vs. stock? discuss-

300exOH
12-13-2007, 10:40 PM
I had a set of them on my 300 with the old set up and they were 100x better than stock. There are much better shocks out there but for the money works are hard to beat. Basically any aftermarket shock will be a huge improvement over the stock pogo sticks.

mike maddrell
12-15-2007, 12:46 PM
well thats good to know. i just bought a set for cheap but they need a rebuild. just curious what i was in for.

do they give any more wheel travel or ground clearance?

thanks for the one reply. must not be too popular of a shock.

300exOH
12-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by mike maddrell
well thats good to know. i just bought a set for cheap but they need a rebuild. just curious what i was in for.

do they give any more wheel travel or ground clearance?

thanks for the one reply. must not be too popular of a shock.

I'm sure there is more shock travel but you probably won't see a huge gain in wheel travel. They will make better use of the available travel though. You won't gain any ground clearance unless you crank the preload up but I wouldn't recommend it. It might may the shock seem to stiff. Since you are rebuilding them anyhow I would send them to C&D, Derisi racing or GT Thunder...they will be much better shocks afterwards especially compared to the "out of the box" works shocks. Works are very popular among the rec riders but not really up to par for the hardcore racers. Still a good shock IMO. I think the main reason you haven't had many replies is because the subject has been covered many times on here.

bwamos
12-17-2007, 06:27 AM
I've been running AT-Steeler Dual Rates w/ Remoe res on the front end of my 300ex since 1999.

As said they aren't Axis, but they are good enough for what I use it for.

Night and day difference over stock.

I run a Works UltraCross in the rear. That is actually a very nice shock, IMHO.

mike maddrell
12-17-2007, 08:03 AM
alright, thanks yall. i searched but most seem to be interested in the latest and greatest. so not works. i just figured it would be better than stock for my size and type of riding.

i was just going to send them back to works, would the places you mentioned be a better choice for the rebuild?

thanks for the input here as ive never had to send shocks out before.

bwamos
12-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Send them off to DeRisi or GT Thunder, C&D, IMHO.

Works factory valving is not so good, IMHO. Which is the source of many, if not most, of the complaints. Get them revalved and they are great shocks. (FYI: PEP's are Revalved Works shocks w/ some of the internals swapped out.. ;))

Works valves for a very broad weight range and generic use. Places like DeRisi, GT Thunder, C&D, etc. valve for you specifically w/ a much tighter range. You'll be much happier w/ the money spent at one of the other places, in my opinion.

300exOH
12-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Like bwamos said ... works valving is very much "one size fits all". You will be much happier with a rebuild from the other companies. Just make sure you are very honest with the shock builder about the type of riding you do, your skill level and your weight (with gear). I have a works quadcross rear shock that is still running the factory valving and it works very well but it could be better with proper valving. It is still a very good match for my elka fronts after doing a spring swap for the elka style zero preload setup.

mike maddrell
12-17-2007, 09:58 AM
ok, excellent. just the type of info i was going for. i will look these guys up. thanks again!

tfuchs
12-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
(FYI: PEP's are Revalved Works shocks w/ some of the internals swapped out.. ;))

The only thing PEPs have in common with Works is the springs.

markvette
12-26-2007, 09:07 AM
nothing wrong with works shocks. i have steelers dual rate remote ressie on the front of my sons race 300ex. also have a quadstar rear with ressie, adjustable rebound and compression. i run 400ex a-arms without the top shock relocator bracket. works built us a front shock the length we needed so we didnt have to run the top shock mount. puts the shocks at a better angle.

bwamos
12-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by tfuchs
The only thing PEPs have in common with Works is the springs.
So PEP no longer uses the Works check-ball and orifice valving? I know they did in the past.

I'm far from a suspension expert so it's a good learning experience for myself.

tfuchs
12-26-2007, 09:55 AM
I am not 100% but have friends that know alot more about PEPS than I do and Know Wayne from PEP Personally, i can get the lowdown in a few days and let you know for sure.

bwamos
12-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks man. I am one of those folks that likes to know as much as possible about as much as possible, lol.

Suspension is one of those areas where I am seriously lacking. ;)

mike maddrell
12-27-2007, 11:27 AM
bolted up the works shocks today. havent ridden it yet but i did notice that when just pushing on the front it squeaked alot. would yall recommend greasing the bushings? i think ill try it cause its loud and i dont wanna hear that on every little bump.

i had this set rebuilt by gt thunder as you guys suggested and they had them back to me in less than two weeks. nice! cant wait to try them out.

300exOH
12-27-2007, 11:31 AM
bolted up the works shocks today. havent ridden it yet but i did notice that when just pushing on the front it squeaked alot. would yall recommend greasing the bushings? i think ill try it cause its loud and i dont wanna hear that on every little bump.

i had this set rebuilt by gt thunder as you guys suggested and they had them back to me in less than two weeks. nice! cant wait to try them out.

Usually it's just the shock bushings that squeak. Lube them with some good waterproof grease and it should quiet it down. Might want to take the time to lube your a arm bushings as well while you are there to eliminate any other possible sources of squeaks. You should be very happy with them I have heard nothing but great things about GTthunders rebuilds. They should be 10x better than off the shelf works shocks.

mike maddrell
12-27-2007, 01:01 PM
yep, grease is good. kicking myself for not doing it the first time.
they feel alot more cush just getting on, anxious to try em out!

300exOH
12-27-2007, 01:10 PM
yep, grease is good. kicking myself for not doing it the first time.
they feel alot more cush just getting on, anxious to try em out!

Haha I did the same thing when I bolted on my elkas for the first time. About a week later they started squeaking like crazy and I ended up pulling them back off to grease them. They have been great since.(and quiet...lol) Let us know how you like them after you get some ride time. They should feel very plush compared to stock 300 shocks.