PDA

View Full Version : smoking

american-muscle
12-13-2007, 04:40 PM
hey guys i just bought my new atv its an 03 warrior. all stock
i got it for 500 but it puffs white smoke when its first started. but after a little it goes away completley. any suggestions to fix this. thanx in advance

Aceman
12-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Sounds like normal condensation build up to me? Warriors are air cooled right?

american-muscle
12-13-2007, 06:59 PM
thats wat everyone tells me but it smells kinda like oil or gas. and it smokes for like 10 or 15 min before it stops.

limetimeracerII
12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
I have a 400ex that does the exact same thing. I've changed valves, valve seals, checked the guides and I can't figure it out. I would like to hear suggestions too. Hey aceman explain the condensation.

Aceman
12-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by limetimeracerII
I have a 400ex that does the exact same thing. I've changed valves, valve seals, checked the guides and I can't figure it out. I would like to hear suggestions too. Hey aceman explain the condensation.

Don't you guys ever see condensation coming out of your cars tailpipe on cold mornings? It's normal.

nick249420
12-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Don't you guys ever see condensation coming out of your cars tailpipe on cold mornings? It's normal.

X2

american-muscle
12-14-2007, 03:26 PM
yea but its really oily smelling. kinda like a 2 stroke smell

nick249420
12-14-2007, 03:49 PM
lol is it mixed gas :rolleyes:
bad plug
exhaust leak
bad gasket(s)
bad piston rings

idk but it sounds like condensation too me

american-muscle
12-14-2007, 03:52 PM
if u look in the pipe there is a little bit of oil right at the tip

Aceman
12-14-2007, 08:58 PM
You could replace your valve seals and see if that clears it up. Typically, bad valve seals will cause smoking at startup due to oil leaking down into the cylinder when the engine is shutoff. The smoking is not as noticeable when the engine has warmed up like what you describe. Pretty cheap fix also. Your quad is a few years old and if it's never been rebuilt, they're most likely shot.

Sjorge450R
12-15-2007, 03:43 PM
my 300 did that as long as i had it. Never worried about it. The white is condensation and of coarse its going to smell like oil and gas, its exhaust.....lol:p

f4istunna
12-16-2007, 04:59 PM
my gf's 400 does it. Im going to do the valves next time its apart since im sure it could use them. All in all i wouldnt worry about it much unless its using alot of oil, or starts running bad.

yfzrider45
12-20-2007, 02:19 PM
This might be a strech, but how about changing the head gasket??? My yfz was smoking and i had to change that for it too stop....

Jonny

number52
12-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Can't beleive everyone thinks this is your valve seals! Your valve seals are not setting in oil while your bike is turned off. They are about 1/4" to 1/2" above where the oil lies. Plus, it would only smoke for about 10 seconds if there was oil in the cylinder. Your problem is that the rings have worn. When the engine warms up, your rings expand and the smoking goes away.

american-muscle
12-24-2007, 06:44 PM
how much would new rings cost me

number52
12-24-2007, 07:37 PM
$30 for rings and $45 for Gasket Kit A

Aceman
12-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by number52
Plus, it would only smoke for about 10 seconds if there was oil in the cylinder. Your problem is that the rings have worn. When the engine warms up, your rings expand and the smoking goes away.

Originally posted by american-muscle
i got it for 500 but it puffs white smoke when its first started. but after a little it goes away completley.

Number52, you amaze me. Did you even read his post? You can't believe I suggested valve seals(which fits the symptoms to a T) while you suggest an expensive re-ring without even asking for a compression test? Me, I usually like to start with the cheap, simple fixes first before tearing a motor apart unnecessarily. Valve seals should be replaced when you do a topend anyhow, there's no reason he can't install them now and see if it fixes the problem.

Do you work for a dealership? I know they like to start with the expensive repairs first..........

number52
12-25-2007, 09:29 AM
just speaking from experience! Go ahead and replace the valve seals only and replace the head gasket which will cost you $16 + $20. Then, when he finds out that it didn't fix the problem he will have to buy another head gasket and be out the $30 for the rings already. And, it's going to be really hard to tell from a compression test that the rings are bad. And, the head is going to have to come off to replace the seals in order to put the valve springs back on. So I just saved him money and he's got a new set of rings too!

Thanks xtullyx16 , I was thinking of another post.

xtullyx16
12-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by number52
just speaking from experience! Go ahead and replace the valve seals only and replace the valve cover gasket which will cost you $32. Then, when he finds out that it didn't fix the problem he will have to buy another valve cover gasket and be out the $30 for the rings already. Plus, I rarely see valve seal failures in the 400ex's. And, it's going to be really hard to tell from a compression test that the rings are bad. And, the head is going to have to come off to replace the seals in order to put the valve springs back on. So I just saved him money and he's got a new set of rings too!

he has a warrior!