PDA

View Full Version : Shipping problems!!!!!!!

jrspawn
12-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Well, to start off, its just been one of those weeks:scary:

But, i had sold a set of 450r to someone online here. We agreed to 275 shipped. I let him know the day they were going out, they were being shipped via usps. Well, he got back with me the other day and informed me that there was a note on the package that said "it was damaged and repacked by the post office". In which i have No idea how that could have happened. The shocks were packed in a way that i saw no way they could have came out or even loose. He also said it looked like the shipping label was cut of and placed on the box he recieved.

The buyer contacted me today asking bassically for me to pay for half since usps lost the one shock. What would you do?

The buyer did not request or even ask for insurance, therefore the package was not insured. I told him im willing to help in any way to try to help work with usps or anyway to get his other shock, but at this time i just cant justify giving him cash for an item that was lost in shipping. I told him if there was anything wrong with the shocks or something i had control of, i would have no problem resolving the problem. Ive been burnt one too many times through dealing online though. With usps being the ones who lost it, i think they are the responcible party. I just cant justify at this time giving him cash for something that wasnt in my control, and with him still having the chance of the shock coming to him. He also asked me if it made a difference in what i would do if he said the shocks were for his sons birthday, which does make me feel bad. But i hope that wasnt a guilt trip line he used on me.

I dont know guys, what do you think? Sorry for the long post also, just had to get it off my chest. Its been a VERY VERY VERY bad and crazy week or so and this issue just didnt help with it all. But i guess thats just my luck:ermm:

Thank you
Justin

trxwannbe
12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
don't give him the money for the simple of fact of he could be playing you and even if it is gone he might get it and of course he won't tell you

and just so you know i work at ups and we ship a lot of things across the country for the usps and then deliver it to one of their buildings when a package that is a "leaker" (any type of package with an unidentifiable substance on or coming from it) comes down the conveyor belt we have to determine if the contents are dangerous and if that can't be done from the outside the box has to be cut open and unforunately with some of the losers that work for the company things tend to get "lost" when this happens

12-13-2007, 02:05 PM
I would definately not feel bad because you sent them and how do you know if he got them or not? He could just be trying to screw you. Also if he cared enough about his son he would get insurance! lol

250x_kyle
12-13-2007, 02:20 PM
its NOT your fault that USPS damaged the package he should have had you put insurance on the item if he was that worried. Id like to know how the h3// they can loose a shock in the mail. but why should you pay when its not your fault that the package was damaged. its not like you drug it down the road behind ur truck before u had them throw a sticker on it to ship it out.

quadracer707
12-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Have HIM file a claim. If UPS didn't like the way it was packaged they would have made you re do it over. The person geting item shipped to is responsible for insurance & not accepting the package if not fit. Also all packages have a minimum of $100 on all packages sent out. Now stop beating yourself up over this.

Ken

Waddell
12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Yea I would have him file a claim with usps and let them deal with it if it's a true claim.

In the future though I would ship anything large like that through ups they are a little better on packages than usps. Almost every large package (over the size of a envelope) I have gotten through usps has been tore up. Just my personal experiances.

Pappy
12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
that sucks justin.

ive been in similiar situations and i do agree, if the buyer did not offer to pay for additional insurance, and you properly packaged the parts, then he needs to be chatting with his post master.

not many even ask for insurance when i ship their parts, although i usually try and add some insurance just because of situations such as this. i used to add it to every package just for peace of mind, but since finding out that the shipping insurance only covers lost items, not damage to the finish, i let them go out without it unless paid for or requested from the other party

CDCHONDAS
12-13-2007, 07:25 PM
I had a similar thing happen the other week. I ebayed a piece of bodywork off a crotch rocket, had a little scratch that I showed in the photo and described, guy gets it and messages me saying there is major rash down the one side and its totally unusable. I looked at my pics and was like wtf so I said email me a pic of the damage and we will go from there. about 2 weeks later he gave me positive feedback with positive comment. I was like that is weird, so I dont know if he was trying to bone me or what but all of a sudden he was happy with his purchase. So I would stand against the refund, tell him to take it up with the shipper.

bspencer
12-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey guys I am the one Justin is talking about. Of those of you that think I am making it up, well I don't suppose anything I can say on here is going to change your mind. You either think people are honorable or you don't, nothing posted on a message board will change your mind.
I quoted Justin 275 shipped, he chose the method of shipping and at the time getting insurance did not occur to me nor was it offered. In the future i will be sure to get it.
I paid in a timely manner and here I am 12 days before Christmas and the present i was going to give my son is only half here.
I called Justin and asked him to split the loss with me and he said no that is was my responsibility to ask for insurance and the fact that the Post Office lost the package is solely my problem.
Now that you have heard both sides let us both know what you would do in this situation.

BTW if any of you have a nearly new single 450r shock for sale and can get it here quick i am interested.

Kickstarts-suck
12-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Have a pic of the box and "note"??

bspencer
12-13-2007, 08:37 PM
These were taken with my cell camera.

bspencer
12-13-2007, 08:39 PM
try again

bspencer
12-13-2007, 08:41 PM
number 2

Here is the note it was stamped on the box. Also note that the shipping label is upside down and torn. The box was repackaged at the sorting facility in Mephis.

WhiteYFZ
12-13-2007, 10:56 PM
i dont beleive its justin's problem. It was the shipping company who lost it. I do hear you though about it being a christmas present. i would be upset if i ordered something for my little bro or whoever and ony half was there. Since every package is automatically insured up to 100 dollars, i would try to contact ups and see what they say. It might take a while, so i would suggest to look for another shock so he can have the whole set for x mas and then hopefully you can get some money from ups.

espo

wilkin250r
12-14-2007, 12:00 AM
For those that are a bit confused. The United States Postal Service (USPS) does NOT automatically insure packages. UPS does, but USPS does not.

As for the specific topic at hand, there are always two sides to every issue, in this case there are three. Without having seen the package in person, I can't say for sure whether or not it was packages proplerly. But if it WASN'T, then UPSP shouldn't have to pay for the damages or losses.

Let's say for example, you ship a dozen glass bowl thrown into a box without any type of padding. Thet get to their destination, and they're all broken. Would the shipping company be responsible for damages? No way, it would be the shipper's fault for not packaging them properly.

RUTHLESS
12-14-2007, 01:29 AM
THIS IS WHY I NEVER SHIP ANYTHING USPS

YOUNG GUNS TAKE NOTE

bspencer
12-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Look guys
I'm not saying this is Justin's fault. I just asked him to help me eat the costs. There are two parties in this transaction and being the buyer I delivered what was asked of me $275.00. So here I am eleven days before Christmas with only one shock and the hopes of finding the original one or buying a single on are slim.

Bspencer

Velocity Girl
12-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Sorry to hear about the shock being lost...shipping problems suck and I don't trust any of them any more.

Unfortuantely without insurance I think the only recourse in this situation is to work together to make a claim (shipper will most likely have to do it).

We had some major issues with UPS about 2 years ago shipping a bike frame - they freakin' destroyed the box, dented the headtube, and then said it was due to our insufficient packaging

We had it insured, but because they said it was our fault the claim was denied. (The damage done to the frame would have had to come from some seriously mishandling). Couldn't get it overturned and the stupid MailBoxes etc place wouldn't work with us and if you go thru one of the stores, UPS won't talk to you directly - only them.

Moral of the story....when you're the shipper - have the shipping place pack it. Worth the extra few bucks in my opinion becuase then if it's damaged they can't blame you (and I was told thru the process that almost all damages are always blamed on insufficient packing).

If you're the receiver - always ask for insurance and an agreement that if something happens during transit, they will refund your money/file the claim/who gets the damaged parts, etc.. The reason for this is that the shipper has to make the insurance claim, not the receiver and they're not always speedy with their decisions.

Good luck trying to get everything figured out...hopefully USPS isn't as bad to work with as UPS!

trxwannbe
12-14-2007, 07:53 AM
velocity ups does not have any handling requirements. they do not allow special handling to be applied to a package and don't really care what us loaders do with it as long as it gets out and delivered. they will only replace or pay for items that are lost or damaged beyond recognition. i have seen my supervisor deny payment for a very large mirror that was broken during loading a few days ago and things are broken all the time so imagain all the people who get screwed. i personally take pride in handling the packages properly and getting things done the right way. if anyone on here as any issues with a ups building in connecticut let me know and i will see if i can help.

Velocity Girl
12-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Last time I checked on their site they had the requirements for packing (X inches from side of box) and that it had to withstand a 3' drop (I belive it was). So at least their site gives the impression that they have some handling requirements - but we all know internal and external "rules" can be different :)

One of the things that torqued me abotu the whole thing also is that after the "inspection" of the product it was supposedly "repacked" by UPS to be sent back. The box was ripped, internally packaging wasn't there, and it wasn't even taped shut!!!!! Thank goodness no other damage happened to it on the way back, but that could have been bad...then who would have been responsible...not them I bet ;)

I also got from the line from the MailBoxes store while trying to appeal the decision that "they didn't have time for me anymore" :grr: Trying to get information about what part was actually insufficient packaging, what they thought the packaging was (because it didn't come back with it) was like trying to herd cats. Never did get it, or the "alleged" photos that were taken :grr:

I appreciate hearing that some of you guys care about our parts being delivered as sometimes that part getting here on time and safely is the difference between being able to race/ride that weekend or sittin' on the side lines! :)

trxwannbe
12-14-2007, 08:19 AM
yeah its amazing the condition some of the boxes leave the building in. today my supervisor made me load a box that i was trying to get repackaged, it was soaked completely through from being dropped in a huge puddle under one of the trucks and had rips all over the place and i was told i could go home if i wasn't going to load it in that condition

Pappy
12-14-2007, 08:31 AM
One of the shippers lost an atv frame I shipped:eek2: It took 2 weeks for them to find it. I was told over 100,000 packages a day (could be month) are lost by each shipping company.

jrspawn
12-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
For those that are a bit confused. The United States Postal Service (USPS) does NOT automatically insure packages. UPS does, but USPS does not.

As for the specific topic at hand, there are always two sides to every issue, in this case there are three. Without having seen the package in person, I can't say for sure whether or not it was packages proplerly. But if it WASN'T, then UPSP shouldn't have to pay for the damages or losses.

Let's say for example, you ship a dozen glass bowl thrown into a box without any type of padding. Thet get to their destination, and they're all broken. Would the shipping company be responsible for damages? No way, it would be the shipper's fault for not packaging them properly.

I do Alot of buying and selling online and can assure you i pack and ship out items the way i would like to recieve it. The box that was packed and shipped by me fit the shocks perfectly, no room to move at all. On heavier items like the shocks i take extra cardboard and line the whole box, then the shocks are completely wrapped with packing/paper. then finally the bottom and sides are packed with packing/paper and bubble sheets, shocks items are placed in, then packing on top to secure everything. This is still why i cant believe this all happened, there should have been NO way the shock could have came out on its own.

I also normally ship everything through USPS and never really ahd an issue. Ive had problems in the past with UPS though(reason for choosing usps for shipping).

bspencer, please PM or mail me all the info on the package you recieved. Without having the info/numbers they are unable to tell me anything on it apperently.

Thank you
Justin

Velocity Girl
12-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by trxwannbe
yeah its amazing the condition some of the boxes leave the building in. today my supervisor made me load a box that i was trying to get repackaged, it was soaked completely through from being dropped in a huge puddle under one of the trucks and had rips all over the place and i was told i could go home if i wasn't going to load it in that condition

That's nuts that we're paying for that type of "service" from a company. I can understand wanting to be effiecient and save money - but when did integrity and common courtsey leave business?

I guess the bottom line is that they don't care if they loose a customers business. I swore off using UPS whenever possible after they lost 3 (maybe 4 - tryting to forget) packages coming and going from us within about a month. One favorite was delivering a package to a random unit in a strip mall because they didn't have the suite number (of teh UPS store ..lol), the kicker though was losing the closing paperwork on our house that was overnighted. I was lied to repeatedly thru that incident from various reps saying they were calling the shipping centers, others saying that there was no way they could have called a shipping center, and then a "promise" that I would be called back at the end of the day with infromation either way on the package - NOTHING. And they didn't care one bit that they cost us $ because we couldn't close on our house when we were supposed to :grr:

ok sorry...UPS rant over ;)