PDA

View Full Version : Quick Meteorology Question....

JRP
12-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Well we watched The Day After Tomorrow yesterday in our class and we have to write about what the atmosphere woul dhave to be like today to have those situations. 5 tornadoes back to back in LA, huge tsunamis in NY, -150 temps in a split second, and like 15ft of snow. can anyone help me out? Thanks

Robin Hood
12-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Go out and buy "An inconvenient truth." It's that DVD made by Al Gore about global warming and junk. I watched it like a year back and it's got some good info that's right up your alley.

Scro
12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Hell just blame it on global warming:blah: I guess some of it could be possible, but I don't see the temp dropping 150 degrees in a few seconds and buildings turning to ice sculptures.:ermm:

If I watched the movie I could probably give you a serious answer, but it's been a while.

Ghost-Rider
12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I think the polar ice caps would have to melt, it like no time.

Scro
12-13-2007, 02:04 PM
I think it's Jupiter that has the atmosphere that is one big storm. Not like the red spot, but the entire surface is continually producing tornadoes and lightning. You might could use that as a comparison between the two planets.

You could also say something about the upper-level jet streams changing drastically or increasing. In a nutshell, those jet streams control the movement of the fronts, and can increase the intensity of a rotating storm. If the change was drastic enough, the potential for tornadoes in areas that don't normally see them could increase.

Western Europe gets most of its "heat" from the currents in the ocean bringing warm water from the equator. Theoretically, if the Earth stopped spinning, all the currents in the world would seize to exist, which would throw places like Western Europe into an Ice Age. It is believed that this could even happen during La Nina and El Nino, when the currents are all screwed up. That could be a possible scenario for snow and temperature drop, but it would happen gradually - not instantly.

GPracer2500
12-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by JRP
Well we watched The Day After Tomorrow yesterday in our class and we have to write about what the atmosphere woul dhave to be like today to have those situations. 5 tornadoes back to back in LA, huge tsunamis in NY, -150 temps in a split second, and like 15ft of snow. can anyone help me out? Thanks

Was this in a science class?!?!

:ermm:

JRP
12-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Was this in a science class?!?!

:ermm:

lol Earth Science 2 class. a BS class i took to fill up my schedule to graduate.

GPracer2500
12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm amazed that a teacher would use a movie such as The Day After Tomorrow as an appropriate launching pad for serious discussion about climatology. And to actually spend classroom time watching it? No wonder our educational system is in the tank.

Just goes to show how the media's sensationalism of global warming issues has infected society, I guess.

JRP
12-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I'm amazed that a teacher would use a movie such as The Day After Tomorrow as an appropriate launching pad for serious discussion about climatology. And to actually spend classroom time watching it? No wonder our educational system is in the tank.

Just goes to show how the media's sensationalism of global warming issues has infected society, I guess.

she explained to us that this could never happen and she wants us to find out that if it did happen, what would of had to happen to our atmosphere to cause it. Thats the main question Im asking.
Thanks for all the replys so far!

Scott-300ex
12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
It would have to hit absolute zero for that to happen and everything freeze.

killerofcrows48
12-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Wow. I just watched that movie in Meteorology. That's really weird, lol. The only thing i could think of would maybe be the ozone layer completely diminishing, or, maybe multiple volcanic eruptions to block off the sun's light. Even then though I don't think it would cause the world to freeze. The whole thing is kind of freaky to talk/think about!

Quad18star
12-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by killerofcrows48
Wow. I just watched that movie in Meteorology. That's really weird, lol. The only thing i could think of would maybe be the ozone layer completely diminishing, or, maybe multiple volcanic eruptions to block off the sun's light. Even then though I don't think it would cause the world to freeze. The whole thing is kind of freaky to talk/think about!

Just think when Mt St-Helen blew .... the summer was crappy because of all the ash/dust in the air.

If we were to have multiple volcanoes erupt , the ash and dust in the air would completly block out the sunlight .... thus we'd have another ice age. Meteor impacts can have the same effect.

I just my geology courses in college are paying off.... I remembered this stuff. ;)