PDA

View Full Version : Custom Winch install on my 08

08400EX
12-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Just got finished with my winch install. The places I ride a winch is almost a must, if not for me then usually for someone that is riding with us.

I wasn't happy with any of the winch mounts available so I did it my way.

Using the Pro Armor Bumper as a base I fabricated my own winch plate and welded it to the inside of the bumper. Then cut an oval hole to match the delrin fairlead mounted on the backside.

I am very happy with the results and thought I would share for other trail riders that may want to tackle this in the future.

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG1989a.JPG

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG1990a.JPG

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG1991a.JPG

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG1992a.JPG

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG1993a.JPG

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG1994a.JPG

dustin_j
12-13-2007, 01:08 PM
That looks clean; I think you're ready for the trails. I wonder if the hook bangs around a lot, but if it gets used you probably won't care.

08400EX
12-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
That looks clean; I think you're ready for the trails. I wonder if the hook bangs around a lot, but if it gets used you probably won't care.

Thanks!

Hook is pulled tight by the winch and doesn't move or bang.

dustin_j
12-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Good point. That's a sweet quad, now go get it stuck and see how it works! :D

08400EX
12-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
Good point. That's a sweet quad, now go get it stuck and see how it works! :D

I will use it mostly to pull out stuck Yamahas and Suzukis ..:devil:

Hondamaster5505
12-13-2007, 01:59 PM
It looks so clean and well-done with it coming out that oval!

Honda#4
12-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Looks like it came from the factory like that, great job!!

08400EX
12-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Hondamaster5505, Honda#4,

Thanks!!

zdowell
12-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Holy ****, that is a clean install. Dont think pro armor had that for their product. Id like to see it in action! get a video!

underpowered
12-13-2007, 05:16 PM
very nice, very clean install. looks very professional the way it is done.

NacsMXer
12-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
very nice, very clean install. looks very professional the way it is done.

I agree! That's some good innovation right there. Nice sano install, I like how it's not obtrusive despite the winch's size. It's becoming quite the nice quad for a stocker I must say :p

honda300EXtreme
12-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX
I will use it mostly to pull out stuck Yamahas and Suzukis ..:devil:

lol,,, haha

very good job on the install,,,, it looks like it came like that

X400EX
12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Nice, so clean!

mattn03
12-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Very nice install!

JOEX
12-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I agree! That's some good innovation right there. Nice sano install, I like how it's not obtrusive despite the winch's size. It's becoming quite the nice quad for a stocker I must say :p
Agreeing with the agreement:p :D

Wonder if this will show up the the 2009 Pro Armor line up:chinese:

08400EX
12-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Agreeing with the agreement:p :D

Wonder if this will show up the the 2009 Pro Armor line up:chinese:

Thanks again to everyone, your comments make all the cuts and burns feel better tonight :-)

Concerning Pro Armor, I was told the pics are already being passed around their office. So far they approve of the "mods" I made to their bumper.

chris46250r
12-13-2007, 09:36 PM
That looks good man. That gives me a few ideas for this V-Force I got. That mother is HEAVY if you gotta get off and man handle it.

Ridiculous
12-13-2007, 10:54 PM
that looks sweet man, i always hated winches on the sport quads but that is so clean and it keeps that sport appearance.

two thumbs up to you!

btw, you better get a patent before a rep from pro armor sees that!!!

scruff_mcruff
12-14-2007, 01:24 AM
looks good. all id change is to add some car door trim from pep boys around the edges so the line dosnt snag on the opening and cut the line or bend the bumper up.

08400EX
12-14-2007, 05:06 AM
No worries about snags, there is a delrin fairlead behind the aluminum and the aluminum is also rounded. AmSteel recommends an aluminum fairlead for their synthetic rope anyway so I am covered both ways. I have been using winches like this for years with no issues.

I do need to sand the aluminum just a little smoother than it is now to be extra safe.

Look closely at this pic and you can see the delrin fairlead better. The fairleads "opening" is smaller than the aluminum opening by about 3/8" to 1/2". The rope feeds thru nicely even while under pressure at extreme angles.

08400EX
12-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Ridiculous
that looks sweet man, i always hated winches on the sport quads but that is so clean and it keeps that sport appearance.

two thumbs up to you!

btw, you better get a patent before a rep from pro armor sees that!!!

Thanks! Yeah one of my primary concerns was to make it as stealthy as possible without sacrificing any functionality.

Too funny about the patent, I'll be happy if Pro Armor will still take my calls after the "hack job" I did on their bumper. J/K :-)

vett_09
12-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Nice install!
And I think everyone is so impressed with your mod to the Pro Armor bumper, no one said anything about where you mounted your controls. It looks like they have good placement as well. They seem to be out of the way, but easy to reach.

f150mann
12-14-2007, 02:44 PM
have you tried it yet? it looks awesome but if you need to hook onto a tree thats at a high up angle or such, wont the winch cable be rubbing excessively hard against the bumper?

honda8&3
12-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Nice job dude. Very clean looks like you didn't even have to fabricate anything. Very professional looking. Great job!

08400EX
12-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by f150mann
have you tried it yet? it looks awesome but if you need to hook onto a tree thats at a high up angle or such, wont the winch cable be rubbing excessively hard against the bumper?

Yes I have tried it at various angles and it works perfectly.

If I were using steel cable it would be an issue against the aluminum bumper, but since I am using the AmSteel Synthetic rope it is not an issue. I have been using AmSteel ropes in my winches for years. If you have never used those before it is hard to explain, the stuff is amazing. It is as soft as silk yet you can barely cut it with a knife. Neat stuff.

Originally posted by honda8&3
Nice job dude. Very clean looks like you didn't even have to fabricate anything. Very professional looking. Great job!

Thanks!

After putting a lot of thought into it I didn't really have to fab much at all. I had to notch out the lower left bumper arm a little to clear the free spool lever. Then I fabbed a 4" x 6.675" 1/4" thick 6061 aluminum plate with notches to clear the frame uprights (at the front upper a-arm mounts). Then drill the holes for the winch mount and billet frame tube clamps at the rear of the plate. Once I was happy with the plate design I TIG welded it at the perfect angle to the inside of the bumper. At first glance the plate looks like it came with the bumper. The only giveaway is my welds are not quite as good as Pro Armor's, those guys are good!!

After that I cut down a Delrin Fairlead with steel backing plate to mount on the backside of the front plate of the bumper. Then I cut out the oval hole in the front and mounted the fairlead.

Actually running the wiring and cutting everything to fit perfectly with the factory harness and doing the terminals took longer than anything. Luckily there was a perfect factory location for the winch solenoid unit under the hood that makes it look just like one of the other factory boxes under there. I also made a quick disconnect for the power leads to the winch under the hood along with the reusable Honda cable ties so I can remove the winch completely along with the bumper in seconds if I need to.

12-15-2007, 09:06 AM
I really like your quad and all and for serious trails that winch would be nice but may I ask why didnt you get another utility? lol

08400EX
12-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by RoadRidin450r
I really like your quad and all and for serious trails that winch would be nice but may I ask why didnt you get another utility? lol

Thanks!!

IMHO, I have learned over the years that a utility quad is just that, a tool for work, etc. A Sport quad is for sport and fun, in my case trail riding. My wannabe racer days were over long, long ago, but I still like to ride fast in the woods etc..

For me, jumping and running a 700lb utility quad fast on the trails gets old quickly. As a long time dirt bike rider I wanted something more like a dirt bike, hence a sport quad. Also one of my all time favorite dirt bikes over the years was a few XR400Rs I owned, hence the 400EX.

However, I am also one of those people that also likes to be prepared for anything and many places we ride the rock boulders cliffs etc are so steep not eveyone can get over them, even Utes, hence the winch. Also there is an occasional mud hole that is deeper than it appears, but I am not a mudder and avoid those when I can. But some I ride with do not. Regardless, I prefer to winch myself or anyone else that needs it up something that can't be ridden up/over instead of turning around or trying to lift and carry a 400lb (or more) quad up a mountain or out of a deep mudhole. As a long time off roader (Jeeps etc.) there is no loss of honor when you have to winch over or out something, it just means you have the balls (and the equipment) to go where most wouldn't even try :-)

Here is the beast I used to trail ride with last year, 07 Foreman with Power Steering. My 80+ year old Dad just bought it from me to use on his property, he loves it!! :-) Going from this to a 400Ex is like going from a 4WD full size pickup to a racing rail buggy :-)

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG1756sm.jpg

Ruby Soho
12-15-2007, 09:43 AM
the only problem i see is if you hit a tree hard enough, that poor winch is gonna get smushed:scary:

08400EX
12-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
the only problem i see is if you hit a tree hard enough, that poor winch is gonna get smushed:scary:

If I hit one that hard I will be more concerned about my body parts than the winch :-)

Besides, just like bumpers they make new winches everyday :-)

08400EX
12-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Wanted to give a public Thank You to Amy at Pro Armor.

After she saw the pics of my winch install she asked for my address to send me some "stuff".

I just got a package today with all sorts of cool Pro Armor goodies.... and NO, they didn't send me a replacement bumper :devil:

Thanks AMY and Pro Armor!!

mattn03
12-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Very cool. Nice CS from Pro Armor too.

ridered92
12-18-2007, 11:51 AM
great idea i told my brother i was going to do that this summer and he said it will look stupid then i showed him yours haha does it weigh down the front at all?

08400EX
12-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ridered92
great idea i told my brother i was going to do that this summer and he said it will look stupid then i showed him yours haha does it weigh down the front at all?

Thanks!

Too funny, I actually cable tied the winch in place and rode it around a few days before proceding with the install. I couldn't tell and difference then. Now that it is done I still can't tell any difference in the front weight at all, I still have the same problem as before....trying to keep the front end DOWN :-)

Since it is mounted so low there is no way it will effect handling.

Also in reality it is not near as bad as adding aftermarket front tires/wheels that add 6-8lbs(or more) of UNSPRUNG weight to the front.

It will be interesting to see how the front feels once I but some Razrs and Hipers on it, but I am not worried it will be fine.

JOEX
12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Wanted to give a public Thank You to Amy at Pro Armor.

After she saw the pics of my winch install she asked for my address to send me some "stuff".

I just got a package today with all sorts of cool Pro Armor goodies.... and NO, they didn't send me a replacement bumper :devil:

Thanks AMY and Pro Armor!!
Nice!:cool:

Hondamaster5505
12-18-2007, 04:16 PM
You lucky S.O.A.B!

Lmao, what kinda stuff they give you?

Nerfs?

Im gonna buy a product and do something custom to show them so i get some goodies

:devil:

nick249420
12-18-2007, 04:44 PM
take it to a MX track and let us know how much that winch effects you
or atleast get some air

08400EX
12-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
You lucky S.O.A.B!

Lmao, what kinda stuff they give you?

Nerfs?

Im gonna buy a product and do something custom to show them so i get some goodies

Well, lets see... they sent me a new set of their prototype MEGA RACE PRO Nerfs made out of Titianium, a matching set of Billet Titanium Shift and Brake Pedals,... and a set of UNOBTAINUM BALLS to use when I go over those big MX jumps with the winch .... :-)

NOT !!!! :devil:

nick249420
12-18-2007, 07:12 PM
no i was being serious i was wondering how bad the nose drops with that thing bc ive been thinkin about putting a winch on mine but i dont want to be effected when i jump my quad

08400EX
12-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by nick249420
no i was being serious i was wondering how bad the nose drops with that thing bc ive been thinkin about putting a winch on mine but i dont want to be effected when i jump my quad

Sorry, I thought you were joking around with me.

Seriously I don't claim to be an expert, but I have been riding bikes for a few decades and I can't tell the difference. It only weighs 8lbs or so with the synthetic rope and any competent rider could shift their weight backwards 1/4"(or less) to make up that small of a difference.. if it was needed.

In reality I don't think it would feel different than switching to a new or different quad, you would get used to the slight difference in balance within minutes.

I have ridden my 08 and the 05 back to back on my 9 acre "test track" and I can't tell any difference in that regard, actually my 08 feels smoother and more balanced, but it is new and should feel a little better.

ridered92
12-18-2007, 07:31 PM
what did pro armor give you?

08400EX
12-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh, I am also going to ride on the Hatfield McCoy Trails in WV this weekend. I will be riding the same trails I rode with the 05 on Thanksgiving weekend so I will have a full weekend to compare it on a lot of different terrain (including LOTS of air :-) that is still fresh in my mind. I will try to remember to give you more feedback concerning this when I get back after Christmas.

08400EX
12-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by ridered92
what did pro armor give you?

You don't want me to "kiss and tell" in public do you ?? :-)

Lets say it was more than decals (I did get a bunch of those) and certainly less than nerfs, but all the stuff I got was a nice gesture that was very much appreciated.

Just like Christmas presents it's the thought that counts, right?

However, if my wife hadn't gotten me my 08 for Christmas (early) I would have been PISSED ... Just kidding :-)

ridered92
12-18-2007, 08:47 PM
lol now im am really wondering:confused:

nick249420
12-18-2007, 08:50 PM
ya i wasnt joking lol
sounds good i might be putting a winch on mine ...
not sure ill wait to here the feed back after you hit the trails

08400EX
12-18-2007, 09:00 PM
ya i wasnt joking lol
sounds good i might be putting a winch on mine ...
not sure ill wait to here the feed back after you hit the trails

One of the good things about the way I did mine, with the quick disconnect I can remove it in literally a minute if I want to run with out it.

If you ride in places where you need a winch, or even if you want to be the "hero" when someone else does .. I think you will like the positives much more than the slight, if any negatives.

If you need any advice or measurments from mine don't hesitate to ask.

JOEX
12-18-2007, 09:01 PM
You don't want me to "kiss and tell" in public do you ?? :-)

Lets say it was more than decals (I did get a bunch of those) and certainly less than nerfs, but all the stuff I got was a nice gesture that was very much appreciated.

Just like Christmas presents it's the thought that counts, right?

However, if my wife hadn't gotten me my 08 for Christmas (early) I would have been PISSED ... Just kidding :-)
Soooo.... you kissed Amy at Pro Armor:eek: It's OK, your secret is safe with me:chinese: :p

J/K:devil:

Anyway... I think it's great when a MFG recognizes an improvement or adaptaion of it's product:macho :)

08400EX
12-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Soooo.... you kissed Amy at Pro Armor:eek: It's OK, your secret is safe with me:chinese: :p

J/K:devil:

Well to be honest the first thing she told me the last time we talked was and I quote "You are awesome!"

Anyway... I think it's great when a MFG recognizes an improvement or adaptaion of it's product:macho :)

I agree 100% !! It always makes it a lot more fun when Vendors/MFGs are as excited about quads as we are!

nick249420
12-19-2007, 06:42 AM
i dont ant to steal your exact idea so im looking at different bumpers to use when and if i decide to put a winch on it
if i do i would like to know about that quick disconnect

maxfior
12-19-2007, 07:28 AM

I have ridden my 08 and the 05 back to back on my 9 acre "test track"

9 Acre test track, NICE! Do you have any pictures or video of it? I'm always looking for ideas with mine, building jumps, hills, technicial areas, any info on what you've got going would be great!

Max

08400EX
12-19-2007, 07:47 AM
It's not that big of a deal, just some trails I cut thru the woods on my property. Does have lots of hills and a few creek/mud crossings, more like a mini GNCC course. Still "green" and needs to be "roosted" a little more before it really gets to be fun :-)

I live pretty close to the Steele Creek GNCC course,(except much higher up in elevation) so the terrain is similar.

maxfior
12-19-2007, 07:50 AM
It's not that big of a deal, just some trails I cut thru the woods on my property. Does have lots of hills and a few creek/mud crossings, more like a mini GNCC course. Still "green" and needs to be "roosted" a little more before it really gets to be fun :-)

That's awesome... growing up as a kid we had some real nice trail systems laidout. But now I live in farm country, so, less woos... err, NO woods. Which sux. Looks like I'm stuck to my moto-track. Oh well! Maybe I can find someone that has a few loads of dirt they can drop off, then I can make some mini-hill climbs :(

Max

08400EX
12-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Here is the best I can do for pics... an aerial photo.

The red outline is my property(9-10 acres). The yellow outline is property of friendly neighbors that let me ride there and all the way to the river(75ish acres) . Looks flat but far from it!

The Pink outline is grumpy neighbor where I can't ride, too bad because the upper light area in there is a large 4-5 acre flat field perfect to make a small MX track.

08400EX
12-19-2007, 09:46 AM
i dont ant to steal your exact idea so im looking at different bumpers to use when and if i decide to put a winch on it
if i do i would like to know about that quick disconnect

No worries about "stealing" my idea, sharing information and ideas is what makes forums like this so great.

I recently designed a simple flat plate rear winch mount for the Foreman/Rubicons that was a simple bolt on with no mods and happily shared all details and dimensional drawings with anyone interested.

I design/FAB/sell High Performance stuff for a specific sports car for a living. Doing stuff like this for MC/ATVs is purely fun and I am always happy to share as well as learn on forums like this.

BTW, in case you haven't seen it, Warn makes a simple winch mount for the 400EX. I think it is around $30-40. Part# is 72570 and also fits the 450R. Here is a photo for you.

http://www.warn.com/atv/mounting-sytems/images/294/400EX1.jpg

ridered92
12-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by maxfior
That's awesome... growing up as a kid we had some real nice trail systems laidout. But now I live in farm country, so, less woos... err, NO woods. Which sux. Looks like I'm stuck to my moto-track. Oh well! Maybe I can find someone that has a few loads of dirt they can drop off, then I can make some mini-hill climbs :(

Max

i never have to worry about no woods i live in maine!!:p but now i live in the city so i dont get to ride everyday but my whole family rides we use to go every other weekend but i get my licence in july so riding every weekend

08400EX
12-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Oh, I am also going to ride on the Hatfield McCoy Trails in WV this weekend. I will be riding the same trails I rode with the 05 on Thanksgiving weekend so I will have a full weekend to compare it on a lot of different terrain (including LOTS of air :-) that is still fresh in my mind. I will try to remember to give you more feedback concerning this when I get back after Christmas.

nick249420,

Got back from the weekend ride trip at Little Coal in WV. I am happy to report I never knew the winch was there and my 08 felt very balanced. I can't say it rode the same as my 05, it was a million times better, partly due to being new and partly due to installing my 450R front shocks before the trip. MAN,those things made the front feel like it was on a smooth road in some places as compared to stock.

Oh, as I said above I totally forgot about the winch... UNTIL I misjudged a mud hole! I came upon a 25 foot diameter water/mud hole and decided to take a path around it... didn't notice it was "peanut butter" until it was too late. Tried reverse to back out and it mired even farther. Started to cuss and yell for my wife to come help me and I remembered the winch. Got off spooled it out to a tree 20 feet away, got back on and winched myself right out of the hole. Too funny that I had to use it on the first ride trip!

Heading back out later in the week for a 4 day trip to Gilbert/Man WV, will give more feedback after that trip.

Here are a few pics, obviously my 08 is not new anymore :-)

08400EX
12-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Trail pic from trip..

derrickwade
03-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Is there a way to rig this up on a 4 wheeler without a battery? Perhaps a 2004 450r kicker?

400exrider99
08-15-2008, 11:34 AM
fantastic and very clean install. great job

scuzz
01-02-2009, 12:06 PM
That's so cool that your wife goes riding with you.

08400EX
01-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by scuzz
That's so cool that your wife goes riding with you.

It does make life a lot of fun when your wife shares your fun hobbies! She is definitely a keeper!

Here is a pic of her at a local "watering hole" in Beartown, WV. We put in 88 miles on the trails that particular day during our July 4th riding Holiday.

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG2538c.JPG

sprayedgt
01-03-2009, 12:28 PM
That's cool that there's a place to clean off your ride on the trail;)

08400EX
01-03-2009, 12:43 PM
It was an amazing natural spring coming out of the side of the mountain. The water flow was incredible coming out of that thing. The locals use it to fill up their huge water tanks to take back up to their homes since wells were basically non-existant on the tops of the mountains.

It did make for a great ATV wash :-)

Fun trip!

sprayedgt
01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Is that Hatfield McCoy?

rodeo#11
01-03-2009, 12:54 PM
hey 08400ex what part of west nc do you live in??? just curious, i live up in avery. Was wondering if you go to brushy mtn and brown mtn riding??

08400EX
01-03-2009, 12:56 PM
That location is North of Crumpler between Stair Step/ Wagon Wheel and Beartown.

It's near Indian Ridge HMT, but we have learned the local trails are a lot more fun than the actual HMT trails

08400EX
01-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by rodeo#11
hey 08400ex what part of west nc do you live in??? just curious, i live up in avery. Was wondering if you go to brushy mtn and brown mtn riding??

We are neigbors, I am in Mitchell right at the Avery line.

Been going to Brown Mt for over 30 years, hate Brushy, way to "structured" for me.

For a short trip and a quick "fix"we will also hit Callantee ATV over in Mountain City. Fun place and very "loose".

sprayedgt
01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I need to get to Hatfield someday. We made the mistake of going to Coal Creek in TN and what a mistake it was. I never thought I would ever be driving on so many gravel roads. Such a waste of a atv'ing trip.

rodeo#11
01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
We are neigbors, I am in Mitchell right at the Avery line. Been going to Brown Mt for over 30 years, hate Brushy, way to "structured" for me.

dang we are close then i live on the avery, mitchell line to. Im down in spruce pine every day visiting the gf lol and i hear ya bout brushy man that place is crazy, they said nc passed a law saying if ya was born after jan, 1 1990 you have to take a atv training course to ride on their trails...ive been riding since i could walk and im 19 now some how i think ill be ok on their EXTREME trails there lol

Brauap
01-03-2009, 05:34 PM
It does make life a lot of fun when your wife shares your fun hobbies! She is definitely a keeper!

Here is a pic of her at a local "watering hole" in Beartown, WV. We put in 88 miles on the trails that particular day during our July 4th riding Holiday.

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG2538c.JPG

YOU'RE BACK!!!! :D

What happend? Why havn't you been on for so long, 08?

Ba9801
06-23-2009, 07:04 AM
That is by far the nicest winch mount set up I have seen. I just ordered a winch for mine with the Warn winch mount. I was hoping to do something custom as well. Right now I only have the stock front bumper so I am looking for options. Yours fits and looks so well I may just get the same one you are using. I have a Tig welder as well so fabing a mount up to fit should not be to tough. I would be interested in seeing how you have the quick disconnect, maybe some pics of the assembly off the bike.

Great work!!
:)
I also really like the other great mods you have done to the bike. The reverse lever looks stock. Did you ever find a factory style cable that fit the setup?

jrafter
06-23-2009, 08:15 AM
why if it never see the mud.

its nice but whats the point

never mind i didnt relize how old this tread was.

im sure its seen some mud

08400EX
06-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by jrafter
why if it never see the mud.

its nice but whats the point

It's just for looks, you can tell from the pic 3 posts up^ that it never gets in the mud. :-)

Seriously, I have used it to winch over boulders more than I have getting out of mudholes.

UnderFire
06-23-2009, 03:35 PM
looks nice, i would've gone with a 2500lb winch though.

jrafter
06-23-2009, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UnderFire
looks nice, i would've gone with a 2500lb winch though. [/QUOTE

West virginia and rocks kinda go together

honda400ex2003
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
very sweet. looks good. steve

BEAVER.989
06-24-2009, 12:31 PM
The thought of putting a winch on a sport quad used to send shivers down my spine. It just seemed out of place. But, I have to admit it... That looks very nice.

z400mayhem
08-05-2009, 06:55 PM
very nice ! does the tachometer actually work, and measure the correct rpms?

08400EX
08-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exmayhem
very nice ! does the tachometer actually work, and measure the correct rpms?

Yes and very responsive.

marineco
12-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Hey where did you put the contactor? I bought a Viper to replace my old winch, (IMO they got better reviews than warn) that being said, I don't know the size of the warn contactor, but mine seems large, and having trouble figuring a good location for it. The best plan I have so far is on the inboard side of the storage box.

Edit: to avoid answers of "put it where the old one was" I can't do that. Much too large. Also, learn from my stupidity, the master lock winch at walmart says it is for an ATV, but only has a hardwired remote switch, no handlebar switch, and a tiny contactor that dies. The winch itself however still seems fine, and I think I saw steel gears. (and yes, I already know, the walmart part should have been my first indicator of bad idea)