PDA

View Full Version : breaking in is it the right way?

300exguy125
12-13-2007, 04:34 AM
www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
makes plenty of sense but do you agree ?

300ex mxracer
12-14-2007, 12:33 PM
thats how i did my 300 and she ran like a champ

nick249420
12-14-2007, 01:21 PM
RUN IT HARD?????

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i did that with my 2003 400ex it doesnt run anymore...
i was told the same thing
i had my 2004 400ex completely rebuilt and i was easy on it for 10 hrs it has so much power and not a thing wrong with it

if you want to follow that ...do it no one can change your mind ill stick with being easy on it

400exrider707
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
It doesn't say run it hard, it says load the motor, and it makes perfect sense. I break all my motors in this way.

Back in the day, my father used to race snowmobiles on professional level in cross country races. When they broke in a new motor on the sled they would take it out on a lake, start it up and run it wide open for as long as they could in one straight line. The theory behind this was that as your piston is moving up and down the faster it goes, the farther up and down in the cylinder it actually moves, granted we're talking about tens of thousands of an inch... if that... but if you ran it that way on break in you wouldn't have to worry about it not running to that maximum later on in life. Though this method makes sense mechanically speaking, I still dont know if I believe it fully, but I do believe in the mototune break in method, and will continue to do so.

My guess if you broke your motor in that way and had failure, you did something wrong. If a motor is going to "fail" it will usually do so in the first few minutes.

nick249420
12-14-2007, 03:46 PM
it does say run it hard

What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??
The Short Answer: Run it Hard !

idk about that one like if you had your cylider bored there would still be metal shavings in the motor so run it easy change the oil the run it hard ( so ive been told by multiple machine shops, machanics, riders)

ohsobad_chevy
12-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
....... If a motor is going to "fail" it will usually do so in the first few minutes.

Yes sir. :)