PDA

View Full Version : going to buy an outlaw,few ques?

brian355ny
12-12-2007, 09:25 PM
hey guys i plan on buying an 08 outlaw,but i'm not sure what to get the 525s or the irs, i live in northern west virgina and will be fast trail riding and i would like to enter a few woods races next spring, i'm just wondering what the irs is like on a sport quad,is it easy to jump? and steep hills, the one that is the better climber is the one i will most likey get,i read that the fox shocks on the 525s are better than the irs shocks and i really would like to use stock sus setup. let me know what you think,irs compared to swing axle. thanks for your time Brian

Ogener
12-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Riding my friends 07 outlaw irs I like it alot. It takes off well and handles well. I think it jumps well aslo. It does very well in the trails in our area.

willb
12-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey Brian

You must be worried about those killer powerline hills in Wellsville since you are from Wierton.

I had the same issues as you. I went with the IRS. I believe the shocks on the s just have rezzies vs the irs. I know the 450 has fox rezzies not sure about the 525.

We ride similar trails and I know that I will be happy not getting hung up on the ruts with irs. Even with my scrammy some of the hills I would kick the 4 wheel in because my swinger got lifted by the ruts or rocks.

The irs is gonna let me pick a line and not worry about crossing over for an obstacle.:macho

smokinwrench
12-12-2007, 09:49 PM
I went from a 05 troy predator to the 07 525. I have ridden all of the 450's except the kawi and the newest 08 model 450's and the troy lee predator is by far the smoothest nicest riding machine of all of them.

The 525 IRS blows all of them aways by far. I can ride much longer and harder then I ever could before. It can be raced 100% stock with great results. Jumping is the best even when you screw up a jump and land nasty the IRS soaks up the landing perfectly.

here is a link to a few jump pictures.

http://quadsbeer.proboards79.com/index.cgi?board=riding&action=display&thread=1188848919

Evasiveone
12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
The '08 525 IRS and 525S both come with the Fox shocks up front. The 450MXR comes with the Fox shocks w/rezzies up front. The 525S has a Fox shock in back and the 525 IRS comes with the Ryde FX aluminum shocks in back.

If you are basing your decision off of the best climbing machine on rough trails you will like the IRS the best. Hit a bump on a SRA machine and both tires come off the ground, hit a bump with an IRS machine and just the tire that hit the bump is moving, the other tires is still putting down traction getting you up the hill. Plus you can pick your own line not draging your skid plate up the hill.

eerhard09
12-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I had never been on an IRS atv before in my life and was coming from a Z400 with full Elka's all the way around. I took the chance and plunked down the deposit for the 525 IRS before they came out and got the first one to show up at my dealer (except for John Gallagher Sr's 525's). I was concerned but took the advice of guys on here and on predatorowners.com and never looked back. I like the IRS so much better than the ride on my Z even with the elkas customized for me. I can definitely ride much longer and harder on the Outlaw than on my Z and can hit the lines want, not the ones the ruts dictate. It took me a while, out riding rutted up trails, to get out of the "avoid the ruts" mentality. Once I did, I realized that less effort got me through the trails faster. At the end of the day, I am not beat up because you lose the harsh jolts of a SRA quad. I do not think I will ever own another non SRA quad after being on the Outlaw. Plus, the 525 motor is a beast and puts out well over 40+ hp and a constant 27-30+ lbs of torque with very little money!

outlaw al
12-13-2007, 06:18 PM
hello i bought my 07 525irs in may 07 and i am completly happy!!!!!!! you will have to put a jd jet kit in tis quad to satisfy its speed fetish. she will love you for it! after you get it dialed in you will fly down those trails and soar off jumps with a nice forgiving land irs all the way!!!!!!!!!:chinese: :devil:

brian355ny
12-17-2007, 03:39 AM
thanks for all the input guys, i'll get the irs, have they been released yet, i do ride at yellow creek sometimes, i love it there and i have rolled my kfx700 a few times there, is the outlaw a reliable quad? what problems have you guys had with them? thanks for everything guys! i can't wait to get my irs 525

eerhard09
12-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Unless you are set on the color or do not want black, you may be able to pick up a new '07 for a killer deal! Might be worth a look....

brian355ny
12-18-2007, 09:57 AM
whats the differance between 07 and 08, i love the black and i know black is not 08 but i'm not going to buy an 07 just for looks, i plan on riding this quad for a few years so i would like to get the latest technology, and i wonder why polaris doesn't have any gncc xc1pro factory riders is it because of the 510cc. smiley said before he would never race a sa quad again then later that season he was riding a pred. i think it was 06 season, thanks guys Brian

katch26
12-18-2007, 10:23 AM
I dont know what the 510 has to do with it the gncc limit is 520, Polaris doesnt have a xc1 pro rider because theyre too cheap to flip the coin. They had one last year with Bryan baker but I dont know if they decided to keep him or just enter a ghost rider to lock up last place :D.........kidding

OutlawBill
12-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by katch26
I dont know what the 510 has to do with it the gncc limit is 520, Polaris doesnt have a xc1 pro rider because theyre too cheap to flip the coin. They had one last year with Bryan baker but I dont know if they decided to keep him or just enter a ghost rider to lock up last place :D

Next year GNCC XC1 Pro has a 450cc limit

Evasiveone
12-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
Next year GNCC XC1 Pro has a 450cc limit

Yea the 450 limit goes into effect for the '09 season and just for the XC1 Pro class. Not sure of what the point is. Sounds like a direct shot at the Outlaw 525 and the KTM 525XC machines. A couple of other rules have went into affect also that kind of also favors the new sponsor of GNCC.

katch26
12-18-2007, 01:35 PM
oh I just saw that....starting in 09

Evasiveone
12-18-2007, 03:26 PM
But why all of the sudden the change? The limit has been 520 CC in GNCC for some time now. The Polaris Outlaw 525 machines and the KTM 525XC are specifically built for the GNCC style racing. Then all of a sudden without warning or cause Can-Am/GNCC makes the move to limit the cc size to 450? GNCC is not MX racing it is XC racing and now that manufactureres are building XC specific machines they are trying to keep them from competing.

GE4x4
12-18-2007, 03:59 PM
There is no doubt Can-am has something to do about it. There 525cc limit has been around for years and the series has shown that cc's doesn't win, not the quad. So why change it then. They are also doing this to the WORCS series for 1/2 the 08 season. The only good thing about it, all you need is to add 20" tires to the Outlaw 450. There the same as the 525 in every way except bore and front shocks. Plus the KTM has the 450xc. So it should not effect Polaris or KTM in 09 as both will be more available.

pred174
12-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I think it well affect polaris just because there coming out with a very limited number of 450's

GE4x4
12-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by pred174
I think it well affect polaris just because there coming out with a very limited number of 450's

That is for 08. In 09 they should have full production. I think Polaris is feeling the market for the 450 now, that is why it is limited.

pred174
12-18-2007, 09:32 PM
yeah i agree with u there but i am getting pissed with no anoucnement of a mx rider for the pro ranks

katch26
12-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by pred174

it also effect Polaris because they built that IRS platform to perform in the gnarliest xc condition so now no place to showcase that. It's def weak all the way around though. IMO

LEOGM5150
12-25-2007, 05:23 PM
that is screwed up. i hope some pro riders still pick the ktm 450 and polaris 450 to compete in the gncc races. i guess polaris will have to sponser more riders for that to happen. i just don't see the 450 can am being copetitive there. wierd

eerhard09
12-26-2007, 06:14 AM
Hey, at least if you own a 525, you can always get a hold of a 450 head and piston and then meet the requirements. The KTM motor is a good motor with the cases and cylinder being the same on each model, just a smaller bore on the 450.

LEOGM5150
12-26-2007, 08:48 AM
oh yeah don't get me wrong the ktm is an awesome engine and it is easy enough to swap out the engines top end. i just think it was crappy on the part of the gncc comittee. i guess they can still build a few 450 irs easy enough.

GE4x4
12-26-2007, 09:35 AM
IMHO, I don't think you will see the irs Outlaw in the pro ranks anymore. With the SRA out any pro racing will go with it. The Pro ranks has showed that irs has no advantage what so ever over the SRA. These guys are just to good to have the irs help them. The irs has showed in the lower classes to do well, but I would allmost wager, there will be no IRS outlaws in the A, B, Pro-Am or Pro ranks. Not saying a isolated race one might race a irs, but the main season will be on SRA Outlaws. The IRS will be more for trail riders now.

LEOGM5150
12-26-2007, 09:48 AM
that makes alot of sense. i just thought that the pro riders really liked the irs quads for that sort of racing but what do i know. i suppose if they are all riding the sra polaris outlaws then we will know what they liked better. i am not a pro rider by any stretch but i also just have no interest in the irs quads. i will stick with the straight axel for any aggressive riding i do. i was not overly impressed with the 525 irs i got ride with in the dunes, the power was awesome. i just am a straight axel kind of guy. i know this is a bad comparison but i don't even like the irs on my sportsman 500 i think i am going to go back to a smaller straight axel 4x4 also. i just enjoyed the ride a bit more.

so ge4x4 are you going to the 525s or are you going with another irs quad or another brand alltogether. i know you race quite a bit what was your take on the irs quad you owned.

TYLER329
12-26-2007, 10:20 AM
I believe there will be at least 2 IRS 525's in the pro am class.

GE4x4
12-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Right now I'm leaning to one of the SRA. I sold my 500 Outlaw and it did me well. But cost of maintanence as just more to wear with the irs and cost of modding (suspension), tires and wheels are much easier to get, and I can narrow it to 46" in which I can't with the irs. This has got me going back to the sra. The Fox's that on the 450 is top notch and the 450 has still got plenty of HP. The 525 would be better to. I can get either for $6500otd, so it's just down to which one. The 450 has the better shocks, but the 525 has more power. But I've talked to a couple with a 525 and they say it can be a handfull in tight xc races. My dealer has the 450 in stock, but would need to find the 525. So the chances are very good I will be back on a sra for the 08 season.

LEOGM5150
12-26-2007, 10:38 AM
very cool, thanks for the response. i am torn myself betweent he 2 of them 525 or 450. the front shocks ont he 450 are definately better but if you are not racing in a class where the cc's are limited to 450 i think the 525 would still be my choice. i think you would definately need to change out the rims and tires for cc racing on the 450. you can always pick up a set of front shocks for the 525 and still maybe be ahead money whise and definately in the torque department. either way let us know what you get over on predatorowners.com i am really having a hard deciding which one i want.

Evasiveone
12-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Well the limit on CC's in GNCC is not going to affect any of us, unless you are one of the very few Pro racers frequenting this site ;). Sokra has said he is faster on the IRS still and will not totally give it up and Eichner has also said the IRS is his favorite machine and will ride it in some races this upcoming season also, but if you are a Polaris sponsored rider you ride what they tell you to.

But if given the choice between the 525S and the 450mxr for a tight GNCC course I would pick the 525. It has the better torque to be able to lug the engine a little more in the tight stuff. Yes the 450 has better shocks, but you will have to upgrade tires and rims immediately on the 450 plus you will want to revalve the shocks on whatever machine you get to match your weight.

Ogener
12-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Since there is going to be a new CC limit and the 525s cant race in the near future couldnt polaris just take the 450 and mount it int the IRS chassis? I would think it would be a simple switch becuase i believe everything is the same in the motor from the 525 to the 450 minus the bore? Or am I completely off?

LEOGM5150
12-26-2007, 09:41 PM
they could the only thing that is supposed to be different ont he engines is the cylinder bore and the piston size. it would be easy enough for a racer that was real serious about having a 450 irs to just swap top ends too.

pred174
12-26-2007, 09:57 PM
the only reason can am wanted this cause ever since eicher got his 525 they have only seen the back off his quad...o yeah they did beat him once but that might have been the only race they finished... not to mention i know that the ds 450 was ment to be an actual 400 when first designed and then the 450's started to come out...Im just wondering if they already had the engine made and to 400 spec and then had bored out not leaving the engine with a whole lot of potentional after 450cc.

LEOGM5150
12-26-2007, 10:15 PM
yeah that sounds about right.

steve123
01-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Hey,

I love my 06 outlaw 500, even though it's a heavy beast. I live in western Wasington trails are rooty & rock narrow threw the trees with lots tight corners and good hill climbs. Even the 06 outlaw has my buddys 700 r rapture looking at my tail lights. I think the irs is a great rough trail, hill climbing, jumping, sliding hard threw the corners platform. Irs for me on the trails. YOU'LL BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!

06 outlaw 500: Aeen Preformance racing air box( alium. pan, S&B clamp-on Outerwears shock), Scaryfast racing Powernow, K&N dynojet kit, Nicholiscycle NR520 kit, Trinityracing port in/ex & highflow valve, HMF full system Bill Balance, stock ignition, Percision racing steering stablizer, Maxxis Irazer f/r tires, Proarmor maxiriser footpegs, Trailrech Vapor, polaris outlaw crossed 6 guns shock covers.

08 Outlaw 450MXR: FMF Q/4- Powerbomb, K&N ,Proarmor maxiriser footpegs.