PDA

View Full Version : Camber ?

QuadTrix6
11-10-2002, 03:04 PM
I went to a MX race today and noticed that some of the quads had there front tires adjusted so that the top was in and the bottom was out on the front kind of like / \ instead of straight up and down, what would this do and how would i benefit from racing my quad like that ?

Ralph
11-10-2002, 03:11 PM
cause when you are going into a turn, your wheels will look like this l \( the l is the wheel on the inside of the turn, making a right han turn) instead of ur wheels going like this \ l( ur inside wheel to the turn, starts tilting to the outside witch is bad) . if u dont get it i will try to explain again...

11-10-2002, 03:13 PM
one of my friends races pro for lost creek cycles. he said at the most it should be 2 degrees in. any more and its not good.

QuadTrix6
11-10-2002, 03:20 PM
his was like 15 degrees it was completly noticable and he wasn't even sitting on it..at first i thought he broke or bent something

11-10-2002, 03:25 PM
was he good or pro or something or just a local. my guess just a local that saw it and wanted to turn his in some more

QuadTrix6
11-10-2002, 03:34 PM
yea he was a local but he was running with a local shop, ipersonally didn't think he was that impressive, and his quad wes decked out...but i was just curios as to why some one would do that..would you suggest the 2 degree for mx i might do it to mine when i get a arms

11-10-2002, 03:46 PM
yea 2 degrees is what he said. for those of you who might want to know who im talking about its erik paglugi or u might sound it out as palugi. he knows his stuff. id stick wit that for mx

frozenh2o
11-10-2002, 04:06 PM
The idea behind negitive camber (with the tops of the tires tilted inwards) is so that the tire will be straight up when you are in the turns and the quad is leaning, and the suspension is compressed. The tall tires that quads have also tend to roll over when cornered hard, and a bunch of negitive camber helps keep the tread in contact with the ground, compensating for the roll over. When looking at a quad, camber is deceiving, two degrees of camber is noticable, and 5 degrees looks like LOTS of tilt.

Ex_Rider43
11-10-2002, 06:16 PM
I think negative camber looks cool. how do you adust it on aftermarket a-arms???

11-10-2002, 06:23 PM
it may look cool but it puts stress on everything. to adjust it theres like like a nut on the inside of the aamrs toward the ends. its hard to explain without pics. just loosen it and spin. pics would help

honda250xrider
11-21-2002, 05:51 PM
i was wondering how do u measure the degree of negative camber and how much stress does it put into the arms ect?

Evan
11-22-2002, 01:16 AM
In theory the 2-5 degree of camber is good, but after doing some searching I found out that it also depends on the tires you are running. If you are running radials, then you do need camber 2-5 is what LSR recomends. If your running rounded tires like holeshots then you dont need camber becauase the tire is always in contact with the ground as it rolls over. I think this is finally becoming known because if you look at old huevoes videos, the quads had extreme camber, now, when looking at the latest huevos, and the race quads today, the tires are straight up.

11-22-2002, 02:47 AM
Glad you mentioned LSR check out their site they have some good info on suspension.

LSR (http://www.lsracing.com)

LSR castor and camber info (http://www.lsracing.com/installguides.php?step=4&igid=5)

boogiechile
11-22-2002, 07:30 AM
I have found that 2 degrees negative works best for me when running holeshot tires. The trend used to be to run 4 to 4.5 degrees negative but that was when everyone used the grooved car type radials.