PDA

View Full Version : Who knows anything about chainsaws?

Flyin-Low
12-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Well here's the story so far. My dad had the same old chainsaw for like 15 years and it still runs like a champ, but the chainbrake broke and he can't get parts for it. I think it's a Poulan 70 or 90cc.

So my mom wants to get him a new one for christmas, and I was talking with him about chainsaws a while back and he said he doesn't need something as big anymore. I think he pointed out a Stihl 45cc one that he liked, but I can't be sure. So my mom tells me to go downstairs and check out the one she bought for him, and this is it http://echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=CS-346&Category=CHAINSAW..

So my questions are, is Echo a good brand? Will this thing be enough to drop fairly large trees?

-Martin

416exfreak
12-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Echo is among the best. Stihl and Polan(sp) are also among the best.

With a 16" bar, it should be capable of dropping something fairly big. If it cant, then cut wedges from it, then push it over.;)

CHAR250R
12-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Stihl and Johnson Red are the 2 best. Echo is a good home owners saw. That Echo should last a while, and be trouble free.

Flyin-Low
12-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by CHAR250R
Stihl and Johnson Red are the 2 best. Echo is a good home owners saw. That Echo should last a while, and be trouble free.

That's good to hear, we live on a pretty big farm that has forest on three of the sides.. so at least once a year we have to go around and clean it all up. That's what it's main use will be, but every once in a while he needs to cut big trees.

-Martin

troyleepred719
12-12-2007, 08:28 PM
1. Stihl, Husqvarna
2. Echo
3.Poulan

thats the way I rank them, after owning all three currently and after choosing, i brought Home a new Stihl Farmboss....

Bradracer18
12-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure if they are still being made, but a real good(probably the best) chain saw used to be a schindiwinda(spelling?).

Echo is a very good saw too!

mittman
12-12-2007, 08:57 PM
my pap has a brand new stihl (used once) and he would rather use his 15 yr old echo he loves that thing to death the only thing he has had to replace was the chain nothing major yet

Kickstarts-suck
12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
We have had 2 poulans and they were both a POS my uncle has one too and its a POS.

They call then "poulan" because your always "pullin" on them trying to get them to crank.

We have 2 echos(weedeater and edger) both run great with no problems.

We now have a husqvarna and its amazing!

Flyin-Low
12-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by troyleepred719
1. Stihl, Husqvarna
2. Echo
3.Poulan

thats the way I rank them, after owning all three currently and after choosing, i brought Home a new Stihl Farmboss....

I was JUST looking at the Stihl Farmboss, sure looks like a solid saw. I would imagine they arn't cheap though!

Hopefully this Echo works for him.

-Martin

mojo123
12-13-2007, 07:03 AM
my unlcle works at a lawn mowing shop and he has alot of echos, IMO there pretty good

biker
12-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Echo are nice saws! If it was'nt already bought the Stihl Farmboss would be the way to go!

Slinky
12-13-2007, 09:03 AM
i dont think i would have gone with an echo, especially that one...

i've used stihl all my life...my father has a 25 yr old 028 that will cut down anything you put in front of it....

i just pickedup a stihl ms 180 mini boss for small cleanup work.

Did she buy it at home depot? If your going to buy a saw your best bet is to go to an actual dealer and talk to them about whats going to be done with it, its also not a good thing to just go pick up a saw for someone. I've had people do this with equipment for me and i feel bad because i usually end up bringing it back and getting what i want or need.

Echo is not a bad saw, just not what i'd put at the top of my list to buy.

like said before

1. Stihl
2. Husky
3. Echo if its their comercial stuff.

CorvetteZ06
12-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Stihl is def. the best.

TANNER250r
12-13-2007, 12:21 PM
I work at a stihl dealership. There is nothing better than a German made saw. But you do have to run them with the stihl oil or they do get plugged up pretty easley. I think the ms 290 is the best homeowner saw out there right now. But have had 2 nice echos in the past nice light saw.

Ruby Soho
12-13-2007, 01:28 PM
stihl and husky's are my 2 favorites. my old man has 2 stihls and a husky, aswell as 2 stihl deck saws

nothin better:p

cbr929rr
12-15-2007, 04:42 PM
stihl and husqvarna (jonsered is the same as husky in newer models with a different grip handle) Echo is an ok homeowner saw but 45cc is only good for about 12-14" tree. A husqvarna 350 51cc is good up to almost 18". Check out arboristsite.com

honda8&3
12-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Echo is a great home owner saw, I have a Husqvarna rancher with an 18 Inch bar. Great for cutting up our yearly 6 cord of wood. He should like it prolly a little less power, but it all depends on what he does with it. I'd recommend Husqvarna, or stihl. Poulan kinda suck if you ask me.;)

honda8&3
12-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by CorvetteZ06
Stihl is def. the best.

What I have found is that stihl doesn't have as much vibration as Husky's. Both are excellent IMO:cool:

honda8&3
12-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm a landscaper/arborist (1 1/2 years) and I go to a trade school (sophmore) and have been taking Horticulture as my shop for a year now and I'd say your best bet for saws professionally are stihl. Then Husky. This'll be my next chain saw.:cool: 20 Inch bar

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS441.html

Wheelie
12-15-2007, 09:19 PM
The technology Stihl brags about in the 441 is technology that Husqvarna and Jonsered have had for almost 15 years.

Stihl builds a decent product and has good service, but their quality is starting to fall, IMO. Also, most Stihl's are built in Virginia Beach, not Germany.

Another note, Jonsered and Husqvarna are the same company, Electrolux. Electrolux builds: Kirby Vacuums, Fridgidaire, AYP, Poulan, Husqvarna and Jonsered. There is more that I'm forgetting, I'm sure. Most of your Sears Lawn and Garden equipment is built by Electrolux.

Personally, I think Husqvarna and Jonsered build a better saw than Stihl. Stihl has a more complete network of dealers though.

Echo and Shindawia also build very good product in their own right. Can't go wrong with either one.

MO-EX-RIDER
12-16-2007, 05:57 PM
husky and stihl are the top dogs..the new stihls' arent built like the old 0 models tho. but echo is a quality company, but arent that great unless they are the commercial grade-keep all warranty/purchase information.....you may need it!

search ebay for a parts only saw and send me a model # and i may be able to get what you need:D