PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changes

Jisthangin01
12-12-2007, 04:38 PM
My buddy just bought a new 450 and he wanted to know if there was oils that were best for the oil changes. He also wants to know the intervals that are best. Its mainly ridden for fun, trails, some racing. We'll be ridin out on the ice soon, so that'll work it a bit more. Thanks for any info!

TRX450RACER174
12-12-2007, 05:11 PM
I can never stress that frequent oil changes on these motors is a good habit to get into, i race mine mostly and change the oil after every two practices and after every race, i know this might sound like over kill but as hard as you work that motor it's good to get into a good routine with oil changes, and i run the Honda HP4 without moly.

SpeedyWho
12-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Well put, you cant change it too much, theres lots of oil brands and most of them will work great. I only use Honda oils.

12-12-2007, 07:37 PM
oil stays clean if your out in front :) when your riding behind you get all the dust that really makes your oil need a change soon. When I go riding when i'm out in front my airfilter and oil stay lmost the same as when I started. If i'm tailgating my brother to go faster my air filter and oil need a change after a day of riding basically.

d3ktrix
12-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
oil stays clean if your out in front :) when your riding behind you get all the dust that really makes your oil need a change soon. When I go riding when i'm out in front my airfilter and oil stay lmost the same as when I started. If i'm tailgating my brother to go faster my air filter and oil need a change after a day of riding basically.

Not to mention all the dust from riding behind people can't be good for ur lungs :P

I change my oil like every 3rd ride.
I use Rotella.

12-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Not to mention all the dust from riding behind people can't be good for ur lungs :P

I change my oil like every 3rd ride.
I use Rotella.

very true i probally have eaten so much sand because here in florida wehavent had rain in such a long time walking makes dust where we ride haha i normally cough a little if i have to ride behind either that or its because we like to have fun and rock out on the way home haha

d3ktrix
12-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
very true i probally have eaten so much sand because here in florida wehavent had rain in such a long time walking makes dust where we ride haha i normally cough a little if i have to ride behind either that or its because we like to have fun and rock out on the way home haha

At least twice when I was done pit riding on dry days I could feel my lungs actually burning like I had heart burn when I was done riding.
And I normally try and stay out of the dust and hole my breath when I'm in a bad cloud of it.

mx1791
12-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
At least twice when I was done pit riding on dry days I could feel my lungs actually burning like I had heart burn when I was done riding.
And I normally try and stay out of the dust and hole my breath when I'm in a bad cloud of it.
remember when i first got my 450, at the pit it was misting out and the dust stuck to our quads like a film. just think, thats what our lungs probably looked like haha.

anyway, sadly i dont change my oil as much as i should, i think i went 3 races and tons of practices/pit riding on a single oil change once :ermm: i gotta break the bad habbit of not changing it. i use rotella also

Jisthangin01
12-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys! Ya'll were alot of help. Well were lookin at bout 10 inches of snow tomorrow so we'll be out ridin all evening lol. Have fun out there!