PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Drag Cam

blue_ex_rider
12-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I know there is alot of questions and things on here about cams and I ahve read about alll of them and jsut havent found the answer I am looking for. I ahve a 440ex with a 7mm stroker makes it a 490. I ahve all the head work done to run any cam needed. But all that I do with me bike is drag race 200 and 300ft dirt so I guess I a mlooking for the best low to mid range cam for drag racing. But I ahvent decide which cam to go with . Some say the TC would be best for me and I ahve heard some good things about the sparks x 4 . I know the big web cam is for more top end. So really what I am looking for is the best drag racing cam out there for a honda 400ex. Anyone with any help would be great. Also I will have a high comp in this thing as well.

XR650
12-14-2007, 02:43 AM
what about "for dirt only". I've heard Mike builds some very fast ex's, what cam does he use, anyone know ???

blue_ex_rider
12-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I dont know does he have a number or a website I can get ahold of him at.

AutoRoc
12-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Unless leaving at an idle is a rule, I don't see a reason to cam it for low-mid power gains. Drag racing is about maximizing your power for the rpm range you are in while racing. 5000-7500 rpm range I would guess in a cammed/ported setup. Adding stroke and more cylinder volume will also call for even more duration and in turn you can run more lift. For example, a stage 2 cam in a 440 is nice, some say it's too aggressive for a 400/416. A 490 would DEFINATELY want a more aggressive lobe, therefore a stage 3 could be looked at as the next option and if they designed that for max effort 440's, it would still be somewhat inadequite for a stroker with 50 exatra cc's. Goodluck! It sounds mean!